Universal Toyota IN-DASH GPS Navigation

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 13:48
ThreadID: 98405 Views:4617 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I was thinking of getting this unit for my 100 series. it has most thing I would use and some things i will not. Does anyone have any feed back please, i am interested in the blue tooth, does it work ok, not good ect.

any feed back will be good feedback.

Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rooey77 - Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 13:50

Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 13:50
I should also mention the main component, The GPS!! Is it any good??

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496229

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 14:37

Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 14:37
Some people swear by them, others, at them.
If in dash, I'm not a fan of them, it can only be used in dash and not anywhere else like a GPS unit or a tablet with GPS mapping. If it has Blueteeth it is another really good feature while in car and of no use anywhere else. It may have reverse camera feature too, that's good.
The quality/performance and update ability I am not sure of, best to check.
Overall if it always works maybe OK but if one function fails or the main screen section gives trouble the whole lot is useless.
In dash units aren't easily used in another vehicle if needed.

I have stuck with individual units which can be replaced or upgraded and the failure of one has no bearing on the others. Unfortunately this means more items to keep charged/plugged in etc.
FollowupID: 771881

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 17:49

Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 17:49
Hi Rooey,
I agree with Ross.

I have opted for individual units also mainly because I did not want to change the original layout of the vehicle. I have thought about one many times I might add but have chosen to stick with what I have.

I got a cheap bluetooth from ebay which is currently selling for under $20 and work plenty well enough for me and it clips onto the sun visor or where ever you want and I have a reverse camera which cost less than $60 all up including the monitor. Under $80 for the gear and the Cruiser still looks original.

GPS cost a couple of hundred though but is easily upgraded as I can take it in to the computer, or update the GPS unit if i wish.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 771890

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 19:48

Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 19:48
yep - the in dash jobs look sexy but the individual/stick-on is far more flexible. I got a bit excited about one on Pradopoint which really look the part but in the end, the voice in the back of my head told me to stay put.

Have a look on the lcool website for lots of

info:http://www.lcool.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

FollowupID: 771896

Follow Up By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 10:46

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 10:46
+1 for separate units. Have also found the in dash units susceptible to the sun and to look at the screen you need to take your eyes of the road. Can be distracting & dangerous if your straining to see small tracks etc.
FollowupID: 771925

Reply By: Mapesy (QLD) - Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 17:45

Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 17:45
Hi Rooey,
I bought one from ebay with GPS, Bluetooth, DVD, CD, USB etc. and it works fine. I haven't yet tried to upgrade the GPS maps so I can't advise you there. Mine has a reversing camera which works well also.

Good hunting.
AnswerID: 496235

Reply By: R Send - Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 17:51

Saturday, Oct 06, 2012 at 17:51
Who's the supplier/maker?
AnswerID: 496236

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 13:05

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 13:05
Hiya

Mate there are a lot on Ebay relating to these units...You have to really make up your mind whats the first two features you need and the rest is basically a bonus...Also i would suggest buying from an Australian distributor..

I need 4wdrive maps as i am in the High country exploring every year..(Although i have a Magellan and love there maps,There one of or if not the best for The High Country i.m.h.o)
One guy has had good usage with this model.Although its not an in car 2 din unit...

NEW 7" GPS HD CAR NAVIGATION 12GB + LED WIRELESS REVERSE CAMERA

View larger images 7" HD GPS CAR NAVIGATION SYSTEM+WIRELESS REVERSE CAMERA

New Arrival On Sale Double 2 Din In-Dash 7 Inches HD Touch Screen Car DVD Player

Goodluck
FollowupID: 771934

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 20:14

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 20:14
Rooey77

Depends what you want, I have a Garmin 760, I have also had 2 independent GPS's stolen from the windscreen of my car.

I also purchased an in dash unit so that I can play mp3 music on cd, and 8 or 16gig of music on mini sd card as well as listen to talking books on a usb drive. There is also a dvd player, TV if required and best of all a reversing camera.

Although no GPS should replace a paper map, the GPS is good enough to travel anywhere on the main road and many tracks on the east coast of NSW. It has IGO Primo maps which is a common street mapping system. It runs Windows 6 CE so I can run OzExplorer, when I get around to doing it.

The one I have is from DINO (click here) and at the time I paid $261 delivered, seems to cost more now.

It is a direct replacement, no wire cutting, just the reversing camera and parking brake to be wired, otherwise un-ip the existing radio.cd placer and plug this one in.

Someone said about taking their eye off the road to see where they are going on the GPS, I just turn on the voice guidance and that cuts across any music, talking book or radio station. Glare can be an issue, in dash or stuck to the windscreen... we tend to adapt.

As for changing vehicles.... who doesn't have a GPS in the car these days? or at least google maps on their phone.

Anyway everyone has an opinion........ you have heard mine....
AnswerID: 496277

Sponsored Links