Lake Eyre - could this be one of those wet years

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 00:32
ThreadID: 9810 Views:2297 Replies:5 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
I heard on the news tonight that there are flood waters in Central Queensland due to the heavy rains and that Longreach is expecting floods to arrive. Could it be one of those years that only happen about once every ten years where waters make it to Lake Eyre.

I gather that 1000 kilometres from Lake Eyre, heavy rains cause the Thomson and Barcoo Rivers to swell. These rivers flow and join near Windorah to form the famous Cooper Creek. When the Cooper floods, water can be carried towards Lake Eyre and whole ecosystems come alive. I read in my Australian Geographic that "Aquatic plants, shield shrimps, and micro-organisms blossom in the nutrient rich water. Catfish, grunters, bony bream and other freshwater fish flushed downstream from permanent waterholes thrive on the plants and insects. Seagulls, pelicans, ducks and other waterbirds arrive in numbers that cloud the sky to feast and breed. Months, or sometimes years later, the sun sucks the life from the river and the desert reclaims it." Aust Geographic June 1992.

Sounds like this has a chance of being one of those years - one in ten I gather. Hope that I can get there before the excitement is over - September I am going unless my urges become irresistable.

Andrew 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing" Where are all da Jens?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:08

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:08
Well that it'd be great...we'll be there in June, but if it isn't wet it will still be great and I can't wait to see it..

LynLife - Live it , Love it !

AnswerID: 43312

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:24

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:24
Imagine what a tragedy it would be if there was water and birds and flowers and stuff in June but that by September it was gone!! And I might have to wait another ten years for water! Do you remember the great flood of 1924 - tell us about how it was as a single girl in her 20's living through that experience.
Cya Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing" Where are all da Jen's?
FollowupID: 305613

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:41

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:41
Well son....

what can I tell you...shootin and guttin the feral animals and salting them [plenty of that around] to preserve them for when the menfolk came back....just before they left I told them they would be having salted mystery meat, billy tea and damper...and I didn't see them again...do you think it was the menu choices or the sight of my bloomers filling up with wind whilst hanging on the line I'd rigged up that put them off!!????...

MaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaLife - Live it , Love it !

FollowupID: 305618

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:54

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:54
Maaaaaaaaaaaaa

I reckon it was the wind. Try some De-Gas - my Jen finds it terrific. Doona stays on the bed now.....

(I am in trouble)2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing" Where are all da Jen's?
FollowupID: 305628

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:21

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:21
you are if she reads this thread.....

Life - Live it , Love it !

FollowupID: 305630

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:34

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:34
Well I think with that smart comment by my heavily winded husband that he needn't worry about the doona ever coming off the bed again. He can go sleep in his tent! I told him he had better be nice to me or I could tell a few stories about him that would turn him red and make or break the reputation he has developed on this forum. What is it about guys and wind??2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 305632

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:41

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:41
Well this thread has moved along somewhat..from a possible wet Lake Eyre to wind...lol...and I"m sure the Forumites would love to hear some stories about Andrew...I know his Maaaaaaaaaaa would....hahaahha

Lyn

Life - Live it , Love it !

FollowupID: 305633

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:35

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:35
I will be a good boy. I will be a good boy. I will be a good boy. I will be a good boy. I will be a good boy. I will be a good boy. I will be a good boy. I will be a good boy. I will be a good boy. I will be a good boy.
Andrew
(PS Never marry a teacher)2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 305639

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:33

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:33
When in June Lyn as i am also going again around then .Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 305706

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:57

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:57
Hi Bob,

not sure we are leaving Romsey on the 10th...as yet I'm not sure when we expect to be there...

LynLife - Live it , Love it !

FollowupID: 305724

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 13:23

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 13:23
I'll be a week or so infront of you .Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 305725

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:42

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:42
Hmmm, I wonder where would be the best vantage point?
Perhaps the north side of the lake where Cooper Creek debouches, perhaps the south side just off the highway about 1/3rd of the way between Marree & William Creek (and where we camped last July where there was water in LE South but no early morning swim because of the miles of sticky mud in the way), perhaps east of William Creek, or perhaps Mullarina Camping Ground?
Remember, too, that an inland lake is an inland lake is an inland lake - Coongie Lakes are a tad more permanent.
Also, the likely teeming birdlife will probably be on islands in the lake that we mere mortals couldn't get to without a shallow-draft boat.
Nevertheless it would no doubt be an experience to remember.
DB
AnswerID: 43314

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:25

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:25
Western Queensland Flood Information2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
AnswerID: 43322

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:27

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:27
Don't forget the Diamantina river, Andrew, it runs water into Lake Eyre more often than the Cooper, though the Cooper usually has a bigger flow. The Diamantina and Georgina(Eyre Creek) Rivers run in Goyder's lagoon, which overflows , when full, into the Warburton Creek, which runs finally into Lake Eyre.

The status of these inland rivers is a real "boom or bust" event. We are watching big mobs of water going down the Diamantina at moment, with floodwaters from Winton, Middleton and Kynuna. Rainfalls in the area up to, and over 300mm, have caused lot of run-off, which often takes weeks to disappear.

Can email you some photos of river. Last event of this magnitude was 2000.

Hooroo...
AnswerID: 43324

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:40

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:40
Bob Y
Sounds fantastic and I am excited about it and I am in Melbourne!! (raining here too!) I am not very expert on the river systems and haven't even visited the area yet.

If you click on the picture of my car you will see that I have my email address listed there - would love to see some pics.

So where are you?

Andrew
2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 305625

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 15:21

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 15:21
Hi
I am interested in a few photos please!
limo4b@yahoo.com.au
Sounds like there is going to be some water on the Innamincka common. (and that dried up Stresssy creek i camped on last trip)
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 305645

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 15:24

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 15:24
Bob,
that sounds great. At Easter 2000 we couldn't get further north than Coober Pedy due to flooding. So we had to head west along the Anne Beadell Hwy to Vokes Hill Cnr before swinging south to Cook. At least we managed a swim in Lake Eyre at Halligans Bay. By that stage the bird life had come, done its thing, and gone.
So while the rain is great, as you pointed out in another post, it can bugger up your travel plans.Bob
FollowupID: 305646

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:26

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:26
Me to please Bob, rjbeatty@optusnet.com.auRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 305705

Follow Up By: Ruth - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 18:45

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 18:45
Hello Bob, now I know who you are. This is Ruth in Birdsville. We are waiting for all your water to come down here. Birdsville must have been the only town in Queensland which received NOT ONE drop of rain last week, even Bedourie got 0.4 ml. We (the town forum that is) are predicting maybe 7.5m here - get out the windsurfer and sailboat Wolfie, because the lower level of the caravan park will be the playground again. Windorah people are saying Cooper has the strongest flow (not flood) for 20 years. Also remember that in 2000 Lake Eyre started to fill from the massive rains on the western side of the Lake and then from the mighty flow of the Diamantina. Unfortunately, all that water that came down the Barcoo & Thompson and into Cooper made it to 1 klm. east of the Cooper Crossing on the Birdsville Track and not into Lake Eyre at all. I could hardly believe it. Birdsville is already cut off from the north and the east due to flooding in the Burke at Boulia and Cooper at Windorah and Bulloo at Quilpie. Having said that, anywhere the water reaches will become magical - it is the most beautiful sight and I hope you all manage to experience it.
FollowupID: 305938

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 21:14

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 21:14
Hi Ruth and Bob or any other locals.

I was having a look at my maps and trying to imagine what it is like. Bob sent me some amazing pictures. I am going to be stuck here in Melbourne until September unless I can con my wife to have a gander in around Easter - but it is unlikely we will make it. Just for those less committed than I - what do you reckon would be the best time to come and have a look eg around early March when things probably dry out a little? And don't make it sound too good or I will tell how much fun it is at the Aussie open tennis and make you jealous (not that I have been!)

Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 305955

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 22:18

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 22:18
Looks like my secrets out, Ruth, eh? Trust you enjoyed your holiday, we are flying out at 6.30am tomorrow to the Isa, and catching the jet to Brissy.

River was 6.3M at the Lakes yesterday morning, 350mm higher than 2000 flood. Think the Mayne pushed the height up a fair bit. The River was a few inches below the 2000 flood here, and has dropped away to average height by this evening. Think that's about 4M or so at the Lakes.

Andrew, March can be a bit warm, roads are rougher, and some of the floodwaters will make travel difficult, if not impossible. And don't forget the Aeroguard!! However, there'll be heaps of green grass, fat cattle and spectacular scenery.

Will be home by mid Feb, so send us an email for more detils.

Regards,
hooroo...

FollowupID: 305975

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 20:28

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 20:28
S u r p r i s e!!!! I are now comin oud to play cos da rains are pooring down on our fluded lake two, and wind is blowin the spiderwebs away and I hope the spiders got gased. hope ya understan my new lanwich to suit.Looking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
AnswerID: 43366

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 20:55

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 20:55
I was tinking dat da rain has gotcha coz nuffin ad bin errd of ya fa daze. Bob sent me sarm mazing photas an i waz sayin to jen jen jen she couldabin in da dam agin. goodta herya alrite
Amigosandros2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 305658

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 21:51

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 21:51
In the dam this arvo, no barkit though, baby fish escaping, kookaburras and kingfishers having a smorgasbord. Lobsters/ Yabbies escaping also, the next dam will catch them, on the way through, if the birds don't . We have fenced the outlets which have stopped a severe loss. Had a dream last night that might go ahead. Woke up talked about it, now feeling confident in unity.Looking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 305668

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 22:08

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 22:08
Now I dunno if you are trying to make me drool or this is what is really happening with those lobsters and yabbies. You guys must have had heaps of rain up that way.2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 305673

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 22:55

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 22:55
We have only had about 200ml, although the city areas have had a lot less. Some homes in the city have water in them, and this hasn't been anything compared to rain in years in the past, especially when a good cyclone happens to hang around. This is what will shock a lot of people who have come from other states and haven't researched where they have built or bought a house. There are a lot of nice new homes in areas that were under a few feet of water in the last flood in the 70's.Looking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 305682

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 23:01

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 23:01
As for your drooling, hang in there, I will send one down for your birthday. Yes, it is fact, they are venturing off in the run of the overflow,as I said we will catch them in the followup dam if the birds don't get to them first.Looking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 305684

Follow Up By: Ruth - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:33

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:33
Hi Bob and Andrew - how great to hear from you. Don't worry Andrew we'll give you a dribble by dribble report on the floods as they trickle under the old causeway and the fish start coming back in. Maybe this year will be right (like 1997) when the height of the water was right and the weather just right and we had the flood of yabbies.Thargomindah and Cunnamulla are expecting the peaks today in the Bulloo and Paroo.About the Tennis - I have square eyes from watching and Ian has a sore finger from changing the channel so he can get the cricket scores. And if that wasn't enough, we are finally now (once the water goes down and the technician gets in) going to get Austar! Do we really need the Discovery Channel when we can live it in the SD? Hope Bob has a good break - he lives on an island in the middle of the Diamantina (it is now), luckily the airstrip is up high near the house. Keep dreaming - you might have to bring your jetski (the sandflies get that big here they can ride the ski). Will keep you informed.
FollowupID: 306020

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:40

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:40
I love yabbies but I don't think you are doing my cause any good mentioning sandflies!! Last year we were in Cooktown and I got one sandfly bite on the top of my left foot. Gee it was itchy and I complained to my wife about how annoying it was.....though, as per usual, I didn't get much sympathy from Jen. She reckoned that her 500 bites with 1cm diameter reaction was worse than my one bite with 1mm reaction. But these things are worse for men to endure I reckon!!

Tennis was great last night. Watching Phillipoussis and Johansson (Mark and Tom would be easier).......hard to get out of bed this morning as I was so pumped up I couldn't go to sleep. Pity it was only on the telly and I wasnt there.2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 306024

Sponsored Links