C Tek D250s Dual Pulsating Issue Solved

Just a note for others who may benefit by using the installation diagram at www.ctekbatterychargers.com The main difference is that unlike the install instructions that come with the unit it shows the location of the earth's. The solar has to be earthed to the Dual directly and not to the battery directly. The D250s is earthed to the battery so the solar earth ends up at the battery going via the D250s.

I also did find that the D250S has 3 fuses internally for I assume 3 circuits. The indicator lamps on the unit are shared by the 3 circuits , so in my case it was not apparent that I had blown a internal fuse until I had disconnected the solar and only then did the indicator lamps go out.

Apparently they don't like under hood heat and behind the glove box is the suggested location Worth further investigation if you have not already installed or are having issues.. Mine was mounted in a ute canopy and so heat was not a issue. I had wired my earth from the solar incorrectly and I assume my attempts at fault finding had caused the fuse internally to blow.

The intention of the post is that it may help someone else. I am not sure why the manufacturer has not shown the location of the earth's in the installation sheet that came with the product. I had assume all earth's would go directly to the battery which I now know is not correct
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 21:26

Saturday, Sep 29, 2012 at 21:26
kwk56pt
It is good you noticed the earthing paths and corrected them.
Just a comment about under bonnet temps for these types of devices.

The charger has a heat rating and lowers it's output to control the heat build up inside itself.
If mounted under the bonnet where it is hot, as some people have done, the under bonnet temps get to around the max operating temp of the unit and it therefore has to derate it's performance so it doesn't fry internally. This can mean a large reduction of output just to control internal heat. This means not much charge transfer can be produced to charge batteries and so it performs nowhere near the stated output while working in a hot /hostile environment.
AnswerID: 495905

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 08:30

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 08:30
Gday Ross,
I've not seen that in any of the Ctek info I have. Do you have a link?

From my understanding, temperature has 2 effects on the d250s.
#1 The voltage output is temperature regulated (probe is placed next to battery) so that hot temperatures reduce the voltage to prevent the battery overcharging.
#2 If the unit itself gets too hot, it shuts down and gives an error message with 3 lights flashing.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 771597

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 08:25

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 08:25
The install instructions in the User Manual that come with the product do in fact show the correct connections.

On page EN-3 the diagram shows the Vehicle Ground/Solar Panel negative wire connections terminating at the top right terminal. Perhaps it not quite plain enough for the non-electrical folk.

Interesting post however in that I wasn't aware there were internal fuses.
This is excellent information you have provided.

It is great that you have resolved your problem as the D250S Dual is a cost effective solution for management of both alternator and solar inputs to a remote battery bank.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495913

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 18:31

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 18:31
I would say it is done that way for ease of installation and not to confuse people..... solar is usually two core to the regulator so basicly the two wires are getting terminated close to each other.
FollowupID: 771560

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 21:33

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 21:33
I had the unit in a previous vehicle. I used the installation diagram 4 in the C Tek users manual. It shows the D250s being earthed to the service battery. The earthing of the alternator and solar to me was unclear, I assumed to the battery. In the installation diagram 3 again it shows the D250s being earthed to the battery but the alternator earthing is unclear and diagram 3 assumes no use of the solar.

Perhaps the diagram that came with it is not the same as the user manual diagram and its just a case of how I have interpreted it.

Hopefully the post may assist others.
Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 771580

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 08:33

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 08:33
This is a very simple diagram of the connection.

[img]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPtawOngxWA[/img

RA.

AnswerID: 495914

Sponsored Links