Laptop in-car base

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 22:08
ThreadID: 9842 Views:1748 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Where in the Datto G60 to put the laptop? There is not much space left inside the the old truck, what with a GPS bracket and UHF radio and a sissybar and numerous wires and switches running everywhere. Luckily it is all tin and drill-able.

I found amongst my accumulation of stuff in the shed an old tin mailbox with a lift up lid. I tek screwed this to the panel between the seats. I bolted a Satellite dish wall bracket to the lid and a 12mm MDF offcut the same size as the laptop to the top side. The laptop is attached by straps. The laptop monitor faces towards me but I have to lay it down to change gears so I can only really look at the screen when the vehicle is stationary or if a am cruising on the open road.( Yeah, I know...don't take your eyes off the road). The system works OK but I will have to strengthen the mailbox with a plate of gavalinised something and a couple of brackets from the hardware store. Not a bad invention at nil cost and I can even rest my arm on the laptop. My other arm is hangin' out the window with me fingers on the steering wheel. Nah, I don't have a foxtail on the aerial.....

Cheers,

Willem

Always going somewhere
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 22:37

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 22:37
Now Willem, it's gunna be pretty hard to watch the DVD's while your driving. I hope that you've got a pretty good collection of DVD's as our kids will be in for a swap when they meet you. They were all sitting watching Robbie Williams at Knebworth DVD today and loved it - just so you know the sort of stuff to buy........ (Now I hope that you mounted it to watch DVD's)
Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing" Where are all da Jen's?
AnswerID: 43463

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 22:49

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 22:49
My DVD player's sound is very poor......don't think your youngsters will be interested in our boring movies. Funny, we owned a cinema and later a video outlet a long while ago but these days I seldom go to the movies and may watch a DVD once every couple of months. Don't watch much TV either. Too busy with projects.

Didn't know you were based in Melbourne. Might drop in for a cuppa one day as we seem to do endless trips down your way.

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 305755

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 06:46

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 06:46
We find that when we are doing long distances, after about an hours travel our 3,5 &10 year old start to get restless and that if we put on a DVD they will go quiet for a couple of hours. After that we are ready for a kick of the footy or throw of the frisbee. Our sound was not great but found an old set of computer speakers at work and they sit under the front seats and plug into the inverter and the laptop and the sound is great - but I can't listen to the radio!

If you are in Melbourne - give us a hoy and we would love to meet up for a cuppa.

Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing" Where are all da Jen's?
FollowupID: 305762

Follow Up By: Outnabout David (SA) - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 16:34

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 16:34
Sounds like a good old bit of Aussie ingenuity at work there Willem but really Willem its a bit much to ask the postie to chase after you to put your letters in the mailbox.!We have so little time to enjoy our land
FollowupID: 305794

Reply By: Member - Eric- Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:57

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:57
Hi Willem .Ill post some picks of my new system using a single ram bracket , worked a treat all the way to Coast and back , kids watcked movies the whole way , even wired some head phones to keep me sane lol . I can move the lap top to many positions , with ease , also dosnt move over hard bumbs

cheers EricVenus Bay
AnswerID: 43582

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:45

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:45
Thanks Eric...always interested in new ideas...if you like, can forward the pics to my email address please?

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 305829

Sponsored Links