Battery Packs or Dual Battery Systems

Submitted: Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 14:44
ThreadID: 9856 Views:2494 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Which one gives the most "days" of power for a 40L fridge in NSW summer temperatures?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: StevenL - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 15:08

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 15:08
Hi,

See my reply to your earlier post where I detailed my setup with a power pack. To the best of my knowledge the power pack is 24 amp hours whereas most heavy duty deep cycle batteries are about 80 amp hours. The CF40 draws an avg of 1 amp hr in normal conditions (about 25deg and not in direct sunlight) so the deep cycle will obvoiusly last much longer. I just find the power pack more convenient and not as heavy.

StevenL
AnswerID: 43520

Follow Up By: Antares - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 15:27

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 15:27
Thanks heaps StevenL. You gave me the exact answers we need!!! You're right about the power pack - I think it'll suit most of the trips my parents do, especially over winter, but for us I think we'll go with the dual battery set up. Now that we've got the hours and we can weigh them up with the portability, weight, size etc - we know what we're looking at. Can't thank you enough!!!
FollowupID: 305787

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 15:28

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 15:28
I have both, as the power pack can be removed from the vehicle with the fridge if I am going away from the camp and leaving someone behind that may need the fridge , I also use the power pack for lighting around the camp fire as sometimes the 4x4 is some distance away to be running cords at night that someone will always trip over , so both have there uses99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 305789

Reply By: Antares - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 15:33

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 15:33
For sure - why not take both then I guess? Most important thing for us is the number of days we can use it for because we'll probably keep the fridge in the back of the car, regardless of camping or driving, but having both would be the ultimate. Thanks for the the reply.
AnswerID: 43524

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:18

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:18
Glad I could help. Enjoy the best of both worlds. The power pack I have also has Jumper Leads in case I (or someone else) can't get started. I am yet to try actually starting anything with it. We'll see.

Prado GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
FollowupID: 305812

Reply By: paul - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:43

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:43
will someone tell my why people buy power packs instead of another battery and a 12v female connector plug ? That it, why pay thrice more for a plastic container around a battery with a $4.95 female end than a thrice times capacity battery and connect a $4.95 plug ?
AnswerID: 43576

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:18

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:18
I do take your point. My Old Man has a CF50 fridge and got the basic power pack with it. It was his good feedback with the setup that prompted me to purchase mine. I was initially attracted by the packaging as I was using it in the boot of a sedan and the connections were easy. It is also convenient to move around in the camp.

A few months down the track his power pack is now wearing out after 18 months of fairly constant use. He tells me he is planning to just get a standard deep cell battery and use that (as you suggest).

Maybe after getting the Prado and getting set up better I will go for a proper battery set up and just use the power pack as backup (now that I have one anyway). I'll probably learn from what father does and my own experience but this forum sure does help. There is always a cheaper and better way to do things. You have to look past the easy retail $olution.

I have been very happy with the power pack so far but I may not buy another one.

Steven LPrado GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
FollowupID: 305826

Reply By: captnsnooze - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:38

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:38
Godoay Antares

I have had a battery pack and while I found it to be very convenient and sufficient to runa bit of lighting and the shower it is completely useless to run a fridge. I have a Bushman fridge it rates very well in a recent review as far as power consumption is concerned and the battery pack just would not cut the mustard.

I runa couple of 130 amp hour batteries, in hind sight I would have went for somethign abit smaller maybe 100 amp hour as the 130s are big but they fit in the trailer and with some leads are a great supply of power. I have a Hoinda genre\erator and run it a coupla hours every other day to charge the batteries...

Just another idea...
AnswerID: 43590

Reply By: ROLANDE - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 07:29

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 07:29
Hello to all,
Interesting reading, but I have a question. How do you charge the power pack on the road? Looked at a you-beaut system to charge duel batteries in the 4B and the battery in the camper, came to about $1200 fitted without batteries. Think the power packs are a good idea but note the cost/life span issues, and cost $250 compared to $1200.
AnswerID: 43624

Follow Up By: Time - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 07:48

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 07:48
I run a power pack with a "charger" connected to the standard battery, so long as I drive about an 1 to 2 hours a day there is always enough charge in the battery to run the fridge the rest of the day. Only flattened the battery once, that was over 2 days with no driving.

Why a power pack, all the reasons above about convenience and worked out a lot cheaper than having a dual battery installed.

Cheers

Buggerlux

FollowupID: 305855

Follow Up By: captnsnooze - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:03
I have enough battery power for 6 days I choose to camp and not have to drive around for a couple of hours a day. I have a Honda Generator which I run for a couple of hours a day over the bank so I cant hear it and charge my batteries with it. I also do not liek the idea of a dual battery system. I guess at the end of the day it sup to what suits you the best.
FollowupID: 305875

Follow Up By: ROLANDE - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 22:37

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 22:37
Thanks for the replies. I don't mind the idea of duel batteries but only for the 4B as a bit of security,and the saving of a lot of money! Trouble comes with the third battery in the camper which only runs lights etc for part of the night, and in future will run the motor for a shower, laptop etc. I guess my choices are: 1/ Run engine with power pack plugged in, or 2/ small generator to do same. What type of power pack do you run, is it home made or a shop job, amp hour output, type of battery, cost??
thanks
FollowupID: 305982

Sponsored Links