Ford Ranger 2012 XLT Towing Thoughts Please Help ???

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 13:49
ThreadID: 98418 Views:8378 Replies:10 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Gday guys and girls I'm struggling to find many people towing with the new Ranger 2012 XLT's Im seriously looking at getting one but i need some feed back as the Car dealers dont have em installed on their show room vehicles :)
Im needing to tow my 3.1 t family boat i know this is primarily a caravan forum but im struggling to find anyone so im hoping some of you might be towing some big vans around of similar weight.
Any feed back would be Great Thanks in Advance

Cheers Mick
mickh@wadivers.com.au
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 17:13

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 17:13
Mick,
have a look here. You may have to register but that is pretty easy.

You wil get actual data from those who have one.

New Ranger Forum

RA.
AnswerID: 496266

Follow Up By: Mick H - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 20:14

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 20:14
Thanx RA i'll certainly hit them up I cant believe it didnt come up in my searches..

Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 772005

Reply By: mylestom - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 17:18

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 17:18
Here one on the Ford forum over 100 pages of it from inception. Hope it is helpful.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11286740

Trev
AnswerID: 496267

Follow Up By: Mick H - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 20:23

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 20:23
Thanx RA i'll certainly hit them up I cant believe it didnt come up in my searches..

Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 772008

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 17:33

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 17:33
The ranger or Mazda is a good tow vehicle. Witht the 3.2 5cylinder delivering good torque and combined with an auto it is the best for towing rather than manual.
Be aware that Mazda and most probably Ford don't keep sufficient spares for this vehicle and many have had problems but there are usually no parts immediately available to repair it with.
Common problems are. Loose incorrectly fitted crank angle sensors on both makes which stop the vehicle with dealer blaming/claiming all sorts of things. 3 vehicles reported so far.

If you are outback NO service is available unless YOU have it transported to a dealer at your cost. Only the repair is warranted if they do warrant it an don't try to avoid the responsibility.

Auto gear selection linkage has dropped off both makes and rendered them undriveable. I know of three.
Poor assembly again.

One reported vehicle had esc controller fail and it applied the brakes full on ABS and this can be dangerous. 1 vehicle

Poorly fitted bull bars and tow bars. Loose bolts , bolts missing, in wrong places. Lots of these.

Auto trans hesitates and shifts poorly on low gears on some vehicles. Many of these.

It is sad a good vehicle such as this can be a cause of concern is some instances with nearly all the faults/issues being the fault of the company or it's representatives.

4wdaction has BT50 section which you have to find once in old BT50 section by choosing at the top. Some surprising reading there.

Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 496269

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 19:44

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 19:44
I think what he asked was an answer from those that have one of these vehicles and have towed the rated load.

It is like you answered to a post of mine about how the vehicle would last in a mine environment and you said that didn't count. Well it does and that is when you find out all the on going problems.

i can find enough problems googling to put people off even using a walking frame.

FollowupID: 771951

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 20:20

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 20:20
Well I think it is a good answer Ross, but you forgot one other major problem is the turbo lag, that and a few you said was good enough reasons I did not buy one.
And for towing 3.1 tonne with any of the new utes, no unless your just putting it down the boat ramp.
FollowupID: 771955

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 21:13

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 21:13
I believe all prospective people should be aware of the known problems, potential problems and dealer wrangling issues for any make of vehicle.
The when they decide to purchase brand X for whatever reason they should do it with their eyes open, no head in the sand because with your head in the sand it look like all sand, and no particular item/problem/feature can be identified, although it might concern you in the future.

Many people ask questions and haven't found much info relating to their prospective purchase. All mechanical and electrical gear has some problems, even Mil Spec quality. These vehicles are largely mechanical and electronic.

I also agree with Isuzumu, although they might tow/move an army tank doesn't mean they are really suited to tow more than around 1/2 to 2/3 their "company rated tow weight" in most situations. Many have and are finding this to be true.

Just shunting a boat to the ramp sometimes, yeah, OK.

Well, I'm off to google "walking frame problems", I want to be prepared for the future. The right knee's a bit sore today.
FollowupID: 771956

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 06:48

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 06:48
Turbo lag.... our 200 series has more turbo lag then our Ranger.

The Ranger is a 4x4 ute not a race car!

As for turbo lag... can not really notice it and it is no worse than any other turbo diesel.

I am sure some of these pen jockys just right stuff for the hell of it.

And for someone not buying it for the supposed turbo lag, they need a life.

But apart from that the Ranger is a fantastic vehicle for long distance traveling.

It makes me laugh by people relaying comments they find searching the internet.... and turn it into a big deal. Every vehicle ever made has some issue.

The internet is a great breeding ground for rubbish and as you have said Ross by talking about one or two vehicles that have had this problem..... how can that represent the true number built that don't have a problem.... a few isn't bad for the thousands built.
FollowupID: 771961

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 06:51

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 06:51
If you look at my first post you will see a link to owners that do put up all the problems that are associated with the vehicle and they are actual users that have towed with them. They own and drive them so their posts are first hand.

As for the head in the sand and people should be aware of problems.
When I posted that I was going to report on the same vehicle in mining so people would see the problems when they are subjected to high usage rates. Seeing these vehicles run 24 hours a day in bad conditions always in 4wd.

Your answer to that post was just plain negative saying those results don't count because of the harsh conditions. Well yes they do count as all the problems show up early instead of years down the track.

And thanks for informing me a that these vehicles are mechanical and electrical.

Google memory is fading while you are looking for at walking frames.

FollowupID: 771962

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 10:29

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 10:29
I don't agree with your comments Rock Ape. These are forums and Ross can post his findings just like you did with regards to Toyota's so called failings in the mines. Personally what happens in the mines doesn't mean too much given the vehicles are abused according to you. It is important we all get to hear about how some of the newer vehicles are going in terms of reliability and cost of ownership. Fairs Fair..! Thanks for the feebackl Ross.
FollowupID: 771965

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:07

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:07
TerraFirma,
yes! you are correct that people and should post what is revelant. I just pointed out that it wasn't what the OP asked for.

What the OP asked for was people who use these vehicles answer the question. What he got was an opinion and faults from someone who doesn't own or tow with one.

Mining, heavy construction, exploration, properties all find out the problems fairly quickly and they no it is not just a one or two vehicle fault but faults that are common to the fleet.

You will notice that I don't mention brakes or suspension as these are just an expendable item in mining. If you keep any of these vehicles for a long time these faults will show up.

You will notice in my posts that I have said the drivetrain in the V8 cruiser utes is excellent as there have been only a couple of utes that have had a fault. I don't then go and say the boxes and diffs and clutches are crap because of one or two having a problem.

You will also notice I don't post anything about Narava's or Hiluxes as we don't have enough of these at work to draw any conclusion on their long term longativity. Also these two makes only do really light work.

Read olcoolones answer as he owns and uses one for accurate information.

I gave the OP a link to a site that should have the info he requires. Now has anyone towed around 3 tonne all day with the Ranger that was mentioned.

RA.
FollowupID: 771966

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:22

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:22
Quote : Isuzumu posted:
Well I think it is a good answer Ross, but you forgot one other major problem is the turbo lag, that and a few you said was good enough reasons I did not buy one.
And for towing 3.1 tonne with any of the new utes, no unless your just putting it down the boat ramp.

Rockape, Olcoolone doesn't answer the question about towing either, he simply puts everything into a nice perspective and I agree with him. Isuzumu doesn't think towing 3.1 Tonnes is a good idea. I personally agree with Isuzumu and wouldn't tow 3.1 tonnes with any of these utes, I would want a bigger vehicle such as a Cruiser or something of a similar nature.

More seriously I believe the whole rated towing specification from manufacturers needs investigation. Mick I wouldn't use a ute to tow 3.1 tonnes personally and perhaps more importantly what sort of trailer carries the 3.1 tonnes, what sort of braking and suspension does it have. What have you used to tow it in the past?
FollowupID: 771970

Follow Up By: Mick H - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 20:33

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 20:33
Thanx guys i appreciate all the Feedback and the ins and outs.

I would love to be towing around the boat with a 200 cruiser but i might as well stick with the Ti Patrol ive got now ! But im starting up a new business ( sparky ) and i was trying to kill two birds with one stone ie Family/boat pulling car and Work car and i think the Ranger is the only one that ticks the boxes BUT im still really unsure of the towing capacity or GUTs of the Ranger to do the job ????
in an ideal world id find someone in Perth with a bloody tow hitch offer em a carton of piss of their choice and hook me boat up and go for a spin But that is ALOT harder than you think !!!!!!!!

OK so Can anyone tell me about the VGM of the Ranger Am i still going to be insured towing a 3t boat ?? as mentioned above they claim to be capable of towing 3.4 from memory but is that restricted ??

Thanks for all the help in advance

Cheers Mick
mickh@wadivers.com.au
FollowupID: 772009

Reply By: tdv - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:10

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:10
I have had one (XLT auto) for the past 6 months and have now covered over 15,000km's trouble free. Most of that is towing a 1.25t boat both on the highway and offroad as a work/commercial vehicle. Sure that isn't 3 tonne but it does it with absolute ease. There doesn't appear to be any turbo lag for me, though there is a slight gearbox hesitation if you try to jump out into traffic from a standing start which has been fixed with a software update.

It is comfortable and economical with plenty of room. I would happily tow a big boat with it.

Hope that helps.
AnswerID: 496284

Follow Up By: Mick H - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 20:23

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 20:23
Wicked thanx for the reply, i dont have to go far 95% of the time with the boat im lucky to live no more 10 mins drive from 3 different boat ramps But once a year we drive North 400+ kms and atleast 10 times a year into the city for a river cruise 35kms from home..

how do ya find it on fuel whilst towing mate ? and do ya find she still cruises at the top end quite nicley 100-110 kmh ??

Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 772007

Follow Up By: tdv - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 09:10

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 09:10
I just returned from a 3000km round trip on the highway from FNQ to Gladstone and back. We had 500kg in the tray, 4 in the cab and the boat behind on an offroad trailer weighing 1.25t. It happily chugs away in 6th gear and rarely needs to kick down on inclines. On a range or steeper hills I just flick across to sport mode and it holds the gears a little longer. Overtaking was a breeze. I always sit on 100-110km/hr and the fuel economy was within 12-13/100 for this trip. Without a load it is in the low 9/100 which is brilliant given the size and power.

As to the towbar...it is massive which becomes a problem offroad as it hangs quite low. I think Hayman Reese have now got an aftermarket design that improves the departure angles.

If the local dealer wants a sale surely he will let you test tow around the block a few times????
FollowupID: 772044

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 21:22

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 21:22
Don't the Rangers have a recall on them about the towbars?

Bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496326

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 22:45

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 22:45
Bbuzz
I have seen reports of Ford towbar issues and having to be replaced.
It seems the vehicle can tow the weight, so to speak but the towbar is suspect for some reason.
FollowupID: 772027

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 06:27

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 06:27
Bbuzz,
that recall is for and earlier model Ranger.

RA.
FollowupID: 772035

Reply By: shylok - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 14:46

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 14:46
Hello Mick
I have the ranger and just completed 10000 klm trip to Mt Isa, Karumba Atherton, Cairns and back down to Echuca, towing a 2800kg van and approx 500kg in the back of the tug and did not have a problem towing.
We mainly had head winds and up and down mountains and it had no trouble pulling the van
Got 15.5l/100klms and very happy with the economy, and the misses said it was more comfortable than the prado
Very happy
Ken
AnswerID: 496358

Follow Up By: Mick H - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 15:34

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 15:34
Ken Wicked thanx heaps for the reply mate. Is your just a stock standard XLT or have you done some mods to the suspension and Tyres ? And I'm presuming your van is double axle ?

Mick
FollowupID: 772054

Reply By: shylok - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 18:58

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 18:58
Mick
Yes the van is standard,but the van is 340kg on the ball and it dropped the back down about 40mm and raised the front, so I am looking at what can be done
ARB suggested airbags but on the forums it is saying stay away from them as they put to much stress on the chassis and may break it
Am looking at ways to lower the ball weight
Ken
AnswerID: 496371

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 20:37

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 20:37
Ken,
I also would never use air bags unless you custom build a receiver that follows the chassis. The chassis of any vehicle was never designed to take load on that point.

As for the towing ability. The new vehicle is rated to 3350kg and this is worked out over many thousands of klm's. Watch this space as I believe the max maybe lifted to 3500kg.

For the dis believers I have a troopcarrier that can only tow 2500kg. The only difference between mine and the 3500kg model is I had less horespower but it had a weak gearbox.

RA.
FollowupID: 772072

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 06:02

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 06:02
shylok,
sorry I accidentally replied to your post. To many cool drinks last night may have been the cause.

Also the reply should have read. My Troopcarrier had less horsepower but the next model that was rated at 3500kg towing had a much weaker gearbox.

RA.
FollowupID: 772085

Reply By: Member - alandale - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 19:04

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 19:04
Hi Mick,
I own a 2009 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, I have towed all around Australia with several different vans following, but when you say the boat is 3.1 tonn possibly without fishing gear, fuel etc, and your limit is 3.2 tonn, I would say you are expecting too much. You are going to be at your limit. Good vehicle but!
Alan
AnswerID: 496372

Follow Up By: Mick H - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 20:46

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 20:46
Cheers Al appreciate ya feed back and comments. The boats 2.8 with full fuel tanks, so i wouldnt imagine 400kgs of gear on deck im thinking more 100-200 perhaps.

Everyone is of the same opinon that im expecting to much but Surley am i being unreasonable if Ford claims to pull 3.2 am i not with in that Limit ??? the trailer has a full braking system ( Sensor Brake Unit )

Please keep the comments coming

Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 772074

Follow Up By: tdv - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 09:57

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 09:57
alandale, I think Mick H is referring to the latest Ranger which is s totally new beast. Different chassis, engine, body...the works. It is rated at 3,350kg towing capacity.

Cheers
FollowupID: 772088

Follow Up By: Mick H - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:17

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:17
Yeap was Definetly referring to the new 2012 XLT Ranger.
But if ya 09 version pulls ya 3t the me new one should be doing it either ease :D
FollowupID: 772090

Follow Up By: Member - alandale - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:03

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:03
Look guys I was not referring to the 2009 model for comparison, all I was saying is the weight is getting up to the top limit. Safety first.
FollowupID: 772094

Reply By: Member -Carl R (QLD) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 22:34

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 22:34
I have just towed our caravan from Brisbane to Darwin via Airlie beach, the van was around 2.2 ton. The BT 50 GT auto was excellent and handled all conditions with no trouble at all.At approx 95kph it returned 15lt per 100km .The BT50 has approx 16000km on the clock and I have had no problems at all.The BT 50 has a ARB bull bar and warn winch as well as a ARB canopy fitted.Best thing I ever did
AnswerID: 496420

Reply By: coonick - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:38

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:38
Hiya ...I have the 2012 XLT ranger and manual, and what an awesome car it is.
Yes I do tow a boat with it when loaded up with all our gear which would add up to roughly 1800kgs. which does not include gear in car. I have found NO issues at all when towing.
This turbo lag crap seems to have gone viral on the net as all I seem to read is it being a problem. I DO NOT notice anything of the sort. Nothing that would cause me not to buy such a car.
as already stated NO TURBO DIESEL CAR IS IMMUNE TO THIS PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!
However it does not draw any issues with my vehicle and certainly isnt a danger when needing to sink the boot in.
Where do people get this garbage from. Obviously dont know how to drive a car correctly !!!!!!!
As for the original question and answer it is a sweet tow vehicle.
Last week I went to the 4wd show in adelaide and they had ALL the new utes in the same room, so we had a good look at each inside and out. Pity I could not compare them all in offroad and onroad driving conditions. BUT !!!!!!
I am soooooooooo glad I have what I have.
AnswerID: 496538

Follow Up By: coonick - Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:42

Friday, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:42
I forgot to add that over taking is a breeze when required with trailer on the back, however I find no need to speed past other cars at 140kmh, I tend to cruise along at 100 - 110kmh, more than adequate.
I will leave the unneccassary speeding whilst towing to the morons.
FollowupID: 772233

Sponsored Links