camper trailer-Coromal Pioneer Silhouette Camper

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 16:54
ThreadID: 9835 Views:3444 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Wife says swag ok for usual 2-3 week desert trip,however insists more "creature comfort"required for proposed 12-14 week expedition.

We are contemplating purchasing a CPSC 390-1xc.

Any CPSC owner able to give me appraisal of performance of the CPSC on rough and corrugated roads and tracks , similar to say the Gibb River Rd. and up to the Mitchell Plateau or Coen to Bamaga?
Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brian - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 22:34

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 22:34
Phil have corromal 420 magnam off road version,travelled heaps corrogated,stoney,dusty roads no problems at all with the van other than destroying the 6 inch pvc tube on front of van that held annex steel poles. . Towing with 3litre gu patrol with goodyear mtr,s.Never seen tyres throw as many stones as these,had stones from rear wheels hit front of van and bounce along roof of patrol and roll down windscreen.Yes I am fitting stone deflector.I had protected rear window with VB carton taped to rear door.Had to find new carton every 3 days or so,No trouble from the missus good cause you know.

Fuel consumption with van ,r/rack,b/bar etc around 6.5 / 7.0 k/l
Happy travels.
AnswerID: 43462

Follow Up By: phil - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 06:46

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 06:46
Brian,
Thanks for the info.
Stone deflector is obviously essential.I did wonder whether the padded front of the van was to simply stop damage to the van or to help reduce stones from bouncing back onto the towing vehicle. It appears it acts like a "Shanghai" pelting rocks back towards the towing vehicle!!
I would be interested to hear from you when you fit the guard.
Phil.

FollowupID: 305851

Reply By: Wombat - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:05

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:05
G'day Phil,

You're really going from boiled lollies to chocolates. We have a 390-2xc and love it. We towed it into Woods Point in shockingly wet weather and out in a very dusty corrugated convoy during November last year and had no problems whatsoever. We have since driven on some fairly cut up tracks to test its limitations and, as yet have not been able to break it. The independant suspension seems to be very well sorted and limits the amount of jarring inside the camper. The quality of the intrenal fittings and fitout was what really convinced us to pay a premium price in comparison to the alternative manufacturers.

My only criticism of any consequence would be the excessive towball weight (230kg if the water tank is empty), but I am about to overcome this with the addition of two luggage boxes on the rear bumper to carry the annexe.

What will you be towing it with?
"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 43499

Follow Up By: phil - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 07:01

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 07:01
Wombat,
Thanks for the reply.
Do you have bag annexe or conventional type? Either way any comments?
I would be interested to hear from you when you have fitted the luggage boxes.
Does your van have a galvanised frame?
Tow vehicle will be TD5 Discovery auto.
Phil
FollowupID: 305852

Follow Up By: Wombat - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:57

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:57
Phil,

We have a conventional annexe which we use if we are staying in one place for more than two days. It takes about 15 minutes to set up without pegs and guy ropes or double that to peg it down. All the Silhouettes have galvanised frames with the standard version being 4" and the off road version 6". With the TD5 Disco you probably won't know it's there most of the time."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 305873

Reply By: 10 Para- Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:38

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:38
Hi Phil,
We have an off road camper try http://www.australianoffroadcampers.com.au/ you will find steve most helpful,
RegardsHome For Xmas
AnswerID: 43573

Reply By: brian - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:18

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:18
Phil just an observation I find that mildew is a problem on the roll out awning and the roof fabric panels above the beds,it seems that the plastic coating on top of the canvas attracts moisture on the underside.Have tried to dry it after use but still gets mildue.

Interestingly my previous 25y/old camper with straight canvasnever had mildew in 25yrs
Happy travelling.
AnswerID: 43633

Follow Up By: Wombat - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:02

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:02
Hi Brian,

The roof panels above the beds on the Silhouette are not manufactured from canvas, but are a white PVC type material. Thus far we haven't had any signs of mildew, but if we have to pack up wet we make sure to allow the canvas to dry again at the first opportunity."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 305874

Sponsored Links