Tow Vehicle-Tourer

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:57
ThreadID: 98135 Views:2382 Replies:11 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

No doubt this has been done to death but I'm struggling and need help.
I have a Jayco Swan Outback and looking for a Vehicle to tow and tour around in..I live in VIC so i look forward to camping at places like howqua etc. I also plan to head north, fraser island, lawn hill etc etc..
I have two kids 15 and 16 and approx $60,000 to spend/loan.
I've looked at Prados, Pajeros, Patrols, Pathfinders, Amorks, Navaras and more recently Jeeps. They all have their pros and cons but Im still undecided. I think for the type of driving Ill be doing I could pretty much get away with any of them, then again thats where I need some help..I know the reliability of the prado, pajero and patrol but what about the Jeep (top few models) and the amarok? They both look really nice but are these vehicles sufficient enough to to gibb river and all these wonderful places?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:51

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:51
Kanga,

Looks like you have done a fair bit of homework. I think any of those would do the job and also some of the dual cabs but not so comfortable and with a couple of teens that could be a drama (if you know what I mean (;-)) )

Personally I would go with the more common Pajero, Prado, Patrol, I am not sure what the hell an Amork is and I would go with something that you could get help with away from the bigger towns in the hopefully unlikely event of a breakdown.

Just my thoughts

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 495299

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 13:05

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 13:05
Pop, an Amarok is a VW.
Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770973

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 21:30

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 21:30
Oh I see...Ta
FollowupID: 770988

Reply By: peter s62 - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:41

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:41
Kangareigns, please call me, Peter, on 0418.883.159, thank you.
AnswerID: 495301

Reply By: Winner W - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 13:47

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 13:47
Test drive Ford Ranger xlt twin cab before you buy anything.
AnswerID: 495304

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 14:23

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 14:23
Many of us reccomend the type of vehicle we own Kangareins and this is because we know our own requirements well and buy accordingly.

But we do not know what is really important to you and you have to work on this.

Your requirements do fit many cars all of which will go further than that Jayco van.

Why would you not consider a brand new FJ cruiser - its a sort of sexy Prado with lots of features and a low price tag. The teenagers would think you are a withit dad and wouldn't mind the rear seating arrangements.
Reliability warranty and serviceability are ensured.

If you come up with a good reason not to buy it then factor this reason into other possible choices and you will at least narrow the field.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 495305

Reply By: Member - Kris E - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 15:43

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 15:43
Hi Kangareigns,

you say you have $60K to spend. It this total spend?
Dont forget all of the add ons one also needs, like a bullbar, dual battery, Diif Locks?, Compressor, etc etc etc......

I went with a Land Rover Defender 110, and still spent over 10K getting it to where I was happy with it, even though out of the showroom it is one of the most competent vehicles around.

cheers,

Kris
Kris
Never forget: cars have owners, Defenders have field service personnel. The other car is my crumple zone.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495310

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 16:52

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 16:52
It sounds like you want to buy a new vehicle but what about a used 2006 model 100 series factory turbo/auto?

You would have enough change to get a few essential accessories and end up with a great reliable, powerful touring/towing wagon with lots of room for the kids.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 495312

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 18:30

Thursday, Sep 20, 2012 at 18:30
I reckon any of the vehicles you mention would be ok, but the 4 door wagons provide more comfort for those long distances than the 4 door utes would (especially in the case of the rear seat passengers). Upgrading to rubust LT tyres is essential in my view for the type of terrain you hope to visit - after that outlay, upgraded suspension would be number 2 for most outback travellers - the goodies list starting from number 3 has no end of course :-o).... my pick ? TD Prado or TD Pajero.
AnswerID: 495318

Reply By: KevinE - Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 07:03

Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 07:03
Hi Kangareigns,

I'm not sure if you've spent much time in a dual cab Ute, but no way I'd buy one for what you're proposing unless you need to use it for other purposes such as work? The back seat area is just too cramped for comfortable touring.

I do have one, because I need it for work everyday, not because its my 1st choice. Touring with 2 people is fine, but we've done it with 4 & its not much fun!

My experience is that they're all the same, regardless of what someone who is bragging up the make/model they've bought says. The stuff about one model having more leg room etc than another is a furphy! The differences are too small to matter on a long trip.

The Nissan, Toyota & Mitsubishi wagons are all good IMO, its just personal choice as to which one to get :)

Good luck with it! ;)

Kevin.
AnswerID: 495330

Follow Up By: tdv - Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 08:11

Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 08:11
I recently changed from a Prado to a new Ranger ute. Yes it isn't the same level of comfort BUT very close. The leg room in the back is the same. It has more power and a higher tow rating plus fits more in the back. I only miss the wagon for keeping stuff like the fridge or other goodies securely locked away and completely dust free.

I guess it remains to be seen whether the Ranger has the reliability of my Prado?

Cheers, Terry
FollowupID: 770997

Reply By: muzzgit - Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 13:55

Friday, Sep 21, 2012 at 13:55
From personal experience I can say don't get the common rail patrol wagon with the auto. It's a bugger to tow with. The manual would be better.

A friend of mine has the V6 diesel Navara with auto box and it is an absolute ball tearer. He pulls a big toy hauler and he has so much power at hand it is quite amazing.

My personal choice would be a TD 100 series cruiser with the 5 speed auto.

Cheers,

MUZZ
AnswerID: 495357

Reply By: ExplorOz Facebook App - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:02

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:02
Joe Grace posted this reply on the ExplorOz Facebook page:

Cruiser ... end of story, i mean is there really anything else ?????
AnswerID: 495675

Reply By: ExplorOz Facebook App - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:07

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 16:07
Joe Grace posted this reply on the ExplorOz Facebook page:

Cruiser ... end of story, i mean is there really anything else ?????
AnswerID: 512905

Sponsored Links