jayco campervan sizes appear to differe between old and new?

Submitted: Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 21:38
ThreadID: 98436 Views:2640 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
After much deliberation we have decided on a jayco hawk (or perhaps a flamingo) for our adventures (with small tents for the bigger boys)....We won't be ready to purchase for a couple of months but have started to get an idea of 2nd hand prices Vs new and are currently sitting on the fence in regards to that decision (might depend ultimately on how much the house gets when it sells). But in so doing we noticed that the dimensions given for jayco hawks and flamingos were considerably shorter than those given in the specs for current models....bit hard to compare old/new if they are completely different (we are talking like 4' shorter)! is it in the way its measured? theres too many saying the same thing for it to be just one person mismeasuring.

current specs say a hawk is 16'7" travel length and a flamingo is 17'7"

anyone got an older jayco who can help? I'm sure I'm missing something.

Jude
p.s. will likely be towing with a kia carnival (it appears to be only van on the market capable of towing more than 1500kg)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - willawa - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 22:45

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 22:45
Hi Jude& the boys
I hope you're going to buy a piece of dirt somewhere for that day, when it comes, to sell the Jayco and you need some place to live?

AnswerID: 496332

Follow Up By: Jude&theboys - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 05:51

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 05:51
We have a home, never fear. We moved in with my man and had to get rid of a lot of things we had two off. Having decided to sell my house the next decision was what to do with the money. It's not a flash house so won't be loads of it but should be enuf to pay off everything, put some in the bank for safe keeping and buy the bigger car as there are 6 of us now (4 boys aged 7,9,11 & 11) and the jayco for weekend and sometimes longer holidays. Because our kids go to their other parents the same weekend we will have a chance to go just the two of us sometimes too. That was partly why the jayco won o dr the tent trailer
FollowupID: 772034

Follow Up By: Member - willawa - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 07:49

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 07:49
Fair enough, I have seen a few who have sold up everything and then got stuck with no where to go.

Good luck with your travels I'am sure you'll have heaps of fun.
FollowupID: 772037

Reply By: Grinner - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 09:42

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 09:42
A few years ago Jayco changed the design of the front boot on the campers, to a new style moulded fiberglass vs the standard type of caravan boot. Maybe this might explain the longer travel length

We had a look at the new campers at the Sandown show on the weekend, and the current interior layouts look 95% the same as our 2005 Eagle when we had it.

Jason
AnswerID: 496386

Follow Up By: Jude&theboys - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:24

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:24
thanks Jason, I actually rang our local jayco dealer and asked and he said that they usually quote inside measurement so that could be why (no internal measurement in current brochure). He also confirmed that there have only been minor changes so an old hawk would be very similar to a new hawk just without the improvements that have been made along the way. Now just for that dreaded word .....WAIT.....to see how the house sale goes so we know how much we have to spend before we can get organised. Am planning to book into a tow ed course too as I'm pretty bad at reversing with a trailer (getting better) figure if we are spending $20K on it whats another $5-600 to learn to tow it properly.
Jude
FollowupID: 772091

Sponsored Links