Duel Battery setup

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 20:16
ThreadID: 98533 Views:1659 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Sorry if this has been discussed before, what duel battery set up is best, 100amp or bigger and which brand? Any help appreciated.
Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 20:47

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 20:47
Geoff, bit more info is required, for what is it to be used, how charged, where mounted etc etc.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496685

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 21:06

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 21:06
I presume you mean DUAL as in TWO batteries connected in parallel for charging.
DUEL is fighting between two.

It all depends on the proposed usage as to what size of batteries and charging requirements you will need. There are simple setups, quite reliable and there are more complicated arrangements. Many different components are available. Some are unnecessary and border on overkill. Some are basic and do the job.

A more detailed idea of the use will allow replies to be more suited to your needs.
Be aware, there are many different beliefs and the replies will vary.
Opinions will vary with experience and other factors.

Ross M
AnswerID: 496686

Follow Up By: Geoff K4 - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 21:33

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 21:33
Ok then Dual batteries. I have a D-max dual cab and want to put a second battery in the back for the Engel etc. So, second battery being charged after main engine battery is charged. An isolator between the two so the engine battery is just for starting the engine. Second battery will be deep cycle.
thanks
FollowupID: 772394

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 23:45

Sunday, Oct 14, 2012 at 23:45
Sorry Geoff I was having a lend of you a bit.
I have the same vehicle.
Firstly, because after a start the engine battery will be fully recharged after a very short time you can immediately have a heavy continuous relay connect to the aux battery.
If you have the fridge in the cab, with the seats out, you can feed power from the Aux in the tub into the cab through the fuel filler cable release grommet, LHS lower corner,

I have a 105 Full River AGM for the aux battery.
I use a heavy continuous relay which can be switched on after the engine has started or before if necessary to assist if main is failing.

I also use a manual battery isolator connected in parallel with the solenoid so both batteries can be connected all the time, so the solar on the roof can keep both topped up.
I use Welding cable from the the solenoid/batt isloator to the rear of the vehicle so it can also charge the van 120ah AGM via anderson plug.
The weld cable has a connection into the tub through the lhs oval grommet and to the 105ah in the tub box.

While charging I get 14.4v at the aux battery, it is well earthed to chassis.
Really good earths are used and the body/chassis and main batt negative all have extra earth cables fitted so hardly any voltage drop occurs in the whole circuit.
All works well, no fancy DC/DC anything.

The charge to the aux is selected by a system. either always connected when key is on and therefore connected when starting, or selectable so I initiate the hookup as required. Always disconnects when key is off. Custom switch system used there.

Hope this helps.
Ross m
FollowupID: 772401

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 13:23

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 13:23
Hi Geoff,

ABR Sidewinder, a business member here, has a very good unit on offer at the moment and for a good price as well. He can supply all your cable requirements as well if needed.

You could do a lot worse than using one of Derricks units. That is my recomendation.

Here is the link.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496715

Reply By: Geoff K4 - Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 17:01

Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 17:01
Thanks everybody for your help. A liitle confusing now as to what to do, use a commercial unit & wire in or buy the components and do myself. I have done other similar jobs on my vehicleslike wiring in brake contollers & driving lights etc.
Geoff
AnswerID: 496721

Sponsored Links