Goodnight Scrub NP/FR

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 15:33
ThreadID: 98050 Views:5626 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Thinking of having a look at this and surrounding areas, has anyone got some first hand knowledge? Cannot seem to find much info.
Will be towing a caravan. Appreciate any info.
Thanks,
Mike.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 16:43

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 16:43
I was up there in July 2010. Camping in the national park had been closed although there was camping at Paradise Dam. We chose to stay at Mingo Crossing which was a much nicer camp and a short drive to Goodnight Scrub. Boollboonda Tunnel is not far away either.
Myles.

AnswerID: 495029

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 16:46

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 16:46
Let me know if there is anything in particular you want to know… bearing in mind it’s been two years since I was there.
Myles.
FollowupID: 770688

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 21:47

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 21:47
Myles,
Thanks for the great photos and info.Much appreciated.

Mike.
FollowupID: 770709

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 07:29

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 07:29
Hi Miles,
Well, that's blown it.
The whole world knows about Mingo Crossing now. LOL

Giday Miles. I still owe you that beer.

I have included a pic of the gents amenities just after the flood to give you some idea of the height it got to.

For those that do not know this van park suffered major damage during the Queensland floods and was out of action for some time. I believe it is up and running now though. A quick phone call to Mount Perry Council Chambers should clarify that if anyone is concerned.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770721

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 08:03

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 08:03
Here is a Newspaper article from the floods showing the old and new bridge.

The New bridge was under water.

Mingo Crossing in flood

FollowupID: 770724

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 09:06

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 09:06
Myles,
I do apologise, I spelt your name before with an I instead of the Y.
I guess that is going to cost me another beer. LOL

Hi Lyn, yep they said the bridge would never go under but it did. And from what I have seen there, high ground along the road out of the flood water would have been pretty scarce once it got over the bridge. The road would have been cut in several places in both directions well before the bridge went under.

I have been told that 22,000 litre water tanks from farms and Mingo Crossing van park were seen being washed over the Paradise Dam wall.

You would not think it could get that high just looking at the place in normal conditions but that Burnett River drains a hell of a lot of country.

Nice little van park though, all the same, I can well recommend it.

Cheers, Bruce

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770727

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 21:50

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 21:50
Hey Bruce,
I only told Mike.
It may have been two years ago but I haven’t forgotten the beer you owe. I see you have a different rig.
Hard to believe the bridge went under. Has the camp recovered?
Myles.
FollowupID: 770768

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 13:33

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 13:33
Hi Myles.
I believe that Mingo Crossing is up and running again but I am not absolutely sure. My guess is that it would be by now. A phone call to Mt Perry Council would confirm this though.
I do not know the new phone number of the park.

My niece and her husband Trevor were managing the place as you know and his father drives the water truck to deliver drinking and shower water out to the park so we are kept updated although the kids are no longer there. They left about 5 months before the flood.

Most of the park was OK just mainly mud every where but I was told that all the electrical stuff, including wiring had to be replaced throughout the park including the underground mains, which I believe were up for upgrading anyway as they wanted to increase the number of powered sites.

The other major problem was the state of the art sewerage system with onsite disposal which had completely broken down due to the saturation of the soils with ground and flood water and a heavy layer of mud on top.

I believe they have resolved the issue with kids turning off the pumps so I would suggest YOU may be able to get a hot shower there no without the water going off one minute into a 3 minute showerr. Did you enjoy that short shower. Barely time to wash the nether regions was it. LOL

The only reason the showers were time limited is that all water has to be trucked in due to the newness of the dam. At the time we were there there was still a lot of rotting vegetation in the bottom of the river so the river water had a bit of a crook smell to it.

That is also why the taps at the powered sites are not suitable for drinking, they are river water I believe.

I the coming years Mingo Crossing will become one brilliant caravan and camping ground.
Still, it is one very good spot now with the river alongside.

Yep, I updated the multi valve turbo for this V8 petrol as I was sick of spending money on it and I still had not put a 3" exhaust or an intercooler on it so I was up for more money so I sold it and got this one for nearly the same money. I am very happy with this one. More go than a turbo and no lag. 23 L/100 for the petrol as opposed to 17.5L/100 for the turbo.

The van was updated as we wanted a seperate loo from the shower as the loo got wet whenever we showered.

For those who are interested
Mingo Crossing is between Ban Ban Springs and Mt Perry on the Burnett River to the south west of Bundaberg. At our last visit 2 years ago it had only 12 powered sites and plenty of non powered camping sites.

It is listed in Camps Australia 5 as #462 but the phone number is wrong .

All who have been there would recommend it don't doubt.

Struth, Ive done it now. LOL
Hoo Roo Myles.
Cheers, Bruce.
Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770815

Reply By: mynance - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 17:55

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 17:55
You can get in from the Morganville side we used to camp on the bank of the river at least 4 times a year between 1985 and 1998. You could stand in the water up to your armpits and look down and see your toes.

Our camp ground was on the northern side of the river up from where the dam is now, there was a platypus home or whatever you call it where the wall is now.

If you want to drive around the old forestry tracks you will need to good maps and or a local with you as it is easy to get disorientated in the scrub.

Would be much easier to camp at Mingo and venture across the crossing to One tree hill and if the Dam level has droped you might be able to get to Kalawa Hut.

Myles
AnswerID: 495034

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 21:50

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 21:50
Myles,
Terrific info Thanks.

Mike.
FollowupID: 770710

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 18:07

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 18:07
We were up at the Dam a few weeks ago and I think it is still full.

New camping facilities are available at the Dam and the Crossing. Both have BBQ's etc and there is a Kiosk at the Dam at the information center.

As was stated it is VERY easy to get bushed on the logging tracks thoughout the Scrub.

In the surrounding area there are town like Biggenden (great butcher shop for meat), Mt Perry ............just because it is Mt Perry. Gayndah....overrun with flying foxes.

If you want to go a little further the RM Williams Learning Centre is open at Eidsvold which is worth a visit.

RM Willliams Learning Center

AnswerID: 495036

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 21:55

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 21:55
Lyn Hi,
Muchly appreciate the reply,
Mt Perry !!!! Long story from quite a few moons ago. Thanks for the reminder.
Mike.
FollowupID: 770712

Sponsored Links