Jayco outback in real tough country??

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 19:14
ThreadID: 98523 Views:74271 Replies:12 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All we are at the last point of a decision...so the big question is how does a jayco outback stand up to really tough work?? Tanami Gibb, Beadell etc. I have my own thoughts but need some feedback from u out there. I have two options: conqueror uev490 or a jayco at half the price....what say you???????
According to modern astronomers, space is finite..a very comforting thought particularly for people who can never remember where they left things

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 19:37

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 19:37
You'll kill the Jayco in that country. Simple as that.
AnswerID: 496622

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 19:57

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 19:57
i had an jayco outback swan and i would not do anymore than the od gravel track. I know that people have done those tracks you are talking about but what kind of speed and damage did they do. The dust would also be a major problem with the jayco.
those uev 490s are built for that kind of travel.
FollowupID: 772327

Follow Up By: toyotarules - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 18:30

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 18:30
You can have a 130 thousand dollar kedron bushtracker or a 60 thousand dollar Jayco it comes down to how you tow it if you tow it at speed it doesn't matter what you got it will brake you here more about the big dollar vans braking then you do the cheaper ones I my self have a 25 foot outback Jayco and were are heading around Australia with it now and so far we've had no trables with it
FollowupID: 772447

Reply By: Member - kym111 - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 20:08

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 20:08
I always go by the saying "you get what you pay for"!

I personally wouldn't take a Jayco over any of those tracks, but that's just my humble opinion. :-)
AnswerID: 496624

Follow Up By: takenbyaliens (QLD member) - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 20:55

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 20:55
Yes well my intent was always UEV490 but had to ask the question to satisfy the accountant!! Function and performance always more important than cost as it equals value for money etc...UEV490 here we come I would say!!
According to modern astronomers, space is finite..a very comforting thought particularly for people who can never remember where they left things

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 772334

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 20:59

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 20:59
See that Sunland or Kedron or Bushtracker are ideal.
FollowupID: 772336

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 20:57

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 20:57
We own one it works for us but wouldnt take it over that country.
AnswerID: 496628

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 21:02

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 21:02
Hi takenbyaliens

They are a good unit, but not realy meant for those type of tracks.

These pictures were taken on the Anne Beadell in 2010 and again in 2012.

Keep in for the better roads

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496629

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 22:53

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 22:53
G`day Stephen,
Another photo of the same camper, it had been abandoned about twelve days earlier, it was still fairly intact.
It must have belonged to a family with twin children as there was a twins pusher there also.

They had been traveling from West to East and had been advised not to proceed with the camper by the local Ilkurlka community people on, or about, the 29 th of July.
This photo was taken on the 9 th August 2010.

Scrubby
FollowupID: 772342

Follow Up By: Off-track - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 00:27

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 00:27
3 points to consider:

1. It looks like an onroad version, not an outback. There is a difference.
2. What actually failed?
3. People that spend big money on campers/caravans dont want to acknowledge that something half their price may have done the job.
FollowupID: 772349

Follow Up By: Grizzle - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:42

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:42
It'll buff out!!!

I have a Jayco Swan Outback. Would definitely NOT take one on the Anne Beadell. That road would shake the sh1t out of anything. It will do some fairly rugged tracks, possibly more than most people would believe. as always speed and tyre pressures are important. Also take a silicon gun, screws and spare rivets.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 772419

Reply By: EricnBeryl - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 22:56

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 22:56
G'Day all,

We towed a 17' Jayco Sterling Outback across the Oodnadatta Track and Gibb River Road in 2010. The van held up pretty well: the brake actuator cable separated on one wheel (an easy fix though), a couple of screws began to wind out of the awning and the microwave had to be taped shut to prevent it disgorging its contents on the floor. We drove very carefully, averaging about 50 kph because the corrugations were atrocious that year. Dust ingress was minimal because we taped up the vent on the lower part of the door.

This year we towed our new 21' Jayco Sterling across the Strzelecki Track, as well as into Lawn Hill National Park. It stood up to this pretty well, although some of the drawers rattled open on corrugations. I fixed this with a few additional screws in the drawer runners to stop them vibrating. Overall, no major dramas.

I want to make it clear that the Jayco OBs are definitely not a Bushtracker or Kedron or Sunland Patriot and cannot be treated as such. However, if you drive to the conditions, keep a close eye on the van and don't do anything dumb (like speed or tackle anything other than a gazetted road like the Gibb) you should be fine.

Would I recommend that you tow any van across the Gibb? Basically, no I wouldn't because if something goes wrong you are in the deepest possible doo doo. Rescue on the Gibb is a knee tremblingly expensive business. On the other hand, both the Oodnadatta and Strzelecki Tracks are eminently do-able so long as it doesn't rain.

So, the bottom line is that if you want to do all the iconic tracks and truly run wild and free in the bush you had better ante up a shipload of cash for a really strongly engineered van like a Bushtracker. However, if you want to do a few major tracks and are willing to take it easy while doing so, then the Jayco should do the job.

Regards,

Eric
AnswerID: 496633

Reply By: Wheretonext - Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 23:35

Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 23:35
Took our Eagle outback to Cape York in 2010 as far as Bramwell station but in hindsight could have taken all the way via bypass. Did the Gibb this year. Had to replace a shock after Cape York and door latch broke this year,that's it. Friend's did Gibb, Kalumburu & Tanami in ldentical camper. They are not as flimsy as many make you believe. We bought a 5 year old camper for $15k and have seen so much of Australia in comfort.
AnswerID: 496634

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 00:09

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 00:09
Hi Taken by Aliens

First of all, is it a caravan or a camper trailer type of Outback? On the Gibb River Road there were plenty of camper trailers - possibly hire trailers.

If it is anything bigger, while my personal choice would be don't take the risk as the cost of a breakdown when remote can be too great, the Gibb River Road depending on traffic damage since last graded may be doable. The Tanami is a very different road. The Tanami can damage any van and it is long and remote. The Anne Beadell is not one i would want to tow anything on.

On long corrugated roads, every corrugation is doing damage and sooner or later the effects will catch up with you - if not on the first trip on a later one and probably when somewhere else remote.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 496638

Reply By: geoffqld - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 08:33

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 08:33
We've taken our Outback Discovery dual axle with ensuite towed by a 4.2tdi Patrol ute down a lot of these roads with very little damage. The Tanami was worst where we broke a leaf spring on the ute. If memory serves me correctly Motherhen went down that within a week or 2 of us and had damage to their Bushtracker, it was very bad. She'll correct me if I'm wrong. The worst damage we have had, and have traveled at least 10000km of dirt is the ensuite door falls off regularly, just pop rivet it back on, no problem. Minor stuff like stone damage to the brake wiring, drain outlets but I did add extra protection underneath before doing any dirt. We looked at the upmarket offroaders but the price and weight put us off, we worked on the basis that I can fix most things and with a ute I can carry a lot of tools etc. We carry a spare spring set but as yet have not used it.
We're more than happy with it and we've had it over 5 years.
Geoff
AnswerID: 496648

Reply By: makemyday - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:09

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:09
Hi, This year we towed our 2008 Jayco eagle outback 16500 kms including the Gibb River Road plus Dampier Peninsula (Cape Leveque Road) with a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe without a problem with either. Not even a screw loose in the Jayco and with minimal dust intrusion. We sealed door vent and bottom fridge vent, let the tyres down to 25psi and drove to the conditions, often doing under 40km and never over 70km.
We used a Stone Stomper to protect the camper that was fantastic protecting the van and rear of car, but nothing can protect from vehicles driving too fast from the other direction .
Both car and camper had original tyres and not even a puncture in either. In my opinion its about driving slowly and enjoying the trip not about doing record amount of kms in a short time, and the roads do require the drivers full attention as road conditions continue to change at very frequent intervals.
cheers.
AnswerID: 496661

Reply By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 20:21

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 20:21
We have a Goldstream Crown off road ...2009 model. Much the same as the Jayco but better built IMO. Before it was even 2 weeks old it had been on the Oodnadatta track....around the Flinders and into Arkaroola...and then on the return the short way to Broken Hill. Absolutely no damage as such...except for the paint sand-blasted off the undercarrige ...necessitating a repaint after we got home....no biggy really. Let tyres down to 22 psi on camper 26/28 on fourby (1997 Patrol) and drove acordingly with no issues to inside or outside of camper ...except as above. IMO...for what its worth...I would most probably not do any of the harder core tracks this great country has to offer (Canning, Anne Beadel etc etc...) but would have no hesitation in doing Cape York ...or some of the more formed tracks in the high country during summer...or even the Gibb (but VERY slowly and carefully). Batter to base camp with it and use a tent .....or buy a rooftopper and go without trailer for the harder ones IMO.
HTH.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496682

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 20:40

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 20:40
Hi alien returnees. Assuming you are back here on Earth.A couple of points. I was unfamiliar wuth the uev490 so hit google images and here's the link to an Ex oz blog with a pic of one flipped over!!!
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/235961/7/2011/Please_help_camper_trailer_needed_due_to_ours_over_turning.aspx
You mention the GRR -- a road, the Tanami - a track and the ABH a highway LOL. We have been on the Gibb twice with Jayco's - a Swan and a Dove outback. Remember the 2880 rule - tyres at 28psi and don't go over 80 and being the dirt road that it is you should be fine. The Tanami was once a track but is it yet up to GRR standard? It would be interesting for others to compare the two.
As for the Anne Beadell it's an absolute corrugated shocker which among other things destroyed my tailgate latch. It's no highway, that's for sure..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 496684

Reply By: Member - Tom V (WA) - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 19:43

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 19:43
Hi, we completed the Gibb in august this year in our 2010 Jayco outback expanda.
let the tyres down, travelled @ a reasonable speed & did not have a problem with the build.
bear in mind I had already altered & reinforced the sliding drawer, sliders where they attach to the far end of the van body, made of plastic & continuously broke. altered the fridge door clip.

had a slight electrical problem, but that was caused by faulty install. this was fixed by a sparkie that we met @charnley river station.

other than that, was a great trip & please with the jayco performance.
worst road was one one into silent grove, but keep the speed down @ one stage down to 5KPH. & made it in there & out again.

try, expandaownersaustralia blog site

good luck
cheers Tom
AnswerID: 496729

Sponsored Links