Toyota automatic 1985 Hiace camper.

Submitted: Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 17:11
ThreadID: 98432 Views:2375 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I recently had the steering column changed on my Toyota Hiace,1985.
Unfortunately when I collected the vehicle the auto column shift gear shift indicator was missing. Yes, should have spoken up at the time but was worried I would be thought of as a whinger.

I have rung around wreckers throughout Australia and unable to track down an auto transmission [column] gear shift indicator. I have been told without the indicator I will be unable to get a road worthy for my camper. The camper only has 150,000 kms and is in excellent condition with a tracker fit out. It is also a pain trying to guess what gear I am in.

I am not mechanical at all as I am female but could something be fabricated to fix this problem, I live in Brisbane.
Thanks.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IronMan - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 18:22

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 18:22
Someone changed something on your vehicle, replacing it with something else that is not the same, and is blatantly obvious to be not the same? Don't be afraid to be a whinger, go back to the mechanic and tell him to bloody well fix it!
AnswerID: 496314

Follow Up By: Native - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 18:46

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 18:46
Thanks for your reply.

A mechanic now tells me it may only be the bulb lost, causing the result not to see the gear I am in, such as park, reverse etc,. Although I remember seeing a needle type gauge not a light.
Sorry but I am confused.
FollowupID: 771999

Follow Up By: Native - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 17:38

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 17:38
Thanks for your replies, very much.
Another mechanic looked at it and found the problem a crimped wire and missing bulb. I am soooooo relieved and have learnt a listen it is okay to query repairs to your vehicle. The camper van would not have been obtained a roadworthy without this fixed.
How the first mwchanic did not pick this up as he told me he road tested the vehicle is a concern and I bet I would had to pay the additional labour charges to remedy the problem. To all you honest, skilled mechanics and I found one today, thanks soooo much.
FollowupID: 772059

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 20:56

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 20:56
Hi , go back again and get him to put a globe in it or whatever is missing , it should be in working condition when you picked it up, not half a job .
AnswerID: 496323

Sponsored Links