Re: melted Ford Explorer on CSR

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 23:23
ThreadID: 9829 Views:1533 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Having read the articles on this site and seen the photos in the current 4x4 Monthly magazine I am wondering where are the front guards and the bonnet?
Surely they are not fibreglass or aluminium because they are not in the pics.
The 4X4 Monthly writer says that he came upon the "smoldering" shell shortly after it happened and says that they also passed the unfortunate occupants not long before. (At least that's the impression the article gives)
Whatever the case, the amount of melted aluminium on the ground gives an indication of how fierce the inferno was.
It's not something that any of would wish on a fellow explorer.
Oskar
The real oskar
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cokeaddict - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:00

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:00
Hi oskar
I have to agree with you there mate Definately NOT something ANY of us would ever want to expierence. Problem is (as I see it) With all this new technoligy today, there is soo much stuff under bonnets these days (electronics) that i personally would NEVER contemplate taking 1 out the middle of nowhere. They are just not reliable enough. And river crossing ...not a chance. I have found that with rising temperatures and the likes, these rubber seals that are used for wiring harnesses are great when they are NEW, but once the heat starts to affect them, your gonna get yourself in trouble. How many people owning these cars actually do a check on the rubber covers that are supposed to seal the wires from water and dust entering?

Thats why im from the old school, nice and simple for me. Im happy with my GQ Diesel, if she breaks down, chances are its repairable there and then, if not, well im pretty sure it wont burn.

Just an opinion guys...dont fry me !I love it when you talk DIRTY !
AnswerID: 43419

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:18

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:18
Could you supply the web address with the pictures please. thanksFraser .... Here we come
AnswerID: 43482

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:53

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:53
Sorry mate
The pics are in the current isssue of Australian 4WD Monthly.
The only other pic I've seen is on this website by David and Michelle in their CSR report.
I can't remember which post but just enter Ford Explorer as a search term and it's in their CSR trip report.
Cheers
OskarThe real oskar
FollowupID: 305863

Reply By: Barry F - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 15:35

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 15:35
It could happen to anyone or any vehicle, not only the Explorer, which I happen to own thank you very much, give me a dollar for every 4x4 I've seen abandoned in my travels and I would have been able to buy a Landcruiser, thankfully no one was hurt!!!!
AnswerID: 43684

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 19:58

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 19:58
Barry
I hope you didn't read any criticism of the vehicle in my original post because there was none.
The question was about the mudguards and bonnet not being there and the other comment was about the intensity of the fire causing so much aluminium melt-down, not about the quality of the vehicle.
You don't say if you actually saw the photos in the magazine that I mentioned. The article was about 4WD insurance not about Ford Explorers.The real oskar
FollowupID: 305946

Sponsored Links