Bought a HJ60 for taking up to Kimberley

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:38
ThreadID: 9912 Views:1965 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, new to the forum.

I'm in Perth and just bought a HJ60, 01/84 make with original 2H engine. 301,000km, with the gearbox and transfer case reconditioned at 265,000. The motor is good, and to my eye, the mechanicals are generally very good. There are heaps of these for sale in Perth at the moment, the market is very flat - I picked this one up for $5,000. The previous owner was a 55yr old mechanic and had had it for 15 years

Anyway, my point is that this car has some quite serious cosmetic rust. The sills have big holes in them for 3/4 of their length (perhaps where a roofrack once was), and the rear mudguards are bad too. There are holes at the top of the A-pillars which aren't too good. So far, I have cut out and ground back the rust in the sills, the mudguards and the top of the A-pillar. Next I will put in plenty of cold-galv over the bare metal, then mig-weld in new metal where it's possible. After that is bogging, sanding and painting.

But my questions are moreso this. I'm heading up to Derby for work, but would like to use this vehicle to do a little exploring up there. I am a complete novice to 4WDing so would appreciate if anyone could point me to a webpage or something that shows the basic requirements and skills for remote 4WDing in an area like the Kimberley. The car came with twin batteries, though they are getting old, bullbar and spotties. I'm thinking of getting a UHF, Engel, and perhaps some gear to do running repairs, but am not sure exactly what. Also water tanks and fuel tanks, a snatch strap and maybe a jack. What about things like winches, are they more show than go when it comes to a novice like me 4WDing?

Anyhow, any advice appreciated. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 16:36

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 16:36
Try this web site for the best info around on those subjects you mention.
www.exploroz.com It really is the best one.Dare to Lead not to Follow
AnswerID: 43807

Reply By: Peter - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 16:48

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 16:48
The ebst advice I can give is to join a 4WD club and do a training course. For the Kimberley you probably will not need a winch - unless you get stuck after rain. get the battery setup chekced out and ensure that the wiring is heavy enough to deliver the right voltage to the fridge. Look at Waeco fridges - cheaper than Engel and work as well. use lots of fish oil around the rust spots you are fixing otherwise it creaps through again. This year of the cruiser was notorious for this problem. Try to restrict a rack to just the extra spare tyre. If you are spending money on the car, look at getting the suspension done - around $1,800 should see new springs and shocks. Then you can handle the Gibb River Rd corrugations.

Enjoy the experience.

Peter
AnswerID: 43809

Follow Up By: eyesspee - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 17:23

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 17:23
Funny you should mention the Gibb River Rd, as I'll be project managing the maintenance works on it this dry season (I'm an engineer wtih Main Roads). Might see some of you up there.
FollowupID: 306075

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 21:23

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 21:23
dont do anything drastic to the GRR, wouldnt want to take the fun out of it for us 4wdrivers now!!!!!
Will.
AnswerID: 43852

Follow Up By: Greg Harewood - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:40

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:40
..not to mention the 2Wdrivers, Truckdrivers and MCriders :)
Cheers
Greg
FollowupID: 306134

Sponsored Links