Esperance to Eucla along the coast

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:31
ThreadID: 9890 Views:5982 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Planning to drive along the coast (as much as possible) from Esperance to Eucla. Would appreciate any notes or knowledge on it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter Guy - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 15:03

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 15:03
Hi we just drove from Balladonia to Condo near Esperance and the road is ok.
I believe the track to Israilite Bay is a bit rough after the recent rains.
The short cut to Norseman via Hyden is a really good well graded road - you can average 90 to 100 kph.
AnswerID: 43679

Reply By: Member - Mal (Brisbane) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 15:17

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 15:17
Phil,

Contact the CALM office in Esperence. They supplied me with a mud map and notes.
When you get to Point Culver you run out of beach and have to go back about 10-12 Km to find the track through and up the sand hills to the top of the cliffs. You can then drive out to the highway or along the top of the cliffs to Caiguna.
Have a great trip. We will be doing it again later this year.

Mal T.
AnswerID: 43683

Reply By: joc45 - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 16:54

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 16:54
Phil,
Esperance to Cape Arid is via Merivale Road, a good formed unsealed road. You can follow the old telegraph track from Cape Arid right around the coast to Israelite Bay via Pt Malcolm (good sheltered camping), or cut across directly. The tracks are fine provided there hasn't been too much rain. Israelite Bay isn't all that good as a camping spot, but historically interesting.
From Israelite Bay, you follow the telegraph track about 25km further NNE before cutting in onto the beach (reef earlier prevents driving the beach from Israelite). It is best to follow the track as far as you can before cutting onto the beach to avoid seaweed, which accumulates on the western end of the coast. From there, you have about 80-90km of good sand to drive on, but be warned; it can get soft in some seasons, and on the western end, you may have to walk the seaweed a bit to find a safe track.
The Bilbunya dunes along the way are stunning. About 8km before the cliffs start, you must turn up into the dunes. There is a good camping spot up in the dunes. The track takes you up onto the top of the cliffs, and from there, it's a rough limestone track with plenty of overhanging mallee limbs to scratch your duco. Reasonable camping spot at Toolinna Rock Hole, and usually fresh water in the hole. When I was last thru (about 3 years ago), we had to turn northwards when due south of Caiguna to meet the highway (a visit to Baxter's memorial should be done). East of Cocklebiddy on the highway, turn south to the Eyre bird observatory (the old telegraph station). The telegraph track continues east from Burnabbie Pass thru to Madura. It's a very long while since I've driven the tracks east of Madura, but there is a telegraph track following the coast right up to about 20km west of Eucla.
I have a few ozi track files and gps waypoints if you need them, plus more comments - gerron@bigpond.net.au
Gerry
AnswerID: 43693

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 23:11

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 23:11
Hi Joc,
A while ago I got hold of the notes that the ranger at the Esperance office distributes and have been meaning to publish them in our standard Trek Note format here on ExplorOz. Now that we are also utilisting digital plot files to accomanying trek notes, I wonder if you would pls forward your ozi files (plt and wpt) to us so we can distribute via Plot Swap to all on this site.ExplorOz
FollowupID: 305994

Follow Up By: phil@gero - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:41

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:41
THANKS GERRY, I'D APPRECIATE ANYTHING YOU HAVE ON THAT
CHEERS
PHIL
FollowupID: 306334

Follow Up By: joc45 - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:27

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:27
Phil, drop me a line on the above email address
Gerry
FollowupID: 306339

Follow Up By: phil@gero - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 18:37

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 18:37
Gerry - i can't work out your address - i'm new to this site - mine is pheyhoe@wn.com.au
FollowupID: 306446

Reply By: phil@gero - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 20:04

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 20:04
GERRY - I'M NEW TO THIS SITE & CAN'T FIND YOUR ADDRESS - MINE IS pheyhoe@wn.com.au IF YOU CAN SEND ME YOURS WE CAN CORRESPOND

TA PHIL
AnswerID: 44142

Sponsored Links