Burke Dev Road or Gulf Dev road.

Submitted: Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 13:15
ThreadID: 9854 Views:3000 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I intend travelling up and across the Gulf and around the top of NT mid year. My question is whether it's worth doing the Burke Dev Hwy? I'm told it can be very rough with nothing to see but I guess that's an individual opinion. I want to go to Kurumba and not sure about Kowanyama. Is Kowanyama worth a visit???

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 18:14

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 18:14
Gday Ray,we done the Burke Dev Road on our way down from Cape York in about July.We thought the scenery was magnificent,the road was like a highway (compared to the bypass road up the Cape) with only a few stretches of bulldust encountered.Our travelling speed was only ave.70-80kph.We didnt go to Kowanyama but was told by a fellow travellor who drove across from Musgrave on the Cape road then down the to Gulf Rd that it was well worth it ,beautiful scenery,good roads(just been graded) and made us envious that we didnt go that way.
AnswerID: 43538

Reply By: lizard - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 19:32

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 19:32
We towed an off rd camper trailer on the Burke Dev rd in July , was corrugated and bull dust holes in places - didn't go to Kowanyama , we tried the track out the back of Dunbar station via Koolata? station - mate got bogged in Mitchell river , so went back and down to Chillago .
Good campsites on Gilbert river - Van Rook station owners check on you - which is okay - nice bloke - have a good trip !!!
AnswerID: 43543

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:55

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:55
We went from Normanton/Kurumba along the Burke Dev Rd in September, No problems they were three road crews working between Dunbar and Highbury, a few patches of bull dust but nothing serious,

We turned north at Gamboola station ( take the track a couple of km's short of Gamboola as they have their river crossing closed) went up thru
Kings Junction, Pinnacles, New Dixie to join the Penninsular road 23 kms south of Musgrave. You will go by a working gold mine (can't remember the name) you drive straight through the middle of it, we stopped to look but was asked to stay on the track and not get out of the car due to the cynanide dams they use.

The track was pretty good and would have been no problems with an off road camping trailer. Just remember ther is no fuel between Kurumba and Chillagoe or Musgrave if you go up the shortcut we used.
FollowupID: 305848

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 23:37

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 23:37
Hi Ray,
We travelled the Burke Dev Rd without going to Kowanyama based on the wish to see Chillago (limestone caves) and to visit the FANTASTIC YOU CANT MISS IT Dorunda Station. This little known station is a pure Australian gem. The feature is a 25km long river that eventually runs out to the Gulf coast but at this point has no crocs. They encourage camping and fishing ... I even think hunting (very popular up that way with locals - for wild pigs). There is a small daily camping fee, but you get the pick of wonderful campsites right along the river - all campsites are spread approx. 1km apart. All campsites are river front with boat access. We camped for 7 days I think! There is a pub and some counter meals available back up the track if you need some company. The operators when we were there were hilarious. I thoroughly enjoyed absorbing this variance in the Australian way of life found in the stations that fringe the northern edge of the Savannah Way (Great Top Rd) and on the Burke Dev Rd.

In contrast, the Gulf Development Rd is the road more travelled - but its features are also interesting - the Gulflander Railway is a historic experience that you can enjoy on a real steam train that runs tours. And of course, the Undara Lava Tubes are the other main natural attraction of taking this route. I think the Undara is more specci than at Chillagoe, and touristy but Chillagoe is still very good and lesser known.

If its an adventure you're after, I'd go the Burke.ExplorOz
AnswerID: 43758

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:44

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:44
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, can't wait to head off.

Regards

Ray
AnswerID: 43777

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:44

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:44
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, can't wait to head off.

Regards

Ray
AnswerID: 43778

Follow Up By: Barry F - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:56

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:56
Is there an echo in here
FollowupID: 306027

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:57

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:57
Not sure what happened there.
AnswerID: 43780

Sponsored Links