the good ol days..or when we were kids

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 19:07
ThreadID: 9916 Views:1844 Replies:8 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because...

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pots and pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and fluorescent 'clackers' on our wheels. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.

We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no-one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broken bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits. They were accidents. We learnt not to do the same thing again.

We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue we learned to get over it. We walked to friend's homes.

We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school, we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.
Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 19:36

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 19:36
god how true
bloody amazing how much life has changed
cant even let your kids out side becauce some sicko runs off with them
where dids all these low lifes come from
AnswerID: 43831

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 19:45

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 19:45
Must be a product of the do gooders and the governments social engineering balls upI may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 306095

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 20:23

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 20:23
Yeah and most of the old farts thinking up these new draconian regulations were the dope smokers and hippies of the '60's and 70's and those who were into free love and LSD and all the good things of that era. I know...I was there..but I don't remember much..hahahahaha

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 43837

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:05

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:05
you should change your name to al.....no thats taken i think.... what about "demencha" you old hippy
hahahahaWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 306114

Follow Up By: Nomad - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:10

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:10
Geez Willem

Ya nearly got me going!! I'm an old fart from the 60's & 70's & 50's but I was gunna say don't lump that lot on me. But, mate, you were only joking?? Eh??Eh??

See ya in the bush. Treadlightly!

Nomad
FollowupID: 306118

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:23

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:23
Yeah those were the good years, Richard.....but luckily I stayed intact if not a tad brain damaged unlike the "aint I cute" picture of yourself....what on earth were you smoking?????.......hahahahahaha

Nomad, don't tell me that you were an innocent little lad in that era who wore glasses and didn't look up girls' dresses in the classroom?

Geez we had a lot of laughs then.............

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 306123

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:47

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:47
Willem "I Aint Cute" you say!!! geez man what are you still smokin ....you should have stopped yrs ago....dont you know it clouds the visionWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 306160

Reply By: Nomad - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:32

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:32
My problem Willem was that we didn't have any girls in our class (or any class). Boys school mate!! Only made us worse when we got outta school! LOL.

Yeh, sorta wish you could go back eh?? Maybe??

You do a lot of "hahahahahahahahahaha'ing" eh Willem!?

See ya in the bush. Treadlightly!

Nomad
AnswerID: 43870

Reply By: Diamond(due to duck season) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 23:00

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 23:00
thaanks eskimo.
now i have proof to show the kids why we dont have pay tv/mobile phones/x-boxes and im always telling then to go out side and play get some sun lol.
and they recon im just an old fart from the 60s(very late0
cheers mate
due to duck season coming
ive decided to hide out
love jemima puddle duck
back after the season
AnswerID: 43882

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:53

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:53
hiding due to duck season eh
at least i have the courage to keep my face up front...its boootifool
Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 306162

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:36

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:36
Man Richard you're a butt ugly duck hahahahaahahah, if thats your REAL pictureIf you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 306232

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 19:14

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 19:14
Hey bonz !
do you smoke that whoopie weed too
any body (thats anybody worth knowing) can clearly see I'm not a duck lol lol lol
you reckon that chicken...er duck is more cute? Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 306238

Follow Up By: Diamond(due to duck season) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 20:33

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 20:33
of course im cuter even in hiding lol
ps you still got a big head lol
cheersdue to duck season coming
ive decided to hide out
love jemima puddle duck
back after the season
FollowupID: 306251

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 22:13

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 22:13
and you've still got that ducks disease....short legs...meaning your bums' too close to the groundWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 306273

Reply By: Brian - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 23:42

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 23:42
That has to be one of the best I have ever read on this great site.
How bloody true.
It is just a pity that in this day and age all the great people who are on this site could not get together and re live some of those years.
I am a "Baby Boomer", born in 1948 and boy did I have some great times as a kid.
I never suffered from a smack on the arse.
Did not want to sue my parents becauses maybe they did not change my wet nappy straight away when I was 3 months old.
When I fell off my bike and grazed my knee I did not sue the local council because there was a rock on the road.
I could go on for hours but at 55 years of age I still believe we live in the greatest country on earth and lets keep it that way.
It is unfortunate when it comes to voting power we are all just small fish in the sea because they (politicans) are all tarred with the one brush. Sorry to mention politics but I hate em' all. They are all gutless wonders.
You put it all down well because as I read your post it really took me back to my childhood and it is great not to lose those memories. (Although my homebrew does at times cloud the memory).
PS. One thing concerns me :) Are you from NZ? You said flip flops (Why not thongs?)
Have a good one mate and congratulations on a great post.

AnswerID: 43893

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:43

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:43
nah a kiwi i am not brian....they say jandals if i recall.
And why would a kiwi (If i was one) be of a concern to you?Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 306159

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 23:12

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 23:12
I'm a flippin kiwi and I say fongs err fungs arhh thungs, stuff it, jandals!
I call Australia homeI may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 306283

Follow Up By: bigfella - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:19

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:19
Don't worry I show up as Brian from my home computer and Bigfella at my homebrew shop.
I have nothing against Kiwis. Have a great mate who is a barrister in NZ.
So, Eskimo it is not a concern to me. I just like taking the bleep out of Kiwis and also them doing the same to us. We must never lose that sense of humour.
This has been an interesting post.
Cheers
The Bigfella
FollowupID: 306337

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 15:39

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 15:39
Yep got some great kiwi mates too
Know what you mean about ribbing them....lol lol lol
Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 306348

Reply By: StephenF - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 23:49

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 23:49
Some of the things in the list are fair enough, but some are just plain dumb. How many kids are alive and well now BECAUSE they were wearing a bike helmet, or BECAUSE they didn't get a big dose of leaded paint, or BECAUSE there are child-proof tops on medicine and poison bottles, or BECAUSE of seat belts and air bags in cars.

The good old days? I don't think so.

Stephen.
AnswerID: 43894

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 05:06

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 05:06
Not to mention Polio, lead in kids blood from breathing leaded petrol exhaust, and the Beaumont kids etc etc. Funny how we have selective memory.Bob
FollowupID: 306138

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 05:11

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 05:11
and Graham Thorn, no seat belts, six o'clock closing, Victorias road toll > 1000 pa, cross-ply tyres, drum brakes.Bob
FollowupID: 306139

Follow Up By: Blackie - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:42

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:42
And only Jeeps and Land Rovers to choose between.
Someone in 2050 will remember the good old days at the turn of the century and how kids of today are.... whatever they will be in 2050.
FollowupID: 306150

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 10:57

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 10:57
Not that I ever had the personal experience, (not too often anyway) but if we ever got into trouble at school and got the cane, we wouldn't tell our parents because we would get another serve at home. We respected our teachers, the police, our parents and ourselves. We respected other peoples property to a better extent than what it appears today and most importantly we respected life. Some things have changed for the worse. Dare to Lead not to Follow
AnswerID: 43937

Follow Up By: jeff-wa - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:08

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:08
Dam straight! How often do you cop lip from a frig'n 9 or 10 year old when walking into the deli to get a paper!? What the? I was scared of "grown ups" I respected them! And I think I would be a different person today if I didn't.
FollowupID: 306163

Reply By: brian - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:19

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:19
Hi Eskimo Just a few memories
1 My 13 th birthday present was 22 rifle and full belt of ammo,dad had already trained me to shoot well and be safe.
2 Never locked rear door of house saved carring key while i was at the surf,where we all left our bikes and gear unsequered.
3Never locked cars in driveway overnight
4When there was a fist fight it was one on one not one against a group.
5 you said /promised something and it meant something.
6 we knew all the neighbours they came to our house and we went to theirs
7 the doctor was greatly respected and made house calls at an appointed time.
8my girlfriends father would walk down the driveway and tap on the cars window if i haddent noticed him switching on the outside light,youst to scare --787out of me.
9 had to wait in line to get the cane,this was the worst part.
10 cars did not have locking fuel caps.try that now.
11 graffite was unknown
12girls said no all the time
AUSTRALIA IS NOT WHAT IT WAS MAINLY DUE TO TELEVISION AND IMMEGRATION but only in my view not a popular viev perhaps but its stillmy right to express it.Your right to have a different view.
AnswerID: 44030

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 22:09

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 22:09
its obvious that you were/are not a ladies man
"12 said no at the same time"
geez wish i was thereWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 306271

Sponsored Links