Prado Suspension

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 981 Views:3077 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Another suspension question! I've been looking at upgrading the shocks & springs in the Prado for a little while. I've been to ARB, OL & TJM etc, and I don't like the fact that the only solution they put forward is their own products. Where's the choice? Anyway, I think I've decided on Rancho shocks (Rs5000 front, Rs9000 rear) and King Springs (already have a set of these in the rear). Have any Prado owners used this combination? What do you think? Any other comments?
Thanks Grinner
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darryl - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
Grinner

Looking at upgrading my Prado's suspension soon & that is the same option I have concluded to.
Let me know how it goes
AnswerID: 2916

Reply By: Sam - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
Grinner,

just incase you haven't seen it, there is an article on a Prado in this month's editition of Australian 4WD Monthly. There was also an article on a Prado in one of the back issues (can't remember what month). These may help give you some ideas.
AnswerID: 2917

Reply By: Peter - Saturday, Apr 20, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 20, 2002 at 00:00
Grinner,
I am a serious off roader and spend a lot of time on the dirt. The original suspension gave way under a caravan tow situation...Now i own a camper trailer..ARB has down me well on the front... No problems there at all.. But i Chose a local firm who gave me the the best springs for the longest wheel travel on a Prado i have ever seen yet. My wheels fall out of the arches on suspension travel.. Give me a bell if y ou live in WA and want the dealer ....CHEERS Pete
AnswerID: 2963

Reply By: paul - Monday, Apr 22, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 22, 2002 at 00:00
Pete, ring ring - tell us about these springs, I wanna put new springs on soon - am looking at King Springs cause they're cheap and other Prado owners recommend them. What sort do you have and where do you get them - I live in Qld.
AnswerID: 2987

Reply By: Trevor Purvis - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2002 at 00:00
I have recently upgraded my prado's suspension with Old Man Emu heavy duty springs and Nitro charger shocks, the difference is phenominal on the rough stuff, but the big suprise was the dramatic ride improvement on the road. A flatter more stable ride all round. I'm really impressed with the overall improvement after a fairly rough trip around Tassie.
AnswerID: 3025

Follow Up By: Rob P - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Trevor,

Would you recommend the upgrade to OME system ...like ARB sells ? I find the that the front end of the Prado is a bit sloppy at the best of time.
cheers
FollowupID: 1670

Reply By: Trevor - Friday, May 31, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 31, 2002 at 00:00
Dear Rob B, The Prado's front end was VERY sloppy, before two major improvements. One was the OME heavy duty springs and Nitro charger shocks and the second ,more recent improvement was the new Goodyear Trinuum AT/R tyres. That combination is way more directional and stable. The steering, damping and even road noise is now fantastic compared to the original springs and crappy Dunlop grand treks.I spent a lot of time talking to people before commiting to these products.
I'm now a happy man.
AnswerID: 3938

Follow Up By: Rob P - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00
Trevor,

Which type of spring/shocker combo did you go for ? The medium or hard setup ?
I'm currently debating which way to go. If you went with the hardest setup
did you find the ride very harsh unloaded ?

Thanks
FollowupID: 1689

Follow Up By: Trevor Purvis - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00
Rob, I have started with the medium springs front and back. The prado has a Sahara bar and lights, which necessitated the new springs in front, and medium at the back at the moment. I will upgrade to heavier springs at the back when we set off with a campertrailer. ARB have commited to changing them over at cost.
FollowupID: 1690

Sponsored Links