OTT in June

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 20:06
ThreadID: 98453 Views:2140 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning on a trip up Cape York in June next year, taking the OTT up and the PDR back - just our 1999 Mitsubishi Challenger and the camping gear, we won't be towing at all.
I'm just wondering what the OTT is generally like at that time of year. We don't have a snorkel and while I don't mind a bit of a challenge I'm not looking for anything too hardcore. I've heard a fair bit about Nolans in particular - is it likely to cause us issues?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 20:31

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 20:31
In a word YES.
There are several creeks particularly on the Northern OTT that would require fording depth of say 700MM, because of a 180turn on one, steep angle on another.

On the day that I turned back at Nolans 4 200 series Landcruiser WITH snorkels were lost in Nolans.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 496376

Follow Up By: tommo05 - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 22:16

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 22:16
Cheers for the advice Philip. Reckon I might just have a good look at each crossing and opt for the bypasses if I'm not confident. Clearly Nolans is a no go!
You reckon doing it in June is a bit stupid without a snorkel? I don't mind much if there's 3 or 4 crossings I can't do, but if it's really going to be a hindrance then maybe I need to either get a snorkel or go later in the year.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 772079

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 23:39

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 23:39
Hi tommo

I am making plans to take our caravan to Cairns or wherever is practical and attempting a trip to Cape York next year around about that time or maybe a bit later. I don't have a snorkel ATM but will certainly be fitting one to our Cruiser. From what my research has shown is that if you come to a water crossing and you are not sure how to tackle it, or even if you should, park up for a while and watch what others do. It appears that many have done this trip on numerous occasions and have good local knowledge. Parking up for a while also has the benefit of allowing your diffs and gearbox/transfer case to cool before dunking them in the cool water. I am also extending the breathers for these components up a lot higher.

Pop
FollowupID: 772084

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:15

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:15
Tommo

I do not recall many crossings having a bypass or an easier way across. Maybe just Gunshot. So you may have to go all the way back and switch to the PDR and totally bypass the rest of the that part of the ott.

The OTT is basically broken up into a northern section and a southern section. So you do not have two many choices if you come across a crossing that you do not want to attempt.

Phil
FollowupID: 772089

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:07

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:07
Tommo,

Re fitting a snorkel. I was a bit reluctant to fit one to the 80 series we used to have, because living down the Diamantina River from Winton, the floodwater had usually gone away by the time the roads had dried out.

Then one night, we were coming home, and my wife was driving across a cement causeway, with very little water over it. Certainly didn't appear to be more than 300mm. I had already crossed over ahead of her, and as she crossed through the deeper section, the water completely covered the headlights for a few seconds. Was surprised at this, as she wasn't "charging" into the crossing.

Ordered a snorkel the next day!!!

For what they are, and the grief they can avert, think they're good insurance.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 772092

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 09:22

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 09:22
Nolans was over a meter when we went through in 2010 in Late june. No worries with the snorkle and the thermocouple on the fan disengaged. That was the only one where a snorkle was needed. In a 100 series diesel no worries.

A bloke, standing in the middle and guiding us, was heard to say as my son "bubbled" past him, "Bloody diesels". Ha!! That made my day. I gather that he was driving a petrol or gas fuelled car.

No snorkle needed for the other crossings.

We also drove the OTT both on the way north and then on the return to the south.

Phil
AnswerID: 496385

Reply By: tommo05 - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 16:46

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 16:46
Thanks for the info guys. For what it's worth I reckon I'll just go out and get a snorkel to be sure. Anyone know a good place in Melbourne to get one fitted? (thinking I'd be better off starting a new thread with this question..)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496394

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 17:18

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 17:18
That's nearly a fridge/tyre/UHF radio type question Tommo. lol

Safari(ARB) are popular and the TJM ones seem okay, though look a little "agricultural" to me.

Better to get someone to install it.......cutting that LARGE hole into the mudguard of the pride & joy can be a bit daunting!!!

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 772108

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 18:23

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 18:23
A snorkel is a good idea as the rivers will be high in June,
Here is some footage I took in August this year.

Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 772114

Follow Up By: tommo05 - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 21:41

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2012 at 21:41
Haha yeah Bob you got me, it was a stupid question in hindsight. I really should have thought/researched a bit more before posting.
I agree with getting someone else to install the snorkel, I did a bit of a google on installation and while of course I could do it, I would definitely prefer the peace of mind of getting someone who's done it before to fit it!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 772123

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:18

Thursday, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:18
And if you get it done by a commercial mob then they would (should) have insurance to cover any stuff ups like cutting it in the wrong place and having to replace a mudguard.

Phil
FollowupID: 772140

Sponsored Links