Permits

I need some help with regards to the permits you require to visit desert areas. We are not good at stick to planned routes and just wing it. I would like to know can you get a pass for the whole state or territory you visit and if so does this include camping fees and where do u apply.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 18:15

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 18:15
Hi katz

If you click on the link that has come up within your post, this site has a lot about permits. Permits are specific to the source, eg SA desert parks pass, Aboriginal lands transit permit. No, they do not include camping, unless free camping is authorised as it is on a number of remote routes.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 496272

Reply By: equinox - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 18:51

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 18:51
Different states and territories have different rules Katz.

You will probably have to be more specific in your query.

I'm reasonably up to speed with the ever evolving system in WA, and currently you cannot get a single pass/permit/verbal for everywhere (not even if you're indigenous)

In WA I would contact the Dept. of Indigenous affairs in Perth for info on 90% of the areas that most people would visit.

Regards

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496273

Follow Up By: katz78 - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 19:47

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 19:47
We are looking at the Gunbarrel Highway, Tanami Track, Carnegie and the Canning Stock Route and anywhere in between that is worth visiting in WA.
FollowupID: 771952

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 20:16

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 20:16
Please check provided details yourself - I take no responsibility etc..

For Gunbarrel Highway:

From Victory Downs via Mulga Park to the border of SA no permit is required.

All of the South Australian section (Pitjantjatjara Land) requires permisssion which is not easily gained. See HERE for details and phone numbers.

The section from the border of SA and WA to the Heather Highway turnoff requires a permit. See HERE for applying online and for queries on contacting DIA for the area near the border.

From the Heather Highway to Carnegie no permit is required.

For Canning Stock Route:

Technically no permit is required for the Canning Stock Route as it has been excluded from all the native title determinations that it passes through. I will let you decide whether this means the 5 mile easement or the track itself. However traveling to adjacent areas will require a permit.
The Australia Four Wheel Drive Council (for whatever reason??) issues the permits HERE

For Tanami Track:

No permits are required. See HERE

Carnegie is the homestead at the end of the Gunbarrel Highway, no permit is required.

Hope this all helps.

Regards

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 771954

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:05

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:05
What this information helpful to you Katz?

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 772301

Reply By: cookie1 - Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 20:07

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012 at 20:07
Hi Katz,

Canning Stock Route is handled by Australian National Four Wheel Drive Network http://www.anfwdc.asn.au/
costs $100.00 - well worth it given the amount of information you get and there are some really good facilities there now - for where it is.

We came back down the Tanami Road and as far as I know you don't need a permit as I believe it is a gazetted road

Cheers

Colin
AnswerID: 496276

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 16:01

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 16:01
Katz78 I think there have been some changes and local communities are to be more involved with the issue of CSR permits. Have a look at this thread about changes.
changes
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 496306

Sponsored Links