Printer Scanner

Submitted: Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 07:07
ThreadID: 98285 Views:2346 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning everybody i need feedback regarding people who are doing the big lap who are running combo printer and scanners,we start our big trip on the 6th of October and may need to buy one.
Cheers
Baker
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 07:15

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 07:15
Baker
Any of the big name printers, have a multi function Printers for $100 or less.
That is all I ever get.
If they stuff up, just get another.
My advice is to just get one
What you might have to consider is the size of the thing.
Go into Dick Smiths, Officeworks or Harvey Norman and just start looking.
Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 495779

Reply By: justmyage - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 08:26

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 08:26
We bought a $50 0ne from Dick Smith when colour cartridges run out or it brakes buy a new one .Cheaper to buy a new one than buy 1 colour cartridge at $80 per colour. We just store under bed in original box and packing.
AnswerID: 495787

Follow Up By: rainbowprof - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:41

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:41
Justmyage's solution is still a workable option, for sure. But depending on your printer- scanner brand, model and type, it is sometimes possible to refill them yourself. I buy either powder (laser jet printer) or ink (dot matrix) for between $3 and $10 and refill the cartridges/ containers myself. Or you can order non -original replacement cartridges for $10 to $15 online postage included. It's not necessarily cheaper to throw out a relatively new printer and replace it. Depends on your needs, geographical location, internet access, financial situation and mindset. Google and ebay are your friends. Also, without ink the scanner probably still works so you may be able to scan docs to yourself and print at a public library as well, for example. Good luck.
FollowupID: 771393

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 04:01

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 04:01
rainbowprof
A very valid point !
No use buying a printer when the cartridges work out dearer than the whole printer.
I should have added I check out the availibility of cartridges, and the price of non genuine ones. $3 per refil is my price.
Works out cheaper still, if you refill them yourself
Refil kits are $20 or there abouts, and you can get up to 10 refills for that.
FollowupID: 771467

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 13:28

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 13:28
Hi Baker,

Its not a combi printer/ scanner, just a printer but looks light, compact and can be battery operated when needed so I am looking at getting one to leave in our van when we are travelling.

http://www.estore.com.au/Canon_PIXMA_iP100_Portable_Colour_Inkjet_Printer_CAN0732.aspx

not sure whether any brands make something similar which also contains a scanner.

Good luck.
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 495810

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 23:28

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 23:28
That looks like a good compromise. Multifunction printers are fairly bulky too.
You can get small battery powered portable scanners that you just run over the page. Then download to your computer via USB when convenient. Here's just one example.
FollowupID: 771589

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 13:48

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 13:48
Baker, you might give consideration to a wireless printer. Just one less lead to have draped around your van or camp. I use a Canon Pixma MG6150 and buy my cartridges from Ink Station at a fraction of the Canon cartridge price. If you want a scanner the printer will be a bit larger so you have a decent sized scanning surface.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495815

Reply By: Member - Gethro - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 12:15

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 12:15
Hi Humpback,

We are doing the big lap and I purchased a brand new Brother laser printer from Office works for less than $38.
It does not have a scanner however I have found that if I need to put something onto the laptop I just take a photo with my digital camera and then I can transfer the image to the computer, it works for me.
As some others have mentioned the price of the toner cartridges are dearer than the printer so when it runs out by a new printer.
If you want to print colour that's a whole nother issue.
Regards,
Gethro.
AnswerID: 495935

Sponsored Links