New Zealand GPS

Submitted: Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 19:01
ThreadID: 98220 Views:1729 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We're thinking of taking a self drive holiday to New Zealand next year and just wondering if it's possible to download NZ maps to our Tomtom. Ubfortunately I can't find the model number.

Also if we download the NZ maps are we likely to lose the existing Australian maps.

Any help anyone.

Thanks

John & Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TrevorMR (WA) - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 21:14

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 21:14
I am also planning a self drive holiday in NZ next year. I have looked up the Tomtom website and the NZ map was relatively expensive considering the number of roads they have so went and bought a paper map from the RAC.

In answer to your question, it depends on how much memory (storage) you have in your Tomtom. I have an XXL540 with the Australian & Western Europe maps on it and I think the memory is now pretty well full. When I downloaded the West Europe map a couple of years back, I didn't have enough memory to download all countries so had to choose the ones I was going to use on that trip and likely to use in the future. You are unlikely to lose the Aust. maps as the NZ map memory requirements would be relatively small.

Get onto their website with the model no. and it will tell you.
AnswerID: 495575

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 21:48

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 21:48
For the price these things cost nowadays it might be more effective to buy another with the NZ maps in it either here and take it with you or just but it in NZ.

You could go fushing on the NZ sites to see the prices and ask a Bro via the internet what the cost is and what features they have. Really handy if you are in cities as the map obscures the view through the windscreen at the worst possible times.
New ones are probably cheaper than a map upgrade anyway. You only need the map feature not the picture viewer/mp3 player/video player/ebook etc etc.

Ross M
AnswerID: 495578

Reply By: River Swaggie - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 22:37

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 22:37
I took my Garmin over in Dec,we traveled all over the North Island from the North (Cape Reinga) down to Wellington...It was spot on,Shame its not like it in Melbourne...

Anyway see if you can borrow one or buy a cheapy or second hand one with N.Z maps...

All the best with your trip..
AnswerID: 495582

Reply By: Member - Peter E1 (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 06:42

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 06:42
A paper map is all you need really. There is not enough roads to need a GPS, especially on the south island. You can drive for hours and not see another car!!
Most Garmins have the NZ maps already loaded.
If you get lost there is always a Kiwi that will go out of their way to help and have a chat for an hour or two. We love the place!
AnswerID: 495587

Follow Up By: Member - Peter E1 (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 06:45

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 06:45
Oh, I forgot. They fill your petrol up for you as well and the price is the same pretty much everywhere, and the price stays the same for weeks and not change every hour or so like in Oz. How civilized.
FollowupID: 771201

Reply By: P & G - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:54

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:54
Amazing really some of the replies. I am a kiwi who has lived in Australia for a number of years. What's this garbage that considering the number of roads that they have.

I travel in and out of NZ on a regular basis and have a Garman - it has both NZ and OZ maps on it.Well worth the small investment of I think around $200. Australia and NZ is on the same device and as for paper maps - well if you want to keep stopping to argue who is right and which road would be the right one to take or worse still, endanger others on the road by trying to read it as you drive then go for it spoil your trip.

Written by a BRO
AnswerID: 495591

Follow Up By: Member - Peter E1 (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:20

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:20
Sorry if I offended you but as I said we love the place. I was kidding about the roads. There are quite a few, especially on the North island.
We have family over there and visit when we can. We haven't needed the Garmin yet but we carry it just in case.
The free paper maps you get with the hire car is all we need and we don't argue at all.
Cheers BRO.
FollowupID: 771227

Reply By: westskip - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 09:19

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 09:19
Thanks for all your responses. I think we'll just buy a cheap GPS when we get there.

Thanks again

John & Helen

AnswerID: 495595

Follow Up By: mynance - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 21:53

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 21:53
We were there in February and hired one with the motor home for $8 I think for a week.
I think this was much cheaper than buying or downloading maps.

Myles
FollowupID: 771280

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 13:53

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 13:53
is it not an option at the vehicle hire place?
AnswerID: 495679

Reply By: dublediff - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 19:43

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 19:43
Hey yobs and bros!!!! I am across the ditch now, what a fantasmagora of photo opportunities....a bloody photo stop around every turn....at this rate I will be here forever!!!!

The rentacar mob have given me a tomtom - that is essential. Unfortunately I have chosen "Aussie Kevin" as the voice and he keeps telling me to "turn right in 50 metres"...he is just dragging around because I would get terribly wet after driving off a 50 metre cliff into some deep and very blue water feature....hang on...there is another photo opportunity....I'll have to have the shutter speed on really quick though and hope the camera survives the impact!

An up to date digi navigator is really the best way...have a paper map, they have hema here as we'll and will probably put one in the car for you, is a good back up.
AnswerID: 495846

Sponsored Links