Glue for semi flex solar panels

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 16:36
ThreadID: 98273 Views:3338 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi explorers. Can I get some recommendations on a suitable adhesive to stick
aluminium backed semi flexible solar panels onto the powder coated
aluminium roof of my van.Tips re surface preparation would also be appreciated.
Regards, Harry.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cravenhaven - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 16:55

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 16:55
Have a look at Sikaflex 252, I have just finished putting an aluminium traytop onto my steel tray chassis and I am very impressed.
There is some info on the sikaflex site for preparation etc.
BTW what happens if you ever want to remove the panel, you will destroy it in the process of "unsticking" it.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495744

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 22:14

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 22:14
hi all
to remove any object or items stuck down with silastic or sikaflex
just fully extend a razor knife blade and slide it through between item/object and the surface its mounted to
i have successfully done this
roof and gutter silastic is also suitable for solar panel mounting
its as tough as
just clean the surface prior to adhesion with rag and generous amount of metho and allow to dry off before aplying silastic
cheers
FollowupID: 771363

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 17:27

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 17:27
Sikaflex 252 is top of the line structurally, but probably stronger than required.
I would use Sikaflex 11FC which needs less surface prep and is more flexable.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
AnswerID: 495747

Follow Up By: kev.h - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 18:42

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 18:42
I'll second that the aluminum cladding on my camper is stuck to the steel frame with Sikaflex 11FC still holding after 12 years
Kev
FollowupID: 771348

Reply By: graham B9 - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 05:19

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 05:19
You have a topaz and I assume that you are going to stick it to that. Then tow it off road?

Sikafex 11FC is great. Comes in black, white and concrete grey BUT dirt sticks to it like
S------ to a blanket and you will never get the dirt off. ( speaking from expereince here). You might get lots of advice on removing dirt but this does NOT work on sikafex.

I would use non acid cure silicone (ie Selleys seal and paint for example) as the acid will destroy the back of mirrors and might effect the solar panel.

It will be much easier to remove than Sikafex as well

It will also be much cheaper as sikafex 11FC is about $16.90 a tube and silicone is about $5.95 for the same amount.

Wash the surface with soad and water then allow to dry. Seal all around the edges and flush as that dirt will get under the panel and once it rains it will slowly leak out as you drive. This producing a dirty mud trail down the topax.
AnswerID: 495776

Sponsored Links