Refit of 12HT and 5 speed Box

Submitted: Monday, Oct 15, 2012 at 22:55
ThreadID: 98554 Views:3576 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to fit a rebuilt 12ht which had an Auto box on it and I am converting to 5 speed manual box.
I would like to know if it is best to put the box on the motor while it's out of the car or after I put the engine is in the vehicle.
I am working under a carport and the only lifting is a engine hoist and a trolley jack.
I had to drop the auto box off the engine before in removed it as it would not clear the rails because of ground clearance.
any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
regards Trev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Ted (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:34

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:34
Hi Trevor

Have a look here,

Rebuild

AnswerID: 496786

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 22:20

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 22:20
Trevor,

If your talking 60 Series.
Here is link to a forum of dedicated 60's enthusiasts

60's Series

AnswerID: 496823

Reply By: Trevor C2 - Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 23:40

Tuesday, Oct 16, 2012 at 23:40
Hello and thanks for the info all interesting.
I have spoken to a couple of mechanics and it seems that to get the 5 speed box in on the motor I have to break the transfer off so I will lift the 60 series up on stands after the engine is in have the spline lined up on the clutch plate and wiggle the box and transfer in together while on a trolly jack and with a lot of help I hope all goes well.
unless there is a better idea.
cheers Trev
AnswerID: 496828

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 00:08

Wednesday, Oct 17, 2012 at 00:08
Trev,
I have done this by myself on my old 75 series with the 2h engine.

Made sure the clutch centre and spigot bearing were lined up well with a home turned piece of dowel as the lining up tool. Then I made sure the box and transfer sat well on the trolley jack. I can't remember but I would have made a timber steadying base on the trolley jack so everything was nice and stable, have even done the same installing a roadranger into a prime mover by myself. Steady, steady wins the race.

You will also have to be able to jack the back of the engine a bit to get the right angle and the same goes for the box. You may have to pack it some at the front to get the right mating angle.

Three of us used to pick the Tojo boxes and transfers up and put them in when a vehicle was on a hoist.

Great engine that 12HT.

RA.
FollowupID: 772543

Reply By: Great Scot - Friday, Oct 19, 2012 at 21:23

Friday, Oct 19, 2012 at 21:23
Hi Trevor C2,
I have done this conversion some time ago on my 60 series Sahara. Auto to 5 speed manual. It is not a complex job, however the rear does not fit up to the old points on the chassis rails. they are further forward. You will need to relocate them by welding them onto chassis.There are 2 options for the clutch master cylinder. Standard or power booster. I fitted the power booster. Well worth the effort but a bit of work to get it all fitted up
Personally I would drop the engine in then fit the gearbox and transfer case. It is easier if you use a trolley jack under the gearbox and a second trolley jack under the transfer. Worked a treat. The box is right sided heavy due to transfer.There a couple of bell housings that look very similar.The correct one keeps the gearbox aligned the other offsets the box by about 10/15 degrees to the right. Make the fitting of the front drive shaft impossible unless you pack out the about 10 mm.They both have the same engine bolt pattern. If you want I could take a couple of pictures of the setup so you can see what i mean about the crossmember.

Cheers

Ken
AnswerID: 496997

Reply By: Trevor C2 - Friday, Oct 19, 2012 at 22:10

Friday, Oct 19, 2012 at 22:10
Hi Ken
Thanks for the tips, yep I have fitted a boosted clutch but I need to put a bracket on one side of the clutch peddle Pivot bolt, if possible I would like some photos of that as well but defiantly on your offer of the cross member.
I had an 60 series with the 5 speed and a 2H in it so I got the box the clutch booster and the cross member out of that.
also I have to fit the second vacuum hose and a photo and some info on that would be very helpful.
I would just like to say I appreciate all the help.
cheers Trev
AnswerID: 496999

Sponsored Links