what do I buy??/

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 20:46
ThreadID: 9841 Views:1849 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday, I currently own a 4.2 ltr Nissan Patrol, DX, non turbo and was thinking of updating to a 3 ltr patrol in Sept. 2004. However, after reading of the horror stories on the forum, about the engines, I am getting the "nervous jitters."The new vehicle will tow an 18 ft van, so what do I buy? A Nissan 4,2 turbo or a Toyota Prado? Cruisers getting a little too rich pocket wise and also I don't particularly want constant 4x4.(As is the Prado, I know).

My present patrol has been brilliant and does a lot of miles with no problems. Anyone had experience with the Patrol 4.2 intercooled turbo. Do these have the same engine problems as the 3 litre Patrol?

I would be interested to hear any comments regarding my questions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 21:08

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 21:08
The only "update" you can make is to a 4.2litre GU...... They are virtually the same engine as you have now.......___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 22:04

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 22:04
DO you need to upgrade??

If it was me, would go a 96-97 model 80 series with the 24 valve motor...
std with heaps of goodies.

as Voxon said though, the TD42 is brilliant reliability wise, cant be beat. Updating to a GU would just get u lower klms and new body shape.
AnswerID: 43454

Reply By: awill4x4 - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 22:06

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 22:06
Personally, unless you want to change to upgrade to an ST or ST-L with all their features then I wouldn't bother to update.
Get an aftermarket turbo kit from one of the major reputable companies complete with intercooler if you wish and you'll have a car which will outhaul the factory intercooled turbo diesel anyday. Nissans factory turbo isn't really optimum and is very low boost pressure. (they really need a larger compressor housing to get the best out of them) and as for their intercooler "WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!"
It's the same i/cooler of the old 2.8 and doesn't even have the fan underneath that the 2.8 came with.
It should be a far cheaper option than upgrading and you don't have to pay stamp duty to go with it.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 43456

Reply By: cokeaddict - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 01:02

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 01:02
Hi Big Bear,

I agree with all that replied, I just sold my GQ 1989 mod 4.2 diesel that i owned for years...great car indeed, just hopeless up hills. Now i got this one..in the pic below. Later model with a turbo......what a dream this thing is. Amazing the difference a turbo makes....Hmmm good name for a song that....Id seriously consider getting your GQ Turbo'ed. Much cheaper option indeed.

Just for those that dont know....my old 89 GQ 4.2 D would usually climb a hill in 3rd gear, and sometimes down to 2nd...snails pace !..Same hills now in the turbo one.....5th gear and makes it look sooo easy.

Must have had my head in the sand for years .....FOOL !!!!I love it when you talk DIRTY !
AnswerID: 43471

Follow Up By: big bear - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:38

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:38
Sorry, forgot to mention that my present Nissan is a GU, non turbo, must have been one of the last without the turbos. Was an ex Nissan company vehicle with only 11,000 kms on the clock. The suggestion to put an aftermarket turbo on sounds like it might be worthwhile considering. Thanks everyone for your thoughts, all replies were appreciated.
FollowupID: 305765

Reply By: harry5 - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:25

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:25
Big Bear go and test the Paj DiD 3.2 it will do everything you want it to do plus has a superior engine & transmission than the vehicles mentioned log on to Pajeroclub.com.au
AnswerID: 43501

Reply By: lizard - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 19:40

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 19:40
As others have said - just turbo what you have got - BUT there is a reason Nissan only run relatively low boost pressures on their turbo - it is to do with reliability , whilst the 4.2D is unbreakable it does have a problem removing heat from inside motor ,..... so turbo and an intercooler would be a really good option , would make a top tow & tour vehicle ... I have had a GQ 4.2D and now a GU - this one a petrol (had to have an auto and the 3.0 wasn't released when I got it).
AnswerID: 43544

Reply By: colin - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:28

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:28
Look at fitting a super charger over a turbo, far superior performance and tourqe and no turbo lag, really great for slow driving cross country and un beleivable for towing. I have one fitted to my 92 GQ 4.2 diesal, and the price is about the same price as a intercooled turbo also no heat genereted and the unit is fully servicable, and you will also be able to run extractors as well. I have towed a 20ft boat and do a lot of ks with a camper trailer and have done over 60000ks with no problems at all. Col
AnswerID: 43647

Sponsored Links