Be aware of Landrovers

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 984 Views:1479 Replies:17 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Is it true that due to constant breakdowns and mechanical dramas, Landrover is to place a sticker to the back winscreen saying......THIS VEHICLE IS NOT TO BE DRIVEN OFF ROAD?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ronnie - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
Mark,on the recent trip in the Kimberley,my mates td5 turbo packed up.After all the waiting and repair the gearbox seazed after only 150 km.This car is only 6 months old.The bloke in the Defender that did the run for turbo broke down 2 days later (diff trouble).The cluch also falled to bits(plate glued not rivetted)and broke front axle before trip was over.This vehicle was 9 months old. Sticker seems like good idea.Long live Toyotas and Nissans.
AnswerID: 2918

Follow Up By: Matthew - Sunday, Apr 21, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 21, 2002 at 00:00
nothing wrong with my 99 Escape Pajero MATE
FollowupID: 1164

Reply By: DAMIEN MARSHALL - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Oh No! - Here we go again!!!!
AnswerID: 2920

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

OK - It is now time for us to start cracking down on these silly forum questions. It is not acceptable to place these sort of questions on this forum. We (ExplorOz) have not wanted to get to involved with the daily operations of the forum as it is for our users to use however, we have been receiving a number of complaints from people about these deliberate product slag off's. Please use this forum as it was intended.DavidIt is espically anonying when these type of questions are lodged by people who leave invalid email addresses.
AnswerID: 2922

Follow Up By: Donalddasher - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

david

can u tell me what the difference is between the "deliberate product slag off" of the above question and this months 4x4 australia magazine which has the worst 4x4's of all time. both offer negative opinions on products.if the writer of the above question is to be condemmed for voicing an opinion so should the journo's of the magazine with comments which can also be described as product slag offs or is it that just because u write for a publication its accceptable. a forum is about freedom of speech for people to voice their opinion on products, services or experiences whether good or bad so the rest of us can make informed decisions. if negative criticism cannot be acccepted then it defeats the purpose of the forum.

cheers

donalddasher

FollowupID: 1134

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

DonaldDasher, there is nothing wrong with asking questions and expressing opinions, but if you consider the short term history of some of the threads within this forum, and consider the type of question that has been asked here it should be very easy to see, and reasonable to expect that most of us who have followed these forums over the last week, to see that the question asked by Mark is quite deliberately loaded. You can look at it as a fairly clinical question on one hand, but if it is analysed at the most basic level it is just a thinly veiled cover as an excuse to start another flame war, and a question to which an answer would not take much thought at all. What’s the difference between a slag-off, and negative opinions/questions? I would start by suggesting the nature of the responses, are they accurate, constructive and beneficial or are they just mindless attacks on anything or anyone. I don’t think David is trying to prevent any negative criticism, it’s the unreasonable conduct he is trying to prevent on what is essentially his forum (for us to use). What I wouldn’t like to see is the quality and constructiveness of this forum degenerate into something unconstructive, personal and scathing. Regards Slunnie.
FollowupID: 1136

Follow Up By: Bill Church - Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00
Well said David, I for one am sick of post headings that are OBVIOUSLY designed to catch the eye and start a flame war. PLEASE STOP IT HAPPENING, either with warnings or by banning repeat offenders. And yes, I expect significant flaming myself for this post, but I stand fast by my comments. Bill
FollowupID: 1142

Follow Up By: Dennisn - Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00

'Onya Shunnie & Bill. Like you, I support the Exloroz team 100% in this matter. I for one am sick of this garbage. David [Exploroz] why not make forum access to users who only supply a verifiable and valid email address? Definitely not a "web based" email as is the case now. I am registered here under a web based email address but would willingly supply my genuine email address to the Exploroz team if it would stop this crap. This way the contributor, their email address [and of course their I.P. address] could be logged by Exploroz and people who post "flame" articles could be barred forever. It works well on other Australian bulletin Boards and forums [especially stockmarket ones]. Lets get rid of the CRAP, and get back to what this great forum is all about - helping each other get the most from our fabulous bush. And just in closing, I would like to thank the Exploroz team for providing such a great website. 'Onya fellers - enjoy the bush.
FollowupID: 1148

Reply By: Tim - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

I think he must just have a "lemon".
The Australian Defence Force is constantly using them all through the top end and they cop nothing less then a flogging at the best of times and they stand up to the test.
Tim
AnswerID: 2932

Reply By: murray - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

What a ridiculous waste of a very good forum.We all develop likes and dislikes .
AnswerID: 2934

Reply By: Mark - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

I am serious,that is what i heard. Due to a lot of expenditure to warranty claims Landrover plans to introduce disclaimer sticker and basicly classify off roading as vehicle missuse.
AnswerID: 2939

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Saturday, Apr 20, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 20, 2002 at 00:00
Mark, don't believe what you have been told then. Land Rover appear to be confident in the current range of vehicles. About 2 years ago they doubled the warranty to 2yr/50000km(?). I have just read that in the UK it is now 3yr/unlimitedkm, and in Aus 3yr/100000km. My dealer (service manager actually) quite categorically states that LandRovers are not designed for the city, they're designed to be used in the bush.
FollowupID: 1156

And to place a sticker in the back window, seriously! 2 chances of LR doing that.
FollowupID: 1157

Reply By: Al - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Tim
Too many lemons with the green badge.
The one Ronnie is talking about must have been build on sunday.
AnswerID: 2940

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Nothing wrong with calling the spade a spade guys.
Be brave in this new world of political correctnes and tell it like it is. Landrover is a culture in this country which dates way back when we didn't have anything better.They have a lot of caracter even today and are beloved by their followers but underall this is just a poorly build , unreliable product.
no hard feelings
AnswerID: 2942

Follow Up By: Bob - Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00

Most of what appears on this forum as criticism of particular makes is unreliable third hand information like "I've heard...." or "My neighbour had a.." This is called level 8 evidence and carries no weight whatsoever. Yes, all vehicles have problems and we may have personal or indirect knowledge of a particular problem. However, that doesn't mean all cars from that maker are duds. I would attach more credence to a properley conducted survey of vehicle faults. This is my vehicle ownership experience: Pajero 1 - no problems, Pajero 2 - no problems, LX470 - major problem, Discovery II Td5- minor problems (remote locking, CD player). Another factor seems to be the football team mentality where some people on this list can't help cheering for what they themselves presently own, and bag what comes from another maker or country - really informative stuff guys.
FollowupID: 1140

Follow Up By: Damien - Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00

Get off your high-horse Bob, i've heard nothing but whingeing & complaining from you & a couple of others. Some people have a view to express & they're using this forum to do it, i agree some may be going a little too far but they have every right & it's not upto you to censure them.
As for your comment about third hand information from a friend or neighbour who own Disco's, i think i'm certainly in the position to make a comment as quite often i was in my friend & neighbours disco when it broke down & left us stranded!!!!
FollowupID: 1141

Reply By: Graham - Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00

Let me start by saying that I have no allegiance to any particular brand. It seems that there actually might be a problem/s with Landrovers, but rather than bagging someone for bagging a product y don't u list the products good points and maybe balance the arguement, after all, isnt that the reason u visit the forum.... to get info. to make an informed decision. Cheers Graham
AnswerID: 2950

Reply By: Mark - Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00

Landrovers in my oppinion are very capable off road vehicles.Absolutely superb on the road,comfy,civilized so on, so on.All that is of no importance, because bloody things are so unreliable and prone to breakdown.It is not the case of rubbishing the Landrover it is simple a informed oppinion based on my personal experience.
I owned 4 Lndrovers in last 11 years.
I got the 4.2 turbo diesel Nissan now.
Here Bob and the rest of you, are you happy now.
I just think that regardles of all of the a
AnswerID: 2956

Mark, I'm not sure what happened here but not all of you post came out.
FollowupID: 1158

Reply By: Ivan - Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00

What a democracy we have here kids. Say whatever you want for as long you agree with the big brother.Landrovers are unreliable and of questionable quality.When i think of one i think of the coffin on wheels
AnswerID: 2957

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00

We absolutely wish for this forum to be a place where all views are heard, but likewise we wish that our forum remains protected from dud qns and answers. By saying "dud" I mean when the qn posted is not a genuine query from a person, when in fact it is a retorical question or a statement intend to stir up response. In many instances regarding this Landrover debate both qn posters and qn respondents have not used valid email address which indicates that the forum is being abused, and that they are not genuine in their desire for more info on the topic. Please be assured we are not interested in "policing" the forum and if a bothersome qn is asked then the best response from readers who dislike it is to simply ignore it, rather than giving the person the pleasure of seeing online the fuss that they have stirred up. For those of you who know how this forum works, the qns will soon become archived without any intervention from us - so if the qns here bother you, don't read them and don't answer them. Thanks everyone! Anyway, you've done wonders for our hit rates!
AnswerID: 2958

Follow Up By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2002 at 00:00
Good on ya Michelle, always look on the bright side of life ;-)
Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 1186

Reply By: donalddasher - Sunday, Apr 21, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 21, 2002 at 00:00
if am to purchase a product regardless what that product may be ie vehicle, suspension, winch,tv, refrigerator etc etc i am more interested in learning about the negatives based on peoples opinions/experiences as that flags what may be potential problems with the product and something to further research to confirm or refute the given information. its too late after youve forked out a heap of dollars for a product which turns out to be unreliable and costly to repair. the geater availablity information generally leads to a better decision.
cheers
donalddasher
AnswerID: 2966

Reply By: Bob - Monday, Apr 22, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 22, 2002 at 00:00
Damien thinks having an opinion contrary to his and a few other baggers on this list constitutes whingeing. So Damien - what should I do? Read a lot of twaddle on this list from a range of people with what seem to be significant personality problems and just accept it? Or do I provide feedback of my experience with a range of vehicles which seems to at variance with their expectations. I am sorry to disappoint you but I am unable to confirm that the series II Td5 is unreliable. Damien - better to be on a high horse than to be the horses arse ;-)
AnswerID: 3009

Follow Up By: Damien - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2002 at 00:00

Oh, aren't we the comedian! You should know about arses, you're the smart one!
How long did it take you to think of this response, quite a while by the looks of it, but then that's not surprising, judging by your IQ now is it.
If the only way you can get your point across is to become personally abusive, then you're a waste of time & space, but if that's what you want to do, i can probably drag myself into your gutter.
Can't you get it through your head, what I & several others have said is that Disco's appear to be unreliable & this has been backed up by numerous examples.
You have not done or said anything to disprove this theory. Until you come up with some credible evidence to the contrary i would say you are in denial & that you and the disco are a perfect match - both duds!!!
FollowupID: 1179

Follow Up By: Damien - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2002 at 00:00

Oh, aren't we the comedian! You should know about arses, you're the smart one!
How long did it take you to think of this response, quite a while by the looks of it, but then that's not surprising, judging by your IQ now is it.
If the only way you can get your point across is to become personally abusive, then you're a waste of time & space, but if that's what you want to do, i can probably drag myself into your gutter.
Can't you get it through your head, what I & several others have said is that Disco's appear to be unreliable & this has been backed up by numerous examples.
You have not done or said anything to disprove this theory. Until you come up with some credible evidence to the contrary i would say you are in denial & that you and the disco are a perfect match - both duds!!!
FollowupID: 1180

Follow Up By: Alreadytaken69 - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2002 at 00:00

seems that damien thinks he is only just now becoming personally abusive. makes you wonder what else he can be wrong about. just about everything, methinks!!!
FollowupID: 1185

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2002 at 00:00

Get off your high horse Damien and stop whingeing and complaining. You're a hypocrite.
AnswerID: 3033

Follow Up By: Damien - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2002 at 00:00
Well done Bob, what, can't think of anything original to write.
I don't think i've been a hypocrite - well maybe just a little bit, but hey, i'd rather be a hypocrite than a Landrover owner ha ha ha ha ha.
FollowupID: 1192

Reply By: Damien - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2002 at 00:00

Alreadytaken69, i may be wrong about a few things.
One subject i'm not wrong about is the reliability of disco's - god i'm sick of explaining it - even disco owners are now saying how good LR are with their warranty support - i wouldn't be trying to "sell" my car on that point.
Second point, if you're going to make a decent contribution, see if you can write more than 2 lines. You seem to watch & jump in with stupid one liners, trying to be funny - oops, sorry, i'm being a bit abusive aren't i, please don't get upset!.........
AnswerID: 3054

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2002 at 00:00

Do you mean some Disco's? Reliability is not an issue in all Disco's, mine is a testiment to this so far. Regards Slunnie.
FollowupID: 1198

Slunnie, how are you mate? Long time no talk!!
Sorry, yes you're right, i have generalised here a bit, i'll try not to do that in the future.
Good to hear your Disco's going well.
FollowupID: 1202

Follow Up By: Alreadytaken69 - Thursday, Apr 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 25, 2002 at 00:00
who's upset damien? seem's to me that you are or else you would'nt be getting all emotional about this thread. as for "trying to be funny", better that than a tyrannical know-it-all like yourself.
FollowupID: 1219

Follow Up By: Damien - Thursday, Apr 25, 2002 at 00:00

Alreadytaken69, more than 2 lines - good to see you're learning, well done buddy!
Tyrannical - big word for a little boy! Take you long to look that one up??
Now about getting upset & emotional - i don't think so, just stating the facts as they are.
Now, wasn't it you having a go at me about being personally abusive - mmm!!
Now go away you goose, you're wasting my time.
FollowupID: 1233

Follow Up By: Alreadytaken69 - Thursday, Apr 25, 2002 at 00:00

some people never learn. you're one of them......
FollowupID: 1235

Follow Up By: Damien - Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00
Oh please stop it, i can't take the criticism anymore!! You're too quick witted for me!!
FollowupID: 1240

Reply By: Slunnie - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2002 at 00:00

Good! Bush a lot lately. I posted that and hoped I wasn't the dumb ass about to break down :) Where's some wood to touch! Regards Slunnie.
AnswerID: 3075

LOL, good to see some humour in this rather heated debate!!
FollowupID: 1209

Sponsored Links