4wd weekend trip, Bluemoutains? stockton? watagans?

Hey guys! :)
Ive been buying the 4wd action magazines for as long as i can remember and now that im 18 ive recently bought a 2002 3.0L diesel hilux. Its compleatly stock except for a uhf radio. Ive done a few day trips around the watagans but would feel more confident in tackling the tracks with other vehicles. Just wondering if anyone is planning a trip in the near future that i could tag along and have some fun. ANy advice with the vehicle or places to go would be greatly appreciated. Love camping, 4wding and fishing :) cheers Sam.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stretchlizard2 - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 20:36

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 20:36
Sam
Current news from the Stockton Beach website:

On Saturday 30 June 2012 the Worimi Conservation Lands was partially re-opened, with the beach front and the RVA open for driving. This means:

you can drive only on the beach front and in the RVA;
the RVA is open;
all dunes between the Lavis Lane and Anna Bay accesses are closed to driving;
the park is currently closed for all camping;
access via the Lavis Lane or Anna Bay entrances only.

It is now only of use to fishermen when the tide is right.

Cheers Stretchlizard
AnswerID: 495650

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 07:46

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 07:46
You may want to get back to the Watagans pretty quickly as well. A NPWS source told me that once the current logging lease expires at the end of the year, it will be gated and no vehicle access. The reason is due to a bunch of 4WD-ers (names known) who get up there and destroy a lot of the tracks. Pretty sad, really, as I live nearby and like taking visitors up there to the lookouts and surrounding attractions.

Jack

The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495667

Follow Up By: slozza - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 14:09

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 14:09
Hi Jack,
ah no, thats a real shame considering its so close to where i live. I guess ill have to get out and explore as much of it as i can while its still open.
FollowupID: 771297

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 19:22

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 19:22
G'day Sam,

I'm from the Central Coast and I hope they don't lock up the Watagans.
I don't get why they lock up areas just because tracks get cut up.

For a few years we've been heading up near Lithgow with some mates to muck around in from the Zig Zag railway. Every year the tracks are different. Some tracks get to hard to drive so people go around them bits and the original track is left to heal. Eventually the weather and fourbys cut up the new track and so it goes on. You have to look hard to see the original tracks and the area isn't spoilt at all.

Some people worry about stuff too much. Mother Nature is a powerful thing and she has it all over us little beasts.

We're heading back up to Zig Zag the weekend after next. If you're keen to tag along let me know and we'll work out how to get in touch.

Steve
AnswerID: 495701

Follow Up By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 18:36

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 18:36
Hi Steve,

I agree but the simple NPWS and greenies dont want you to use anything or enjoy yourself in anyway. Dont worry a change of government will fix it.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 771346

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 06:18

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 06:18
Which change of government will fix it? There are only about 6 parks Australia wide run by the Commonwealth, all the rest are run by state governments.
I went through the Watagans a few months back and couldn't believe how bad some of the yobbos at the campsites were. It was a talking point with our group at a meal break and has rarely come up on other trips. We had to reverse out of 3 tracks that were impassable unless you had 35's with a 6" lift. The firies don't have that so makes it hard to get to fires.
FollowupID: 771372

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 18:15

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 18:15
I like to take my dog for a drive when I go away so usually NPs are out of bounds for me.

I know there are a lot of yobbos that don't give a stuff but that's just how it is.

National Parks don't have to fix any tracks except main access roads generally but if a track gets used too much they gate it.

If I get to an impassable track I either turn around or have a go, depending on what I'm up to at the time.

I find it frustrating that there are so many people whinging about tracks that are cut up from people having a good time. To each his own I reckon. Australia is a huge place. If you can't get down a track go somewhere else and have a drive.

As I said before, Mother Nature will take care of the place like she's been doing for billions of years. Do gooders locking up tracks and whinging about "damage" to the environment should get out more, literally.

We just got back from a 13,000 km trip across the country.
When you look at those old hils and rivers through the centre and over west, it makes you realise how totally insignificant us humans are. We've been here for a blip and we reckon we have control of everything.

A cut up track today will be history in 100 years and forgotten in a thousand.

Go out and have fun.

Hoo roo,
Steve
FollowupID: 771433

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 18:58

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 18:58
Mate they are called fire trails for a reason. They are cut through to give the firies access and an escape route. Like I said, they don't have 35's and a 6" lift. They didn't cut the trails for our entertainment. Some of them are gated because idiots go in there and start fires by doing things like ashing their smokes out the window. If everyone did the right thing then there wouldn't be a problem. Blaming the government or greenies for reacting correctly to the actions of an ever increasing number of idiots is not correct in my opinion.
FollowupID: 771441

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 23:03

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 23:03
No worries, but they're not all fire trails.

A lot of them tracks in the Watagans are logging tracks. They don't log them areas anymore because felling native timbers is frowned upon, so we use pine from Australia and NZ.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. We don't all have to agree. You have your view, I'll have mine. Just define what "the right thing"is....

Sure starting bushfires isnt very nice but I really don't believe many people start bushfires, no matter what kind of vehicle they drive.

I will complain about Governments controlled by greenies for overreacting to get votes but.

One mans idiot is another man's mate.

Hoo roo
FollowupID: 771459

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 08:12

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 08:12
Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 771469

Follow Up By: slozza - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 15:07

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 15:07
Hey Steve

Sounds like a lot of fun ill just have to make sure im not working that weekend. I was actually up that way not to long ago with family in the newnes area. How many guys do you usually go with? Do you guys have extremely modified 4wd's or pretty stock?

Cheers Sam.
FollowupID: 771503

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 18:44

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 18:44
Hi Sam,

this year we only have about dozen I think - a mix of fathers and sons.
My son is taking his KTM to ride and another fella and his two sons are taking their motos.

The fourbys vary. Mine is a pretty stock 80 series through to one bloke that has a Jackaroo with Nissan running gear, 6 inch lift and 33s (maybe 35s) with lockers.

There are heaps of tracks up there that vary from wild to mild and if you don't want to do the tracks, there are ways around. It's a greta place to learn what to do and what your vehicle can do. Great scenery too.

I'm heading to the 4WD Show at Eastern Creek next Friday morning then coming back to the Coast to head up to camp Friday night.

Let me know if you can make it.

Steve

FollowupID: 771562

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 23:55

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 23:55
Friday week? 12th-14th.
FollowupID: 771590

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 20:28

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 20:28
OK, so I'm not going to the 4x4 Show this weekend.

Thanks for picking that up. I kept meaning to check my dates but didn't.

That makes Friday easier, I do some work then go bush.

Thanks again,

Steve
FollowupID: 771626

Follow Up By: slozza - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 00:44

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 00:44
very dissapointed, Ended up having to work this weekend and the next. Hope it was a fun weekend.

Cheers sam
FollowupID: 771916

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 08:37

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 08:37
We ended up at Mt Airlie, near Capertree.

Awesome place to go, great scenery, great 4wding and the old bloke there, Col, is a real character.

My alternator packed it in so that slowed me down a bit on Sunday but it's a really good part of the world.

Steve
FollowupID: 771964

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 18:38

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 18:38
Mate, did he mention that it had only just been reopened after some people went through and did the wrong thing in muddy conditions and wrecked the track a while back? He couldn't get his car through anymore until it was repaired. There was talk of it being closed permanently as a result.
FollowupID: 771998

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 22:32

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 22:32
He said National Parks were talking about taking control of the area but it's declared a conservation area now. He has the lease now and it was paid for by the coal mine up the road.

The Lithgow 4wd Club have done a lot of work up there diverting water to reduce the damage to tracks from running water.
He has a lot of machines there, some pretty old, that are used for some of that work. Col appreciates the help he gets from a lot of 4wd Clubs and said that's how the place stays open.

The road up from the house is in excellent condition. Col reckons you could drive a motorised wheelchair up there at the moment and he's pretty right too. It's like that for about 5 km then it starts to get "interesting".
I drove mine about half way up the mountain from there, up through a sort of cave. After that it was only the three vehicles with locked diffs that got any further and they made it right to the top.

It's a really scenic and interesting area. I'll be back up there for a weekend as soon as I can work it in.

Hoo roo,
Steve

FollowupID: 772026

Sponsored Links