2010 jayco wooden panelling marks

Submitted: Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 23:02
ThreadID: 98440 Views:3633 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys just picked up are near new jayco 24.75-1 4 berth.

I was gluing some trim near the bunks and taped down the trim while the glue was drying. To my horror as I removed the tape, some how it removed / tore away the finish.

I can't believe it happened there is like a thin paper based layer on top of the timber. Can this be repaired ?

Or patched up so its not so noticeable.

Regards Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 09:43

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 09:43
Hi Matt,
I have the 23 footer Jayco. The finish is a paper veneer over plywood.

Whe doing repairs make sure you peel any masking or temp fixing tape towards the cut edge and not away from it as that probably is how the tear occured.

I do not know of any repair method except to use a lot of patience and try and replace the piece you tore off as neatly as possible. Of course it will always be obvious to you but others will be struggling to find it if you can get it done well.

Is it on a removable panel Perhaps the whole thing can be replaced.

A good artist may be able to reconstruct the colours on the exposed section.

Outside of this I cannot help you. Sorry.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496345

Reply By: Grizzle - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 12:24

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 12:24
Jayco have spare panels, not sure of cost but they can match pretty well. Did the same on mine!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496352

Reply By: hazo - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 13:41

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 13:41
My biggest criticism of Jayco (I've had two) is they persist in using this cheap paper covered lining ! when far better wipe down or washable products have been available for years.

When any leak or damage occurs the staining is normally irreparable without a total reline.

Having said that in my second jayco I did disguise it a little with the use of my daughters felt tip pens !

Really bugs me when I read about how wonderful jayco supposedly are yet they cannot get this simple thing addressed.
AnswerID: 496355

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 19:25

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 19:25
It isn't just the Jayco that has the type of wall you are talking about. We have a Kedron which has the same finish. Recently it developed a leak from who knows where at the moment, anyway the water ran down the wall under the window and I attempted to mop it as it came down only to realize that I was actually damaging the wall! I didn't even rub it only held a cloth to absorb the flow and the paper came away on the cloth. Fortunately once it dried it doesn't look super obvious but definately disappointing. I am hoping my husband will one day decided to replace the interior panelling with the same finish our old Coromal had - a white vinyl which seemed very hard wearing.
AnswerID: 496375

Follow Up By: Member - Matt O3 - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 20:54

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 20:54
Not good enough considering what these vans cost. One would think every now and then leaks will occur or things will get spilled. I do not want to be replacing entire panels everytime we mark one.
FollowupID: 772075

Sponsored Links