MELBOURNE - Where to Camp

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 09:29
ThreadID: 98109 Views:1702 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Travelling the east coast in our caravan. In Brisbane we stayed at Caboolture Showgrounds and caught the train into Brisbane. In Sydney we stayed at Wanderest in Richmond (real good camp) and caught train to Sydney.

Staying out of caravan parks, does anyone have any suggestions for Melbourne where we might camp and train it into the city?

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:27

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:27
Mildew,

There was some discussion on this subject earlier this year, maybe since Easter.

People were inquiring about 'van parks as they were going across to Tassie, and needed somewhere to camp close to ferry terminal.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495233

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 19:40

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 19:40
Couple of caravan parks in Carrum Downs, south of town, bus ride to train station. Also Frankston - Big 4 - bus to train station.Showgrounds at Berwick - train in town. There are a couple north of the city as well - Braybrook maybe - Melbourne is a great place to visit- will be down there for a couple of weeks Mid October, before taking ferry to Tassy for five months. A lot to do in the city - Eureka Tower is a must!! Victoria Market - Sunday market at St Kilda Esplanade - a boat ride up the Yarra, and always so much happening in the parks and streets in town -

Makes me a bit homesick - but no, not really - love my life on the road, don't think I could live in a house again!!
FollowupID: 770921

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 07:58

Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 07:58
You will have difficulty finding any free or very cheap camps within reach of Melbourne. We have done verywell in Bendigo for very reasonable priced caravan parks. There is a fast train and a freeway linking Bendigo and other towns on that route to the city of Melbourne. Bendigo is a great town in its own right with lots to see. You could find something that suits along that way. Lynne
AnswerID: 495332

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:50

Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:50
Ashley Gardens @ Braybrook has a bus (route 220) right outside the door that takes you into the city via Victoria Markets and Footscray shops (very multicultural.) It's a bit pricey but very nice and handy to the city.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 495350

Sponsored Links