Tyre pressure monitor

Submitted: Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 17:52
ThreadID: 98072 Views:3345 Replies:11 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Am considering investing in a set of tyre pressure sensors, and would appreciate hearing recommendations from yourselves. Are they all wireless? And do they also sense the temperature?

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 18:15

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 18:15
Hello Russler, Have a look at these threads, # 69889 & # 77509 and you will find a fair bit of info on TPM's. The threads are like me (a bit old!) but most of the info would probably be relevant today.

We no longer have a Van, but they are a worthwhile investment in my opinion. Good luck in your search & safe travelling.
AnswerID: 495104

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 19:47

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 19:47
Hi Russler,

Yes they are all wireless. It is the only practical way to connect to a spinning wheel.

And yes, they all claim to sense temperature, however......... only those that have the sensors/transmitters inside the tyre can measure the temperature with any accuracy. Those that are simply screwed onto the valve stem can read pressure OK but with the sensor out in the ambient, that is what they will read...... ambient.

I have an internal type and "Wouldn't Leave Home Without Them", but for a wide opinion, do a search on this forum or look at the threads that Barry has referenced.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495112

Reply By: travellers - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 19:50

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 19:50
Hello Russler. I have the on valve wireless units and thoroughly recommend the idea. They have saved my tyres plus alerted me to a lost wheel. BUT you must get solid valve stems particularly if you intend to do rough road work. I wouldn't do caravanning wiyhout them

Wikki
AnswerID: 495113

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 21:42

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 21:42
Hi Russler

I just came across this:http://www.exploroz.com/Members/92954.75/12/2010/Product_Review_No_6_-_Tyre_Pressure_Monitoring_Systems__TPMS__-_Sensatyre___Tyredog_Systems.aspx

There have been many many threads on tyre pressure monitors, and the pros and cons of external versus internal.

As we have a large tow vehicle and caravan, it has been recommended that a monitor be place at the front of the caravan and hard wired to the car to avoid interference in signal to the in cab monitor.

We have not fitted monitors as yet.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 495124

Reply By: Danna - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 23:06

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 23:06
Hi Russel
this may help you more than other reviews:

[url=http://www.productreview.com.au/r/tyredog-4-wheel-wtpms-td-1000a-x/220803.html]

I have my TPMs from there too. I'm happy with quality ans service.
Dana
AnswerID: 495132

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 23:40

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 23:40
I cannot believe the integrity of that review. Firstly it is beyond credence that TJM or any other retailer would exchange the product six times before refunding the purchase.

Secondly, it is unreasonable to expect that the quality of the product would differ between retailers, TJM or a Taiwanese dealer on eBay or anyone else.

It is more than likely that the reviewer has a grudge with TJM otherwise he would tell the story without specifying names. It smells but maybe it's true?

Having said that, my first monitor was Tyredog. The first sensor failed within 200km and the second failed within 400km. Both were replaced under warranty but by then I had changed to Inawise internal system and have had faultless performance.

Mind you, all this was a couple of years ago and the product range and performance has undoubtably changed since then.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 770773

Follow Up By: Danny 1 - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:05

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:05
Yes i had the same prob..4 complete sets before they gave $$$ back.
FollowupID: 770797

Follow Up By: Danna - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:45

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:45
Hi Allan
The review writer doesn’t specify any particular outlet of TJM.
TJMs are licensed franchises, and it’s up to the owner how they handle sale and returns. So if the writer would have something against that TJM, it wouldn’t be mentioned which one in Sydney it was?
Very obviously the writer was very determined as there is mentioned: “The idea sounded so wonderful”
Reviewer must be something like elect. technician or so as there is mentioned work quality, which average person wouldn’t know what he or she talking about.
My set from ebay is made in Taiwan and one I returned after battle, stupid comments and trying another two sets to TJM, was made in China for them.
That is my whole story, that’s why I made this link to that review here.
Cheers Dana

Ps. Maybe you may start believing that is honest review as people coming to back it up independently….
FollowupID: 770801

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 14:53

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 14:53
This could go on forever Danna, but I'll let you in on how I know the reviewer is lying.

He claims to be an electronic "expert" and that he "looked the the soldering and I have just one verdict – cold soldering". Well when you remove the cap the only component visible is the battery. All else lies below in a sealed chamber and is neither accessible nor visible. A clear lie.

And if he were "expert" in electronics he would be pretty stupid to accept SIX faulty replacements and then go and buy the same product from another supplier. He would have to expect that they would be no better than the first.

He story does more than smell, it stinks. He probably has a gripe with TJM and is going to give them the stick.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 770820

Reply By: Danna - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 23:53

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 23:53
Hi Allan
You see, your sensors failed as well....
My TPMs I bought from EBay still works OK, after 2years.....
Why should that review be dishonest? I wouldn't be so paranoid and see something what is not there....
Cheers Dana
AnswerID: 495133

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 08:33

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 08:33
Well Danna, it seems odd if the Tyredogs marketed by TJM are of lesser quality than from any other source. Unless of course there is more than one Tyredog manufacturing facility and TJM is purchasing from a crummy source whilst all others are from a better facility, but that is unlikely. Wouldn't some eBay sellers also be sourcing from the same manufacturer?

Secondly, while I am not a TJM devotee, they do have some reputation to protect and it seems improbable that they would persist with six product exchanges before returning the customer's money.

Like I said.... it smells and the story has probably been embroidered at the least.

But as you say, my Tyredog sensors failed as well. I cannot say if they performed OK following replacement as they have not been refitted.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 770784

Reply By: NS_SWB - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 09:25

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 09:25
We had the Inawise Off Road system on our LC200 and would definitely recommend it. We travelled with another vehicle without a TPMS and were always stopping to help them with blowouts.

The unit always worked well and gave both pressure and temp readings accurately.

The offroad setting was great once you had aired down too.

You'll save the cost of the unit if you save a single tyre not to mention the safety issues and lost time on a trip.

This will be the first accessory fitted to the next vehicle.
AnswerID: 495139

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 09:47

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 09:47
And it's not just the cost of the blown tyre either,

Once they blow out, the disintegrating tyre usually tries to destroy any mudflap, flare or protective cover, within reach. Not to mention the occasional black pinstripping on paint work too.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 770791

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:32

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:32
I tried several different sets none of which were much good in my opinion. They took ages to send data when you stopped and were a pain in the A to reset the alarms after changing tyre pressures. Then 2 (?) years back I came across a Taiwanese brand called "Kipoint". The alarm pressures of the normal set didn't suit low 4WD pressures but the man i contacted said they could alter to suit me at the factory before sending to me which they did. BEST TPM I have had. You see tyre pressures as soon as turned on (don't have to wait for wheel to turn), are accurate, and a breeze to set up.

I had a look on the web to see if still available and appears so

http://kipoint.com.tw/index_down.php?alltit=---&sele=hstyle&TtCH=abc&hstyle=7&HPnum=1
AnswerID: 495145

Reply By: RobAck - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 17:51

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 17:51
We have used TPMS for the last fifteen years or so and had the opportunity to test several in conjunction with tyre evaluation to collect data. As well we see al types on our tours so have a reasonable idea of what works when and where.

We use two as we run two sets of rims and tyres. The AirAware system as supplied by Toyota and used to be available from Repco and other outlets but sadly this one seems to be no longer imported from the USA but an excellent system for any tyres and can handle up to six wheels and tyres

The second system we use in conjunction with the camper trailer is the Sensa Tyre system which handes 10 wheels and tyres and whilst a bit harder to use offers excellent information

The key issue is to find one that does both temperature and pressure as temperature is the first indicator of an impending failure rather than loss of pressure. Secondly be aware that some types that fit on valves are tyre specific and by that I mean LHF is not interchangeable with any other tyre. So if that fails you have to source a LHF which is a pain. But not all are like that

Are they worth it? Most definately as for the cost of a tyre or two they will help you a lot

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 495171

Reply By: Member - Russler - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 19:39

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 19:39
Hi all, thanks for all of your feedback. Plenty of info to read and digest. I didn't describe my setup ... just for the GU atm (ie. 5 wheels), but the idea of some spare capacity to accommodate a camper trailer is appealing.
AnswerID: 495181

Reply By: R Send - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 09:19

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 09:19
How easy is it to use these systems in an environment where tyre pressures are being adjusted regularly to suit to driving conditions eg corrugations, sand etc?
Bob
AnswerID: 495226

Sponsored Links