What would be a good home?

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 15:58
ThreadID: 98369 Views:3780 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have just recently got myself a job but I am wanting to save for my own home. I decided that I move far too often for it to be practical to buy an actual house and I quite often have itchy feet and move on. So I was thinking motor homes.
I started off with small caravans and camper trailers and decided that I would feel too cramped in the long run especially when I also come with pets.
Then I looked at a Winnebago Longreach but found that I will have trouble storing them although I haven't ruled the Longreach out as yet.
I was later advised to buy a motor home but not the Winnebago brand and never actually found out why. I asked if it was because of the price and she said no but then she got distracted and I never found out.
I will rent whatever is on my final list just before I buy for a couple of weeks so I can look at any issues as well as any bonuses before hand.
So I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on what would be a good buy.
Thank you so much for your help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 18:38

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 18:38
Jamie

We have no experience with Winnebago directly, however good friends bought one of the top of the line numbers and had no end of problems and warranty issues. To the extent that they have rued the day they signed up for one.

Perhaps it's that to which she was referring.
AnswerID: 496110

Reply By: Danna - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 21:21

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 21:21
Hi Jamie
We never owned any motor-home. But we were camping in Pilliga and there was this nice couple next to us. They were from Melbourne with $150, 000 / 4days new Winnebago. Lady was everyday upset with another fault she found, and her hubby just wanted to go back to Melbourne and ask for money back……
Poor retirees hoped for driving around Australia, in stud I thing they went back to dealer. There were so many thinks wrong with camper, it wasn’t funny…… we were feeling so sorry for those people.
I’m just letting you know, so you do not end up like those unfortunate people.
Maybe some other brand will be better.
HooRoo Dana
AnswerID: 496118

Reply By: Joker - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 05:13

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 05:13
I would go for a caravan, off road or whatever you like. You can then leave the van in a safe location when you go 'bush' in your towing vehicle. A motorhome would mean you had to pack up almost everytime you wished to go anywhere.

Good Luck in your search.
AnswerID: 496124

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 14:47

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 14:47
A 5th wheeler would be a better bet.
FollowupID: 771772

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 16:05

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 16:05
I'd go for a big 'van or 5th wheeler too, Jamie. If you get a motorhome, you really need a 2nd vehicle, as a runabout, but with the above two, you already have something.

We lived in a van for 6 years, on stations in NT & Qld, and when you're in them 24/7 a bit of extra room is very welcome. We ended up in a 36' x 9' tri-axle van, for a while, and except when towing(with an HJ45 ute!!!), it was a delight to live in. Kids had their own room, a school room, large living area & kitchen and even a master bedroom, with shower. Would have been ideal for permanent living.

Lot of 5th wheelers about, and they all seem big, or bigger. With slide-outs etc, they'd be very comfortable, and easy to tow. If you were to be in one place for some time, then you could cancel the rego, and just get a permit for when, and if, you want to shift.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 771777

Sponsored Links