Jeep Cherokee?

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 17:13
ThreadID: 98245 Views:2573 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I'm looking at a new towing/touring vehicle and was mighty impressed with the Grand Cherokee compared to the standard prado and Pajeros etc.
i just wanted to know how reliable these vehicles are off road. I'm not a serious 4wd type anyway but would like to do a lap of oz towing a jayco swan outback.
Also, there is a lot of talk about lift kits etc, is the overlander's airbag suspension lift kit the same thing?
The Laredo to me seems the best bang for buck and seems like a towing machine 3500kg but the unknown still lingers...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Skulldug - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 19:42

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 19:42
Kangareigns,

I have owned all three vehicles you have mentioned from new. For me, the Grand Jeep is the best tow vehicle and off road won't disappoint. Parts are expensive in Aus but you can get them off the net at very reasonable prices. Next best is the Pajero. The Prado is a very capable vehicle off road and supposedly reliable but Toyota are the worst company I have ever dealt with. If your problem fits their mould, they are OK but if you have a real problem such as your car doesn't work, they will blame ARB, TJM, you- anyone but them.

Just my experience.

Skull
AnswerID: 495646

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 21:46

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 21:46
The new diesel Grand Cherokee is fantastic to drive and very thrifty. Parts out in the sticks are fairly scarce and the tyre size may be too. I have an older Grand and Jeep know how to charge for spares that's for sure. I'm not sure what the Jap parts cost anymore as I haven't had a Jap car for 10 years. The other thing about the Jeep is that the mechanics in the bush don't see many so they may be a bit of a mystery to them. I find most brands are OK if you treat them well and are aware of the various weaknesses, they all have them.
As for the air suspension, it is great while it is new but can become a pain as it ages because it's just another electronically controlled gizmo that can fail. The Jeep version hasn't been out long enough to know yet. The Quadra Lift in the Grands started in 2011 I think.
AnswerID: 495654

Reply By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:59

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:59
hi kangareigns
i have been told by a couple of new jeep owners that i spoke to who where passing through bunbury that the new jeep grand cherokee pull there large vans really well and are a very comfortable vehicle to travell in neither had been on a beach drive
so were unaware of the imfo and a problem that 4wd aust magazine related to in the letters to the editor section october edition about the latest jeep when driving on sand
read thread 98034 for detail and comments cheers
AnswerID: 495678

Reply By: Hellman and co. - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 09:59

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 09:59
We have had a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a few years now and it has been a good vehicle. Only problem was a sensor in the transmission failed a while ago, sourced one from US off the net for AUD$55, here in 4 days. Try that with a Toyota.
They are certainly not the 'unreliable exotic' cars the reputation has them, i thoroughly recomend one. They are EVERYWHERE in the US.
AnswerID: 495730

Follow Up By: Kangareigns - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:55

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:55
Hi Hellman, how did you know it was a sensor? Do you have one of those fault finding machine thing that has been mentioned.
FollowupID: 771323

Reply By: QLD Blake - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 19:19

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 19:19
Have a look at the Caravaner forum. Loads of info from actual owners. follow link
http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17882

Regards
AnswerID: 495749

Sponsored Links