CSR Western Australia transport service

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 22:28
ThreadID: 98331 Views:2915 Replies:7 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a Canning Stock Route adventure but don't want to tow our camper trailer. Does anyone know of a transport service from Wiluna to Halls Creek or there abouts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 23:10

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 23:10
Have you seen ThreadID: 98323 just below?

aussiedingo might have contact details for the truck,

Steve
AnswerID: 495969

Reply By: Danna - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 01:36

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 01:36
Hi Kendall B
Congratulations that is very good idea! To tow any kind of camper trailer cross CSR is asking for trouble.
To tow anything on Anne Beadell Highway is madness as it is even worst corrugatin than on CSR.
Cheers Dana
AnswerID: 495970

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 08:57

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 08:57
Why would it be any different towing a well designed & purpose built camper trailer than driving a vehicle?
To quote a very well worn phrase "drive to the conditions"!

FollowupID: 771599

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 16:32

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 16:32
Anon
There are two facts.
Firstly, really good build trailer may survive corrugations, but load in it will not be so lucky.
Secondly trailers are stuffing up tracks for others, by banging over dunes and by jumping over corrugations making it even worst than they are. That sounds like very selfish behavior!
HooRoo Dana
FollowupID: 771612

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 17:48

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 17:48
A decent camper trailer will do no more damage than an overloaded 4WD.
The suspension on my Vista Crossover, or a Track Tvan would equal or better any 4WD.
As far as damage to my possessions, which is really my business, we haven't even chipped a china mug!
In regard to damage to dunes, one decent wind storm & you wouldn't know a vehicle had been over.
FYI we will be towing our Vista along the Anne Beadell next week, & no, I'm not being selfish.

FollowupID: 771615

Follow Up By: Danna - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 19:44

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 19:44
Ahhh ... never mined, there will be always some ....... like you stuffing it up for others.
Dana
FollowupID: 771622

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 21:11

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 21:11
Instead of sitting in judgement behind your keyboard, please provide documented evidence that a well set up vehicle & camper trailer will cause more problems than an overloaded vehicle.
Ask the first people to cross the Simpson Desert each season how much damage is evident.

The people that you should be concentrating your crusade against are the ones that desecrate our deserts by leaving 200 litre drums, other varied fuel containers & garbage bags of rubbish behind, or the ones that don't know what a shovel is for.
I bring far more rubbish out of the areas in which I camp than I could ever create.
FollowupID: 771628

Follow Up By: Danna - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 10:16

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 10:16
Anon
My dear, I don’t have to prove to you anything! That’s just the law of physics! Longer the vehicle (that include anything in tow), more damage to a tracks! Simple.

With 280Lt fuel tank under body, and 58 Lt water tank as well I will never need any drums. As my vehicle is properly modified, it is never overloaded.
When it comes to rubbish, we always take our rubbish with us not only to civilization, but we take it home. So do not assume……
We do not only take our rubbish to home, but we do NOT wash our dishes in water and chuck greasy water with yucky remains of food to the bush. That makes damage to bush as well by killing vegetation, and yucky remains of food brings a dingos to a camping grounds. Unfortunately because of that, dingos are unnecessarily persecuted for wanting more of food from people like you.
Do you wash your dishes ecologically? ….. hardly… as you wouldn’t know how anyway….

Dana
FollowupID: 771653

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 17:52

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 17:52
Dana, you are walking on thin ice now, we don't get personal on this forum, if you were a member you know that.
DON'T presume to know what I know or don't know!
As far as corrugations are concerned, they are mostly caused by driving too fast or tyre pressures being too high.
May I suggest with nearly 350kgs of fuel & water in your vehicle, that you check your GVM.

BTW, Anon. Is part of the quote in my signature, not my user name, but then maybe I am wrong about that too!

FollowupID: 771666

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 18:10

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 18:10
When it says in Section 7 of the Canning Stock Route Information Pack for 2012, that trailers are not welcome, then that’s good enough for me. If I was to say that I prefer you not to smole in my house what would you do. Isn’t it the same. Apparently the locals prefer trailers to be left at home so why go against their wishes. Who cares why. Just as it's none of your business why I do not allow smoking in my house nor even my yard.

In fact the pack also states that “Camper trailers have previously been stuck across one particular creek crossing and for this reason Cunyu Station specifically insists that NO camper trailers transverse their property.”

Me? I’d leave mine at home and respect their wishes. But I respect peoples wishes a little more than some.

Reference: Info pack that you apparently get with the permission to travers the CSR

Phil
FollowupID: 771669

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 19:45

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 19:45
In theory, a vehicle not towing will cause less damage to tracks than a vehicle towing;

however there are a whole lot of variables, tyre pressure, weights, suspension etc.

A well set up vehicle and trailer running correct tyre pressures will travel as good as or even better than a single vehicle.

I have first hand exerience of the CSR with a group of vehicles, 1 towing 3 not. The towing vehicle and 1 of the single vehicles had less problems that the remianing two non towing vehicles.

Why, because the two that had no problems ran low tyre pressures, and the other two didn't.

As far as track wear went, the other two also refused to lock in their front hubs, until they got stuck on dunes, then they would go to 4wd to get out.

But just as here as driverstowing who wont do the the right thing, there are single cars who wont do the right thing as well

It isn't just a simple yes/no to towing.

The Information pack does say no trailers, but it also says low tyre pressures, people dont seem to read that as well.

The idea of a ban is to get the lowest common denominator out of the picture.

Alan

FollowupID: 771674

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 20:53

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 20:53
What you are forgetting is that the locals said no trailers. End of story.

The rest of your argument which is off topic is irrelevant. If you wish to discuiss your point then start a new thread and get everyone involved. This is not helping the thread owner.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 771677

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 21:01

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 21:01
Your right Phil, but so is your response above.
It is off topic to a thread that is about a trailer towing service.

The poster has olbviously already made the decision not to tow, so your response above is not helping him either

good night

Alan
FollowupID: 771678

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 21:16

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 21:16
Whoops Got me! True Alan

Phil
FollowupID: 771679

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 04:06

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 04:06
Towing a trailer in the Canning is relatively easy.
It's all about tyre pressures, and footpront.

We had no trouble, either by digging up the dunes, or getting stuck.
Basically we just plodded along.

Our CT has done a lot of tracks in the outback, including the Simpson, and Cape York, OTT. and never even looked like "letting go", or in that fact causing any damage to anything.

Next year we will be towing across the Anne Beadell, Connie Sue, and the Gary Highways.

If some of the knockers want to have a go, then i suggest you educate people about those rediculous run ups out in the Canning, that we never used., and slow them down.

Just a bit of common sence and low tyre pressure and you can virtually go anywhere.

Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 771741

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 07:15

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 07:15
Kendall B,

I would be looking at transport services in Meekatharra and have a talk to them. They maybe able to load back from Wiluna and then put the camper on a north bound truck.

That is a very long run and it will cost a lot of dollars.

Best of luck,

RA.
AnswerID: 495971

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 07:48

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 07:48
Hi Kendall B, could be worth looking at travelling from north to south as rates for back loading towards Perth could be a lot cheaper?
We did the CSR from north to south and found it a much easier trip.

No sun in the eyes and the northern face of the sand hills were in much better condition than the southern side as in the photo above.

Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 495973

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 08:23

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 08:23
We towed camper trailers along the CSR with no problems whatsoever.

AnswerID: 495976

Reply By: desray (WA - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 08:59

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 08:59
Kendall B what date are you thinking of doing the CSR, I will be doing it next year july/aug time. I will be driving from Perth to Halls Creek and driving back down the CSR. I could pick up your trailer at Wiluna and drop off at Halls Creek,its on my way so to speak .
AnswerID: 495978

Follow Up By: Kendall B - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 21:59

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 21:59
thinking of july next year so dates could work. but now reading some of the replies it has opened up a discussion of if it is best to do it north/south or south/north.
FollowupID: 771633

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 11:47

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 11:47
Funny, we're heading up the CSR around July next year - and my father and I were having a discussion as to how to get his trailer from Wiluna to Halls Creek - or where to store it in Wiluna ... if Kendall doesn't take you up on the offer ....we may - obviously some $$ for your effort.
AnswerID: 495990

Follow Up By: desray (WA - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 21:36

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 21:36
No problems , I am going that way , towing a trailer or not makes no difference to me. I could leave it in Halls Creek caravan park for you to pick up when you get there. I would also be passing you going the other way on the CSR.
FollowupID: 771630

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 00:01

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 00:01
Thanks desray - our plan is to be in Wiluna around 3rd week in July - will talk to Dad and see if he's interested
FollowupID: 771638

Sponsored Links