Travelling from Townsville to Lawn Hill and on to Karumba

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 20:34
ThreadID: 98102 Views:2679 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi - very disorganised. We are heading to Lawn Hill then on to Karumba with keen fishermen 12 and 14. How long do you reccommend we stay at each place and where do you reccommend we stay etc. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 21:02

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 21:02
Hi Jen,

The National Park campground at Lawn Hill will be much cheaper than at Adels Grove, but you have to book online or over the phone to stay there.

I stayed at Adels Grove because I couldn't get in at Lawn Hil (would have had to wait 2 weeks)l. I enjoyed it. I spent 4 days there, but you could see it all in less. People did fish at Adels Grove, but I don't know if they caught anything. You can't fish at Lawn Hill.

I visited Karumba, but didn't stay. Karumba Point looked better than Karumba itself. They both have caravan parks.

Fuel at the depot in Karumba was about 15 cents cheaper than Normanton. This was about 4 weeks ago.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 495189

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 21:35

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 21:35
Have a look at Kingfisher Camp just north of Lawn Hill. We passed by but couldn't stay. Hopefully others will give you an idea whats there.

Phil
AnswerID: 495194

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 21:39

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 21:39
Hello Jen

For other peoples benefit (I can't help either way) how long is your trip in total? Bit hard to suggest a time frame at specific locations if total is unknown.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 495197

Follow Up By: Jen - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 06:15

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 06:15
Only 3 weeks
FollowupID: 770885

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 07:25

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 07:25
Hi Jen, stayed at Kingfisher Camp in July. DIdn't fish there but caught some nice Red Claw in the lagoon behind the camp.There are boats & canoes for hire.
Lots of Bream being caught off the beach at Karumba. Recomend a beer at the pub to watch the sunset.
Also stayed at Leichardt Lagoon 24 klm SE of Normanton where people were catching lots of big barra in the water reserve 1 klm away on the Norman River but again mainly from boats. You can fish from the shore but be warned there are plenty of crocs!
If you are travelling shortly, it would pay to check that both places are still open as they are seasonal.
Good luck.

Cheers,
Mike
AnswerID: 495214

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:02

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:02
Lawn Hill is worth a four day stay. Great walks that aren't to long (5 kays) sort of length, and you can swim as you probably already know.
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495218

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:18

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:18
The river at Lawn Hill is full of fish but whether they will bite is another thing (I didn't try last year - more interested in the walks). Adele's is very good, if you don't get into the Nat Park campground (they have a shop, cafe etc too). As for Karumba - we stayed in the caravan park in the town proper (not out at the point) - heaps of spaces even in peak season - fees ok, amenities good, close to the shops and the seafood outlet. Fishing at Karumba - didn't try there either - might have been the crocs that put me off - take them seriously !
AnswerID: 495221

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 20:08

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 20:08
Jen, if you have youngsters who are keen fishermen then Karumba should be the main focus of the trip. If they are land based fishermen then Karumba Point would probably be best. There is good access to the river bank at the mouth just near the hotel.
While you are at Lawn Hill don't miss the Riversleigh Fossil site. You can drive there yourself or take a tour from Adels Grove. We did the tour and it was great. We were shown a lot of things that you would not see on a guided drive.
If you are kayak people paddle the gorge but do the walk to the lookout above the falls. The view that you will get is the picture below. It will take your breath away.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495248

Reply By: Jen - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 20:14

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 20:14
Thanks guys have booked Karumba Point and a fishing charter and plenty of room at Adel's Grove. Can't wait!
AnswerID: 495249

Sponsored Links