Katherine gorge tours

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 21:23
ThreadID: 98059 Views:2156 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any info re tours of Katherine gorge? We are staying at nitmiluk np and they seem to be the only tour operators that we can see. I'd be interested to know if they have a monopoly or if there are some smaller tour companies out the too. We're a family looking to do a half day tour, or a few hours. Opinions very welcome!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jedo_03 - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 22:18

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 22:18
We are staying at Springvale CP in West Katherine... (Near the Low Level Bridge...
There seem to be other tour operaters around: Adventure Tours and Connections, and we've come across a few smaller tour operators...
Best bet would be a trip into Katherine and visit the tourist Info centre and ask them...

AnswerID: 495053

Reply By: Member - Allan K (NT) - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 23:16

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 23:16
If you want a tour of the gorge, then there is only one operator with boats in the water. You could do a self-drive canoe tour (canoes for hire if you don't have your own). There are also walking tracks taking in views of the gorge.
There are other gorges in the general vicinity worth seeing such as Edith Falls (walk to the top, it is worth the effort) and Umbrawarra Gorge in from Pine Creek, where you do not need a tour guide.
AnswerID: 495056

Reply By: Top End Az - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 23:47

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 23:47
There is a monopoly on the cruises but they are very good. Due to the heat at this time of year I would do the 2 hour morning or evening cruise which is plenty. I did the afternoon cruise in August and it was great.
AnswerID: 495057

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 23:50

Sunday, Sep 16, 2012 at 23:50
Hi Astro

Basically you can go up the Gorge by boat or canoe, helicopter flight or take walks (self or guided). They can all be booked at the Nitmiluk Visitor Centre on site.
https://www.nitmiluktours.com.au/tours/. The boats at least seem to be a monopoly. You can take your own canoes, but a payment that has to be made when registering.

We took the shorter boat tour through the first two gorges; you can go on a three gorge tour. The sunset dinner cruise is very popular, but i choose day tours for photography.

The walks are quite taxing, and as it is along the gorge, there will be a lot of repetition to get to each point if taking a walk each day. We did not tackle to long walks.

It pays to stay on site as it is a 30 kilometre drive from Katherine. We spent our entire stay out there, even driving into town for services, shops and sightseeing.

I have a travelogue in My Blog from our 2009 visit.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 495058

Reply By: rumpig - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 20:45

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 20:45
we did the 3 gorge tour with our family (2 adults and 2 kids) when we were there late in the dry season last year, it was money well spent IMHO. we chose the 3 gorge over the 2 gorge trip as it seemed to be a bit more relaxed time frame wise, going for the swim and morning tea was better then rushing in and out IMHO. personally i don't think the 3rd gorge itself was any better then the first 2 gorges, but i liked the longer time frame of the 3 gorge trip.
the organised tour is good as the guides driving the boats give you a great run down on their culture along the way, you'll be surprised at what you learn on that trip.

you can see where the money goes when you start looking at some of the infrastructure they have there....

relaxing in one of the gorges after morning tea.....

AnswerID: 495122

Sponsored Links