Nissan V Mitsubishi

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 20:13
ThreadID: 9922 Views:1617 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I recently test drove a 3.2 ltr diesel auto Mitsubishi Pajero & was very impressed. I felt that it was better with power & handling than my 3 ltr manual Nissan.
I am now considering making the change. Has anyone got an opinion on this.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 20:51

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 20:51
All depends on what type of 4WDing/drivivng you do. The Nissan has live axles, separate chasis and is built like the proverbial brick dunny. The Paj has a very sweet engine, independent suspension, monocoque chasis and a lighter overall construction.

If you spend your time pounding the corrugated gravel roads and traverse the deepest, gnarly hil climbs or river crossings, then the nissan would more likely survive the pounding. However, if you spend a lot of time on the blacktop and only occasionaly go 4Wding (like most of us really do if we are honest) , then the Paj will also last. It also has MUCH better road holding manners to boot.

The Patrol is a heavy duty 4WD while the Paj is a medium duty. Choose the one that suits as IMHO they are not directly comparable (similair yes, but different emphasis about on/off road bias).

I have a GU manual 3.0TD and chose this for its off road bias. Neither are "better', just aimed at a slightly different market (how many pajeros are in the mining industry compared to Patrols/cruisers?).

Cheers

Mark

AnswerID: 43840

Follow Up By: Roachie - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 21:42

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 21:42
Mark,
That was a great reply and I reckon you've covered the whole range of reasons/considerations. You are dead right....none of us spend as much time as we'd like to think we do off the bloody black stuff.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 306106

Follow Up By: raymat - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 21:54

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 21:54
Mark
I also think you have covered my question pretty well but I forgot to say that Itow a 21ft caravan which the Nissan handles easily, I presume the mitsubishi would also have no trouble.
FollowupID: 306109

Follow Up By: Mark - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:20

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:20
I haven't towed with the Paj (but plenty with my GU - have an off-road caravan) and expect that while the power would be better, that perhaps the lighter Pajero would be more susseptible to be moved around by the van.

The Paj is rated to tow 2500kg compared to the 3200kg of the manual Nissan. The Nissan has relatively stiff suspension whereas the Paj has a more complaint, softer suspension. IMHO I suspect this would not help that feeling of security one has when towing with a nissan.

Perhaps stabiliser bars would improve the feel, but there is nothing like a heavier tow vehicle to control what is being towed.

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 306122

Reply By: Richard - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 21:46

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 21:46
IMHO the Pajero with IFS is great on flat dirt roads including corrugations. The IFS has its limitations with articulation on rough tracks. Your choice should depend on where you are going to spend most of your time driving.
AnswerID: 43861

Reply By: AndrewX - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 23:03

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 23:03
Just one major consideration that hasn't been mentioned is that the Pajero will almost certainly give you many thousands of trouble free kilometres. The Patrol will almost certainly give you many troubles. Just check the posts regarding Patrol troubles on this forum alone. The Pajero is also much more capable off road. It's a modern highly developed 4wd. The other is a "yesterday vehicle".
AnswerID: 43884

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:04

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:04
I presume you mean 'much more capable ON road'...and fortunately Australia still has a few "yesterday tracks"...where the Patrol makes more sense...
FollowupID: 306143

Follow Up By: AndrewX - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 23:02

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 23:02
Why ever did you presume that? I said off road and I meant off road!! It is also much more capable on road too by the way, but I presumed that everyone would know that! I drove many tracks in the sixties in a 60s Landrover. I can tell you that today's vehicles handle yesterday's tracks far better than yesterday's vehicles. The old vehicles, even the FJ55 Landcruiser made relatively good tracks seem rough!
FollowupID: 306281

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:13

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:13
Pajero better than a Patrol off-road? You're funny Andrew...obviously not too many rutted tracks requiring decent wheel articulation your way...
FollowupID: 306304

Reply By: Billy - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:17

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:17
I also found the DDi Pajero to be a good handler and powerful. It was also noisy in the engine department and there was a lot of road noise on all surfaces. My personal conclusion was that if I were using in mainly on road I would go the Paj in petrol.

I agree with the previous poster in that the Patrol and Paj are not really directly comparable. One is designed for roads built this century, the other for ones built in the last, where you need a "yesterdays car".All aboard!
AnswerID: 43915

Reply By: Scott_G - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:20

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:20
mate i work for a large land and forestry surveying company that gives vehicles a hiding
i look after the vehicle fleet and 2 years ago they started buying pajero instead of patrol and landcruiser wagons
mate we do less repairs and less breakdowns on pajero and the surveyors like them better all round
the 3.2 engine is bloody great mate go for it
AnswerID: 43916

Reply By: brett - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 23:12

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 23:12
Just because the Pajero doesn't have a chassis don't be fooled into thinking it's a flimsy light weight vehicle. The diesel GLS weighs in at about 2140Kg, a Patrol is not much over 2200Kg, the difference is less than a tank of fuel. From the weight there is obviously alot of metal in the Pajero somewhere.
AnswerID: 44056

Reply By: Rodney - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 13:25

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 13:25
The Pajero's are excellent cars and four wheel drive machines. They may not have the advantage of super axel articulation but with standard traction control right across the range the pajero will go in 90% of places the crusiers and patrols go. In some situation I have know the pajeros to be better offroad than the heavy weights, but the opposite is also true. Personally unless your a serious hardcore offroader then don't waste your time or money on the patrols or crusiers. These machinces gussle the petrol and have high maintance costs. The Pajero or Prado are the way to go especially if you spend most of your time on road, they offer the best of both worlds. The new DID Pajero will tow just about anything with easy. A recent test showed the DID Paj had the best torque to weight ratio up against the toyotas or nissans. There monocoque body was put to the test and came out unscratched. The test included single point snatch recovery from a variety of situation. In one snatch recovery the forces measured was said to have distorted conventional chassis four wheel drives, pajeros body didn't even flinch.
AnswerID: 44270

Sponsored Links