Recommend caravan/trailer bloke at Young after near disaster

Submitted: Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 09:32
ThreadID: 98208 Views:2656 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I strongly recommend the men at ROADHOUSE CAMPERS & TRAILERS 4619 Olympic H'way South Young. 02 63824385. because they gave service way beyond what I expected and at well below the dollars I was expecting too.

Heading towards Yass from Young A few trucks flashed their lights as they passed and we assumed they were warning of "flash for cash" ahead or, as "I hoped it's not scalees - that's all we needed". Eventually someone passed us pointing out their window at the van. There was smoke pouring out the back of the van!!!

Two cars pulled over to assist, and one fellow who told us he was police, was extremely helpful. He happened to know about vans and after examining the wheel, told us the bolt had sheared off the axle from the rear spring & had moved back and the tyre was rubbing against the wheel hub. It was just about shredded. He drove me back about a kilometre to a service station next door to which was conveniently a caravan and trailer builder and repairer. The policeman then drove me and a mechanic back to the van. I have now changed the name I call rhe unmarked highway patrol people.

The mechanic eventually removed the wheel, bashed the axle forward a bit, put on the spare, and we limped back to the caravan place. We left the van there and spent the rest of the day looking around Young. The four axle bolts had been replaced. The braking system was not working well, and actually one wheel had no brakes at all, so that was replaced too. One new tyre supplied & fitted. We were told we had been extremely lucky as it could have been much worse and the van could have rolled or been destroyed by the wheel taking out the whole back of the van.
All this for only $485.00

What a day!!! An extra expense we didn't need but we thank our lucky stars it wasn't worse. The joys of travelling.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 19:32

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 19:32
Hi Peter, How old is the van? I had a similar problem with my off road trailer and luckily i was on a dirt track doing about 30 kph and nearly flipped my trailer, it went vertical and luckily came back to its wheels. Axle bent, all u bolts broken. lucky i was not doing 100kph on the open road when it happpened. read my blog! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 495566

Follow Up By: Peter M (QL - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:44

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:44
G'day Michael
The van is 5 years old.
I should point out that the U bolts at all 4 wheels were doing their job. Iy is just the bolt through the axe and through the springs that went.
The van has had its wheel bearing checked each year and has not travelled off road at all.
The van has travelled about 15000 kms on what we jokingly call good sealed roads &/or highways in Queensland & NSW
Regards
PeterM
FollowupID: 771204

Sponsored Links