Need a new Jockey Wheel - Opinions appreciated

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 23, 2012 at 23:27
ThreadID: 98203 Views:4354 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

We are looking to replace the jockey wheel on our Adventure Camper with a more heavy duty Jockey wheel. We have come accross the Trail-A-Mate Sidewinder jack/jockey wheel 500kg Trail A Mate Jockey wheel . Just wondering if anyone has one or knows of another one they can recommend? Do you love it or hate it? Have you found better? We are unable to find one locally so cannot touch and feel it ourselves and will have to order it online sight unseen.

The original one has bent and we need a stronger shaft but we would like to keep the large wheel on the original one. The wheel that comes on the Trail-A-Mate Sidewinder jack/jockey wheel 500kg looks to be a little smaller so we were thinking of using the wheel off the old jockey wheel on this one.

Look forwards to your input.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KevinE - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 08:01

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 08:01
Hi Rusty,

I've never used a Trail-A-Mate Sidewinder, so I can't comment on it. But, We bought a 10" pneumatic swing away jockey wheel from Sprint Auto in March this year. It seemed OK & the price was good, so we bought it. The tyre has perished inside 4 months just sitting under cover on our patio. It only did 2 short trips away & its completely useless, as its split all over. Sprint do not supply spare tyres, only tubes or wheel assemblies, so I had to buy a wheel assembly, which cost $23. Not happy! Forewarned is forearmed ;)

Cheers,

Kevin.
AnswerID: 495517

Reply By: BJ & Reen- Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 08:24

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 08:24
Gday Rusty
we have a Trail-A Mate best thing since sliced bread we dont use the wheel just the flat peice, a bit expensive but sooo much easier
BJ
AnswerID: 495519

Follow Up By: Member - poppasmurf - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:01

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:01
Hi Rusty

We have a Trailer Mate and as said it is sooo much easier than a wind up jockey wheel and once the lifting u shape angle is welded on, it is a great jack. No more crawling under the van to put jacks in place to change or remove tyres. We plan to leave ours in place but I will put on some stainless steel cable and lock to keep those little light fingered people out there.
That's my opinion anyway.

Regards

David
FollowupID: 771141

Reply By: Member - Wozikev - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 16:45

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 16:45
Hi Rusty,
I have a 'trail a mate' but use it only for it's jacking capabilities. For the jockey wheel I have found the 'Alko' with the 6" wheel very successful. However, they have a plastic ball race so I purchased a good quality steel thrust bearing from a nearby bearing service ($11.00) and popped it in and it's brilliant.
AnswerID: 495552

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 18:02

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 18:02
Hi Rusty,

Here are a few more comments

Trail A Mate Jack

The mate has one of the hydraulic versions and I think it is hardly better than the wind up jockey wheel I have standard on the Jayco given the ritual he goes through to set it up. The sidewinder is virtually the same except that it winds up. Reinvention of the wheel I think.

Where it does shine is as a jack for lifting the van or whatever. Reminds me of the old hydraulic bumper jacks we used to get with the early fords etc.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 495555

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 08:26

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 08:26
I leave my Trail a Mate attached while travelling

The attachment is plastic over wire with loops at end and enables easy lifting when moving.

A boat mooring fitting (below) is looped through itself around the plastic /wire and then wound around the trail a mate at top with the loop part of mooring fitting going neatly over top of trail a mate to secure it whilst travelling

Very easy to set up for arrivals and departures.

The added bonus is that levelling of van is very easy.

Pedro

FollowupID: 771209

Sponsored Links