Comment: Canning Stock Route

Hi I am from Tassie and would like to travel the CSR preferably not on my own, I would be interested if other like minded people with 4wd who want to do the CSR possible to plan a trip of 3 or 4 vehicles next year around June July. Please contact me if you are interested klfair44@bigpond.com Thanks Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 20:15

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 20:15
Hi Kev, there will be plenty of travellers on the CSR during that time.

My group is doing it in August 2013. I did it in 2009, a great drive.
AnswerID: 495899

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin F (TAS) - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 16:34

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 16:34
Thanks Mate! sounds like the way2go, regards Kev
FollowupID: 771552

Reply By: Danna - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 21:00

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 21:00
Hi Kevin
We were advised few years ago on this forum to go alone.
(Look in this forum heading:

Looking for partners to travel Canning Stock Route in August 2007)

People advising as were totally right! On Canning Stock Route is better to travel solo, travel is very slow....lots and lots of corrugation, but scenery sometime absolutely breath taking to magic, and you want to truly experience it with your partner in the vehicle.
You can will see lot more wildlife as a solo vehicle, than in any size of group.
Kevin don't worry, you will eventually hook-up with some people on track anyway, as there are people, traveling sort-of solo...but sort-of with other "solo drivers"..... And that's totally best way to experience CSR.
Good luck and let you tyres pressure down.
Cheers Dana
AnswerID: 495902

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin F (TAS) - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 16:42

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 16:42
Thanks Danna, I was sorta hinting at maybe there might have been a solo female traveller bashing around the scrub around the same time then I would truly have a partner to do CSR with. I will still be going partner or none and who knows what may eventuate lol. Thanks again and good travlin. cheers Kev
FollowupID: 771553

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 20:01

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 20:01
We did the CSR on our own this year in July/August. It was great to travel & camp on our own. Only place we camped with other travellers was Durba Springs.

The most important thing about travelling on your own is having your vehicle fully prepared, and back communications. We travelled with SPOT, HF radio & Sat Phone. One of these can always fail, as did our auto tune HF antenna (from the many corrugations).

We didnt see many vehicles travelling south/north (this is the way way we did it), but there were plenty of 4WDs heading north/south.

The corrugations are the biggest issue, especially round Well 33.

BTW, fuel was $3.40/Lt at Kunawaritji.
FollowupID: 771567

Follow Up By: Danna - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 23:57

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 23:57
G'Day Zebra400,

if you think that the corrugations are worst you will ever experience, thing twice as worst, and that is a corrugations from Emu to Tallaringa Well on Anne Beadell Highway. (probably the Worlds worst Hwy)
But whole trip is also worth to go to.
Cheers Dana
FollowupID: 771591

Sponsored Links