Van Fridge Door Fastens...

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:58
ThreadID: 98112 Views:2408 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Childbride broke the plastic door closer on the van fridge..you know..that stupid
little plastic thingy that holds the door shut while travelling. A quick search hasnt
come up with much, but I'm sure the local dealer will be able to come up with one.
My question is..has anyone heard of a metal variety or any other alternative that can
be easily fitted in its place ?....cheers......oldbaz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 17:57

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 17:57
Our van builder put the stainless catches (seen below) onto our fridge doors, as a third level closure (1 magnetic strips 2 central black plastic catch by Vitrifrigo...3 the stainless extras)..... suppose they come from Camec or similar.
AnswerID: 495241

Follow Up By: racinrob - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 18:41

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 18:41
For weeks I've been scanning the internet for a catch of some sort to fasten the glass shower door in my motorhome as the magnets won't hold it closed while travelling, maybe this is the solution, thanks.

rr
FollowupID: 770917

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 07:47

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 07:47
Thanks, Darian, I will follow it up....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 770944

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 08:45

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 08:45
Funny that, RR.... bloke with the same offroad van as me says his ply shower door came open once and damaged his vanity cupboard door while banging around on a rough road - glad I heard about it in time - I fixed some shock cord to a hidden part of the nearby floor... put a plastic hook on the other end to grab the shower door flange and keep it shut (the things we have to do that RV builders could very easily do.... its a crime :-o).
FollowupID: 770949

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 20:15

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 20:15
Oldbaz,

Think I know the type of catch that was broken on your fridge. Notice that the lock on an Electrolux I've had dealings with, has been broken too.

Back in another life, the Electrolux fridge we had in the 'van had a stainless catch at the top of the unit, on opposite side to the hinges. This was roughly triangular in shape, with 2 screws holding it onto the unit and at the other corner had a hole drilled, through which you slide a short rod, which then went down into the top of the door. This rod would have been about 50mm long, and on one end, had a light chain that was riveted onto the top of fridge too. Worked pretty well, and the only time we had stuff fall out of the fridge was when we didn't lock the door!!!

The other idea I had was to use one of those short occy straps, that are used for tourneau covers on utes. These could go in a similar spot to the ones Darian has, and perhaps using at least 2 straps, for security. Ovesco has these straps, as well as the Ford Tourneau Buttons to suit. But then Darian's idea would be just as good.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495251

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 07:48

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 07:48
Thanks Bob, that has given me some options....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 770945

Sponsored Links