Pajero towing

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 19:22
ThreadID: 98275 Views:4241 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gday, our family will depart on their first camper trailer trip this Sunday, up to Hervey Bay, Bundy, and then inland through and down to Miles. Just a small break from work and test the waters with the kids travelling with Mum and Dad. Hope it will lead to more frequent trips, and longer ones as well.
I have a question of other Pajero owners or those in the know, I will be towing our new Austrack Extreme outback trailer(750-800kgs) with my 2005 NP GXL 5 speed diesel. What is their opinion of some stories or advice of not towing in 5th gear? I'm not going to drag the trailer up steep hills but hey, the pajero goes like a rocket, it has the power to tow, just dont want to blow out 5th gear.
Unfortunatly my Dad was killed in February driving his coach to Grafton and he wont be joining us on our maiden trip, as he had always planned on doing with us.

Happy and safe travels to all Aussie Travellers this long weekend.

Harmy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 19:30

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 19:30
Hi Harmy,
Sorry about the loss of your dad.
I have a diesel NS Pajero, and I use the tiptronic to keep it in no higher than 4th gear, but. I tow a much heavier camper than you ( about 2 ton) and at times a double horse float with two very big horses.
Enjoy your trip.
Leanne
AnswerID: 495750

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 19:34

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 19:34
Wow Harmy. That is a really sad story. Just know that he is looking down and travelling with you. His hand guiding your family all the way and making sure you get the best experience from it. Have a great trip. Bob
AnswerID: 495753

Reply By: madfisher - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 19:36

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 19:36
Harmy its because they have so much grunt you have to treat 5th gear with respect. treat it as and overrdrive and treat 4th as top gear if you want your box to last. 5th is a small cog with a small bearing and not suitable for heavy loading, whereas 4th is direct drive.
I still slip into 5th on long gentle downhill decents but as soon as you need to put the foot down a bit its time to look for 4th. quite often you will get better economy in 4th anyway.
Have a great time Pete
AnswerID: 495754

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 19:57

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 19:57
Exactly as Madfish above describes. It's a tiny little cog and shouldn't be expected to lug large loads.

Not just a Pajero thing either, most vehicles don't like it. My previous Prado used considerably less fuel in 4th towing as did my Holden V8.

Have a great trip. Your dad will be there in spirit every inch of the way.
FollowupID: 771353

Reply By: Phil 23 - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 21:49

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 21:49
Hey Harmy,

So it's a manual not an auto?

I know as far as the auto is concerned it shouldn't be an issue, as it's not a conventional transmission, more a variable drive.

My oldies have towed a 24 footer many 1,000's of k's with theirs & no issues. It's an Auto.

In years gone by I've had many good yarns with your father & his dad when I lived next door.

He was a genuinely nice & honest man.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 495768

Follow Up By: patsproule - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 06:06

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 06:06
It's not at all an issue in the manual either. The transmission in these is also used in the smaller Canter trucks - a V5M31. It's huge, it's tough and solid and not at all known for killing 5th gear unlike some Patrols (early GU TD6) and Landcruisers (1HZ's with added turbos).

I tow more than double your weight with mine and use 5th whenever on the level. A quick drop back to 4th for any inclines / hill climbing and all will be well. Yes, you dont want to load it up in an overdrive gear, but in these it's more a fuel economy issue than damage prevention.

Pat
FollowupID: 771371

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 20:40

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 20:40
Harmy

I have a 07 NS Diesel and we tow a heavy Kimberly Kamper. Stick it in Drive and forget it.
With my NP Petrol auto, I used "the auto gears" especially on undulating country as it was forever flipping between 5th & 4th. But with the diesel, not an issue.
Ours now has 220 000km on it, absolutely never an issue with the auto box or anything else.
When on flatter country such as west of Toowoomba, engage cruise control without a 2nd thought.

Mark
AnswerID: 495850

Sponsored Links