more sad news

Submitted: Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:29
ThreadID: 9866 Views:1385 Replies:12 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
i guess we have all heard about the sad and wastefull death tonight of one of my cricket herosDavid Hookes
rip.
once again you cant even go out and enjoy your self with some friends.
you reckon your cute
richard(eskimo)
but im a lot cuter

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Synergist - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:33

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:33
Hey Ducky, i agree! Just another bouncer with a chip on his shoulder and some anger to vent!
AnswerID: 43548

Reply By: mik*2 - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:37

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:37
yep, David Hookes was an Australian cricketing icon....just a waste. I guess the real story needs to filter through but I reckon it's time someone started to get tough with the gorillas working at the door of some of these clubs...

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 43549

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:56

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:56
something that always gets my goat is how these 'toughies' all manage to cover their heads when being taken to the lockup...Proud to be seen by their mates when actually doing stuff but not so keen once caught.....I know you are innocent until proven guilty and all that....that's why I reckon I would make a crap copper...I wouldn't give themanything to allow them / or let them cover up.
AnswerID: 43555

Follow Up By: Member - Ric- Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 00:00
wouldn't u like to shuv a bat where the sun doesn't shine?
a bit rude, but you feel so helpless when this sort of thing happens
and then hearing the alleged attacker is freed on bail
FollowupID: 305839

Reply By: thomo - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:57

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:57
I worked as a bouncer for about 6 years i got out because there was to many thugs and morons.Its far to easy to get your licence , this sort of thing does happen a fair bit ,having said all that we havent heard both sides yet tho.
AnswerID: 43556

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:58

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:58
RIP David..he was a great player I think as a kid growing up we all tried to hit a ball like Hookesy and later on when he became a media commentator and coach he wasn't frightened to say what he felt, a sad day indeed...

LynLife - Live it , Love it !

AnswerID: 43557

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:59

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 20:59
Yup, agree Jim.. He was exciting. Something missin from Cricket now..

You can imagine the prick that hit him, IQ of 1, 4 ton of gold chain round his neck, Lowered VN Commodore round the corner, the works.

You can see the defence already, he had a poor childhood from a impoverished nation, came to australia looking for a "NEW BEGINNING"...

Well he will get it in a cell with a big brute called Bubba...

AnswerID: 43558

Reply By: macandjen - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:11

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:11
A very sad day Jemima - hope is family is left to grieve without too much media interference...RIP Hookesy
AnswerID: 43562

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:16

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:16
I hope this leads to a complete investigation and closing down of the licensed thug industry in Victoria. While clubs/pubs need some sought of security, the situation has existed for many years where steroid crazed maniacs can assault anyone they like and get away with it because the police are on their side, and ignore legitimate complaints against them.Bob
AnswerID: 43563

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:38

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 21:38
Whilst I sympathise with the family for their sad loss there is an old saying which says "You get out of life what you put in to it " The tragic sequence of events tells the story of a mishap late at night. No one knows the details, least of, all of us on this forum, who are not doing anyone any favours by slagging off in a knee jerk reaction at the Security industry. If it were an unknown victim the news report would have been no longer than 10 seconds and we would have been none the wiser.

This is a four wheel drive and travel forum...lets stick to the subject and stay away from all and sundry media events. My opinion.

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 43574

Follow Up By: jemima puddle duck - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:04

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:04
sorry willem
but i didnt mention bouncers ect i just said he was just someone i admired.
but i do remember reading about rip slim ect ect ect.
if it dosnt mean anything to you just dont coment simple.you reckon your cute
richard(eskimo)
but im a lot cuter

FollowupID: 305820

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:40

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:40
Jim

It was a generalisation on the comments responding to your post.

When posting on this forum you are inviting comment for whatever subject matter so don't tell me how to suck eggs.

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 305828

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 16:36

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 16:36
Willie...IMHO it would be a shame when a person can't use a forum that he belongs to, to express his sympathy over the tragic and sad death of a person that he admired. Whilst this is a 4wd and camping travel forum, it is also a forum that has developed a great camaraderie between it's regular uses ..and I'm sure that in the next few weeks and months there will be at least 2 births announced here as well ..whilst no one is telling you how to suck eggs.[and let's face it Willie...you wouldn't be feeling too crash hot if you did..lol]...I think most people who have read Jim's post would also agree with his sentiments whether they responded or not.

and if I remember rightly you attracted some rather colourful debate not so long ago on an issue that was not strictly 4wding or traveling...unless you consider driving around looking at Christmas lights and having to undergo an RBT traveling.

cheers..

Lyn xx

Life - Live it , Love it !

FollowupID: 305914

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 17:03

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 17:03
Yes Maaaaaaa...you are right.. I owe Jim an apology as it was not his post that I wanted to criticize but those of the other replies. I should have attached my post to Follow Up with Truckster but I made a slight error. Then again there was nothing personal to my post until it became personal and to that I responded. As for my posting of a previous colourful debate as you mentioned...it was hardly a newsworthy item but only a dig at the system....and we were travelling, albeit slowly. In conclusion I wish to state that I do not retract any of what I have posted here and I will continue to voice my opinion on matters which I take an interest in. Take it or leave it :-)))

As always, your friend xxxxxxxxxx.

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 305917

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 17:21

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 17:21
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LynLife - Live it , Love it !

FollowupID: 305921

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 17:43

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 17:43
With all this XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
going on, I'm feeling left out. Now Willie, let me give you a tip, I DO NOT WANT ANY XXXXXXXXXXXXXXFROM YOU.Dare to Lead not to Follow
FollowupID: 305924

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 17:59

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 17:59
You are right Mr Lexik.......I won't , I am not that kind of fella, yuk, I can think of nothing worse.....Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 305930

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 22:48

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 22:48
I must admit.... I was wondering how a 21 year old kid could manage to be a bouncer and handle himself well with maybe beligerent cricketers etc.. I'm not really standing up for the kid ... but we have judged and hung him already. Royce www.funshow.com.au
FollowupID: 305986

Reply By: navaraman - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:56

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:56
RIP Hookesy. One of the finest batsmen to grace the game. Condolences to his family.
AnswerID: 43593

Reply By: cwebb - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 00:44

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 00:44
What does it matter about the other side of the story? This absolute waste of space thug smashed another persons face so hard he fell backwards and split his head open. Some distance from the hotel to which he was employed. He should now be re-arrested for murder, and held in custody. Away from the public would be a nice thing too. Otherwise he might himself be on the end of some cricket fanatics bat, to which I wouldn't object. Stuff his side of the story. I am bloody fuming mad about this.
AnswerID: 43612

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:40

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:40
I was devistated when I heard the news, and don't mind admitting there were tears in my eyes when the family held their news conference.

I hope the "crowd controller" gets what he deserves, seing as he was not being paid to chase the victims 70 metres down the road to king hit David Hookes. The three "crowd controllers" involved should all have their licences revoked, and also have all three charged.

David Hookes was not just a great cricketer, he was a great humanitarian, intelligent and sportsmanlike. It is a great loss to us all, and I think the number of people saddened by the news in Oz and also around the world, show that David was held in such high regard.

RIP and condolences to the Hookes family.Just Do It!

AnswerID: 43660

Sponsored Links