Birdsville Races

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:59
ThreadID: 9889 Views:1492 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I am planning a trip from the Mid North Coast of NSW to Alice Springs in September and was thinking I would like to go to the Birdsville Races on the way, but I do not know what the road is like from Windorah through Betoota to Birdsville and then up through Bedourie and on to Boulia.

I have a Subaru Outback H6. Can someone tell me if the roads are OK for this type of vehicle and secondly if the vehicle is OK what are the chances of towing a caravan?

Or should I forget Birdsville and stay on the tar?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mal (Brisbane) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 13:22

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 13:22
Gary,

The roads to Birdsville are usually in pretty good condition at race time. If it's dry you will be fine, If it's wet it will be fun ( for everyone watching, that is). Anyway, there will be plenty of people around to help you. I've seen comodores and falcons out there. I'd give it a go. You will have a great time.

Mal T.
AnswerID: 43664

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:40

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:40
Gary,

As Mal said you should be right, the races are the big event of the year, and many hours are spent grading the roads. What I've seen in one trip to Birdsville by road(been there heaps of times in plane), is to watch the floodways. They put a lot of gravel in these, and its often sharp, so slow down a little.

Road to Bedourie is good, and from there to Boulia, there is now quite a bit of bitumen.

Think you'd be right with a van too, just take your time. Be careful of any bigger rocks on the road, don't straddle them, for fear of major damage to engine/tranny.

Hooroo...
AnswerID: 43675

Follow Up By: Gary Stratton - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 19:08

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 19:08
Hi Bob
And thanks for the help. I have flown out there myself, but that was a long time ago, 1982 for the centenary race and then again in 1983, but this will be the first time as a ground hugger.
FollowupID: 305941

Follow Up By: Ruth - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 13:03

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 13:03
HI Gary, make sure you have two (2) spare tyres for the car and if towing a van, assume you mean caravan then, make sure you have two (2) spares for it as well. Also cover the back windscreen of your car with a beer carton (that's how we tell what state you come from) or perspex as the stones will hit the front of your van and into your back windscreen. (Please all you people out theredon't come back at me about having low slung hammocks and things under your tow bar to stop the rocks - I see the broken windows each day - and I see the stress for the people who then have to drive at least 800 klms or more to have them fixed). Next, check your water lines under the van and bring some extra fittings - the plastic ones just bleep ter. These things do not happen to every van - but it is easier to be prepared. The roads are always very good at Race time. Birdsville to Bedourie now has approx. 80 klms bitumen and Bedourie to Boulia has approx 120 klms bitumen. Look forward to seeing you.
FollowupID: 306042

Follow Up By: Gary Stratton - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 13:27

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 13:27
Hi Ruth
Thanks for the help. My wife are looking foward to the trip. I take it from your last, that you are also going. If you see a Pearl White Outback H6 it will probably be me in it so give us a wave. Have not got the van yet so do not know the type or colour. Sold my last one 6 months ago, was not the layout we wanted. Will be looking for one for the next 6 months till we see just what we want at the right price.
FollowupID: 306044

Reply By: Ruth - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:39

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:39
Hey Gary, you will see me but I won't be on the road I'll be in Birdsville though. See you then.
AnswerID: 44106

Sponsored Links