A chance to get some Simpson Desert history

Submitted: Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 14:47
ThreadID: 98294 Views:3042 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
On Sunday next 30th September at 1.00 pm Channel 10 will show a 1 hour documentary on the crossing of the Simpson Desert 50 years ago by Dr. Reg Sprigg with his wife and 2 children and some support vehicles. I guess it will be a bit of a promotion for Nissan, but it was a Nissan that lead the expedition after all. I am an unashamed fan of Reg Sprigg. I think he was a very significant Australian who has never received the recognition that he deserves. Should be an interesting program.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 17:01

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 17:01
Yes, Kevin, I agree. And his wife was a very significant woman indeed.
Min
AnswerID: 495837

Follow Up By: Member - wadams - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 22:05

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 22:05
Hi Min,
I'm in the process of reading Griselda Sprigg's book "Dune is a four letter word".
In the chapter "Bound for Birdsville" you will read that Jack and Griselda actually arrived in Birdsville in Jacks Toyota and therefore crossed the Simpson before Reg in his Nissan. I would assume that because Reg was the leader of this expedition driving a Nissan that is why he got the credit. I must admit that Reg deservedly got the credit. He was a truly amazing guy and the book is a great read. Inspirational people.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 771584

Reply By: Danna - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 20:20

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 20:20
Yes, it was a Nissan who lead expedition, but it could have been any other vehicle! Thing was, Reg had his own Nissan.
When Dr. Reg Sprigg approached Nissan Company they declined to sponsor him or help him any other way. That’s why for so many years no one mentioned make of the vehicle. Dr. Reg Sprigg didn’t want to give the mangles from Nissan free advertising and lead them to glory!
I’m just wondering how much credit the baaas…. will be claiming now.
Cheers Dana
AnswerID: 495848

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 08:27

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 08:27
Its interesting to see who gets the credit for the behind the scenes work in making the re-enactment actually happen !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 771522

Follow Up By: Life Member Tour Boy( Bundy) - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:54

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:54
I'm sure I've seen a pic of the support vehicles in the background and they were....wait for it...Toyota's
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 771528

Follow Up By: KevinE - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 18:27

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 18:27
Hi Danna, are you referring to the re-enactment or the original trip?

I've just always assumed that Reg did the original trip on his own with his family in the one vehicle. Not his being in a lead vehicle in a small convoy.

I'm very keen to learn more about The Spriggs, could you please give any reference you may have regarding his taking support vehicles.

Cheers mate,

Kevin.
FollowupID: 771559

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 00:21

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 00:21
Hi Kevin E
Dr. Reg Sprigg and his family made the trip on their own (no support vehicle), as I stated in first reply. But what I written, it could have been any other kind of vehicle. Reg just chosen and bought second hand Nissan. Whole family was sworn to secrecy not to reveal made of vehicle, as Nissan refused to support anyhow Dr. Reg Sprigg and his family in crossing Simpson Desert.
Cheers Dana
FollowupID: 771592

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 01:05

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 01:05
Hi Dave
I taught so, I taped the documentary, so I looked back and yes….LOL & LOL there it is…”The king of the Outback” Toyota Troopy…. WOW…. that much for glory of Nissan.
Than again, that shouldn’t surprise you. Patrick use to run KIA promotional video, and we use to laugh, as he was promoting it as real 4WD. In background were always Troopys ….

Pat Callinan - lot slimmer little younger:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNMIv3BuGTs

By the way, French Line is not as rugged as Rig Road, Madigan Line or WAA Line.
But Patrick Callinan wouldn’t know that, as he never traveled that way and claiming that French Line is most rugged is misleading statement. It is other way around. French Line is quicker and easier way to cross Simpson.

FollowupID: 771595

Follow Up By: KevinE - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 19:21

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 19:21
"Yes, it was a Nissan who lead expedition" That' s the line that confused me. Sounds pretty much like you were saying there was an "expedition" with more than 1 make of vehicle.

"but it could have been any other vehicle!" But, it wasn't, was it! ;)

"so I looked back and yes….LOL & LOL there it is…”The king of the Outback” Toyota Troopy…. WOW…. that much for glory of Nissan."

Mate, you said yourself that Reg & his family did the trip on their own in a Nissan. Not a Ford, not a Land rover, not a Mazda, not a Mitsubishi, and, wait for it........ not a Toyota! Credit where credit is due! :)

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever! I couldn't give a rats what brand my next vehicle is, as long as it meets my needs. But, a Nissan was the 1st vehicle through the Simpson dessert & the family who drove it through did it without the help of some imaginary Toyota Super car lol!
FollowupID: 771618

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 19:40

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 19:40
Hi Kevin
If you want to know more about the Dr. Reg Sprigg and family trip X Simpson, buy your self the Australian 4WD magazine (No.187) and read about Reg’s expedition. You will know what I mean.
Cheers Dana
FollowupID: 771621

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 19:59

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 19:59
Rock Star by Kristin Weidenbach seems to be the authoritative work on the life of Dr. Reg Sprigg. My recollection from the book is that there were four teams of which Reg and his family was one. In fact I think the Spriggs were last to set out but the plan was to meet up in the desert and all proceed out. No doubt the Sprigg's vehicle lead the others out. If so it would be the first to cross the Simpson. I don't recall the makes of other vehicles or even if they were recorded.
I think the book is available from EzplorOz shop. If not it probably can be obtained fro Arkaroola. THat's where I bought my copy. I'm sure they will mail them out if you don't want to go there to collect it.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 771623

Reply By: member-PradoMad - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 18:31

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 18:31
Thanks for that.
JS.
AnswerID: 495889

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 14:22

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 14:22
While it was worth watching, it did become a bit of a Nissan Ad by the end. Plenty of
info on fuel consumption, but none of the 3 Nissans shown appeared to be carrying any.
Not a jerry in sight. The credits showed a Nissan support crew of about twenty, so no
chances were being taken & the entourage was kept out of site. No embarrassing
boggings or such..just 3 lightly loaded cars doing the Simpson. One must admire the
original crossing, but this re-enactment showed little of what Reg Sprigg & family would
have encountered...interesting nevertheless. Thanks for the heads up, Kevin.
cheers.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 495939

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 15:32

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 15:32
It was a bit amusing in Brisbane. The ad breaks were peppered with Holden Colorado ads so Nissan didn't get a clear run at their Patrol promotion. I find these programs to be a bit contrived. You can be sure that the first car through was the camera crew and the staff organising the camp were probably ahead most of the time as well. But I have to try not to be cynical.
But is was good to hear the comments by Doug and Marg on the original trip and the desert scenery was as brilliant as ever. And I'm sure that Nissan keep the old Patrol in moth balls but it still did well to cross at the age of 50. Just realised that the trip occurred just after wife and I were married.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 771547

Sponsored Links