OziExplorer Software

I am somewhat of a Neanderthal when it comes to these matters & would thus appreciate the Forums help.
If I buy OziExplorer & say the Hema Desert maps can I use this on my Notebook Computer to plan trips etc & then download to my early vehicle mounted VMS navigation system.
If this is not a viable proposition can you help with other options?
Thanks
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Niss42 - Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 13:15

Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 13:15
G'day Ross N.
In a nut shell, yes, provided the Notebook and VMS has a Windows OS.
Or if the N/book and VNS have an Android OS, you can get an Android version of OziExplorer

Cheers
Barry
AnswerID: 495407

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 14:43

Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 14:43
My advice is to buy Memory Map on your PC and then Hema maps.

It is 100 times easier to use than Oziexplorer, especially when on the road. Oziexplorer is a very flexible product but it is quite difficult to learn and is fiddly with the mouse clicks on the road. Memory map on the other hand has large toobars and you can use keys for zooming in and out ( + - for zoom), ("I", "O" for next scale map in or out)

It will run on PC, Android, CE, and IPhone/PAD. In addition to Hema, you can get 25K maps for some states as well as Westprint etc and comes with a very good 250K topo with lots of detail for free.

Take a look, you can download it for a free trial for 10 days ( I think) and you can also try all the maps for 10 days for free.

http://memory-map.com.au/

Usual disclaimers, just a user of a very under rated product.
AnswerID: 495411

Follow Up By: Member - David Will (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 16:22

Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 16:22
Hi Boobook,

I tried the link and it does not work?

David.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 771045

Follow Up By: Cravenhaven - Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 18:55

Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 18:55
Hi David,
It needs the www in front of it. try:
www.memory-map.com.au/
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 771056

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 20:58

Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 20:58
Ross

I can agree with part of what Boobook says. Oziexplorer in full version on the notebook in the car and balancing a mouse somewhere is a real pai. There is also too much information available on the notebook and tablets.

You should stick to the small amount of information in the VMS screen with OziCe. Lets face it why would you want to see 100kms up the road when all you need is the next corner and a few kms beyond that to know which way to go.

I usually plot the whole drive on Oziexplorer and transfer the planned track to Ozice in the VMS and follow that. You can scroll and jump resolutions on the vms at the touch of the screen and you cannot beat the detailed planning that you can do with tracks and audio files and waypoints.

We tried moving map for a few trips but as soon as I sat in on a course on Ozi I was sold.

Sorry BB. Ozi is complex but in that complexity is its great flexibility.

Stay with Oziexplorer to plan and OziCE in the VMS to navigate.

Phil
FollowupID: 771061

Follow Up By: Danna - Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 22:42

Saturday, Sep 22, 2012 at 22:42
I agree with Phil totally.
Couple years ago we met people on Anne Beadle Hwy and they always took their laptop with them on rough... as we go. One day their laptop stop working totally. After they returned home, they send me an email. Their laptop's hard drive has a hole right thru from screw that dig it's self by vibration on corrugation on Anne Beadle Hwy.
Of cause computer and hard drive was dead - kaput - morto.
We both went to buy Panasonic Toughbook.
Now we use VMS & Toughbook which of cause have in build GPS.
Cheers Dana
FollowupID: 771069

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 07:02

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 07:02
I used to carry a backup disk just for these events and it drove me crazy with disk failures on bumpy roads, but since I got a Solid State Drive SSD 2 years ago it hasn't missed a beat. You can get 120G for about $100 now so IMHO no navigation computer should be without it. The other upside is that the computer boots about 4 times faster and file access is very fast.

Also for the people above, the correct website is http://memory-map.com.au/

I checked and there is no www but it appears Exploroz doesn't like that. Just copy and paste.

FollowupID: 771074

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 08:08

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 08:08
Hi Dana and BB

That was a bit unlucky with the screw. I don't know about taking spares for the computer. The spare navigation is a paper copy of the map and a few A4 pages with the Oziexplorer track printed on them. Having been in computers since the 70's I know how they can lock up and break. Those errors from years ago are still there, thats why we have to get so many updates. I wouldn't trust anything based on windows. Same for the VMS. But at least it may be a bit ruggardised with the solid state memory like Boobook mentioned. Luckily the pacemaker (a true personal computer) has all code written and tested in what we shall call "machine code". No windows.

For software backup we carry at least three 8Gb SD cards for the VMS each with a copy of Ozi and all data required for the trip. Heaps easy to set up with just the old Windows Explorer. We try to stay on card #1 so that all tracks are on the same SD card. We have not had to change as yet.

The main reason for sticking to the indash VMS, is the simplicity of the data displayed on the screen. You do not have the full Ozi screen that a bigger display presents. Just the close by few kilometers. Easy to find yourself and easy to follow the track. Put the two beside each other and forgetting the passenger do you own navigation. How long are your eyes off the two screens. That I think is a true test of a program/hardware navigation aid. No using audio aids because we all know dirt back roads change.

With the OziCE screen it is a simple matter but with the larger full screen with Oziexplorer, it takes longer for the eyes to adjust and by that time you have hit the kangaroo in the road. I did not get the chance to est this with Moving Map BB. Over to you on that one. We only recently succumbed and purchased a Notebook. It was purchased for photo and video storage. No navigation or the internet/emails.

BB I have always told people that if you are happy with a tool or a program then thats the way you should go. But just incase they should also try the other one. We had Moving Map with the VMS as delivered. So I think that I can justify our choice of map display aid.

What one hell of a lovely day here. I wouldn't be dead for quids. Time to be a good boy and off to church. Behave yourselves.

Phil
FollowupID: 771076

Follow Up By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 08:38

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 08:38
Thanks one & all.
I normally wouldn't take my notebook/ laptop with me but use it to plan my trip & transfer the plan to my VMS before leaving home. Presumably Oziexplorer is compatable with the CE version
I have lusted after a Toughbook but can't justify the expenditure.
Thanks again for your advice
Ross
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 771078

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 09:47

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 09:47
Hi Ross

Basically;
OziCE will not run on the Notebook or a laptop or the home desktop computer. But all data files are compatable and interchangeable between the programs. Plan it on the computer with Oziexplorer, save them with an appropriate file name for the trip (eg Simpson Desert.plt) and then copy them to the SD card.

Is that understandable. It is quite simple really. The trick is to put an appropriate name on the file so that it is easy to find and copy. I used Cape York.plt for the track file for the family trip to Cape York. All cars got a copy of the file for their VMS units in their cars.

Phil
FollowupID: 771082

Follow Up By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 11:45

Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 11:45
Thanks Phil, very clear & concise.
You have described exactlly what I was hoping to achieve with the system
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 771094

Sponsored Links