hankook tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 21:15
ThreadID: 9927 Views:5667 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I,ve been pricing tyres for my Rodeo 4wd & Hankook tyres are 25% cheaper than all other brands.Has anyone out there had good or bad results with this brand.

Shorty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 21:38

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 21:38
Shorty, A mate of mine with a 4.2 t/d GU Patrol has just put 2 A/T Hancooks on. He decided to switch from Duellers because of the excellent reports he'd had from blokes he knows on stations in northern SA. These blokes use Hancooks exclusively because they cause them the least amount of trouble of any of the tyres they've tried over the years. Less punctures/blow-outs/stakings etc. They also claim to get excellent life out of them but no kilometers were available.....probably wouldn't bear much similarity to what other vehicles would do anyway as virtually all their travelling would be a bit slower and on gravel. Most of us would spend more time than we'd like to admit on the black-top. This brings up the question of longevity when driving on bitumen at increased speed, with more heat build up. I had a set of Hancooks about 10 years ago and can't remember them being any problem to me. I'll certainly be giving their Mud Terrain a look later in the year when my current BFG Muddies will need replacing before I head to Cape York again. Otherwise I'll be choosing from Coopers STT, more BFG Muddies or maybe Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 43857

Reply By: jemima puddle duck - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:33

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:33
gday shorty
i dont work in tyres any more but i did for years.
hankook they just dont wear very well now.you reckon your cute
richard(eskimo)
but im a lot cuter

AnswerID: 43874

Reply By: AndrewX - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:56

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:56
I had Hankooks on a Pajero about 12 years ago. The vehicle developed a steering shake at speed and despite several attempts to balance the wheels it continued. Finally traced to out of round tyres. Went to importer in Carnegie (Melbourne suburb) and they were not a bit interested. Have never used them again and never will. As far as I'm concerned I gave them a chance to redeem themselves for a faulty product, they didn't so they lost me for life. BTW the shake developed at about 60,000km and I replaced the tyres at 70,000km. Desert duellers followed and lasted 110,000km.
AnswerID: 43881

Reply By: Dave ....Adelaide - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 05:35

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 05:35
Shorty
I purchased a set of Hankook dynamic at radials for my GQ over 18mths ago.
I have now done approx 70000ks and have had not one prob, this includes a 16000k trip around half of oz last year travelling the GRR and also the Balladonia to Isralite bay track , Roper Bar to Boroloola , and can honestly say i have'nt had one puncture the whole time they have been on my vehicle. I dont know if it makes any difference cause im no expert when it comes to tyres but i always run 42psi whilst on bitumen and always lower them to about 34psi while on really corrugated or very rough roads, hope this helps, i would definetley run Hankooks on any of my vehicles again with no hesitation, and at half the price of most other well known tyres, i dont think you can go wrong.......Just my opinion .........Cheers Dave

BTW my tires are approx just over half worn
AnswerID: 43911

Reply By: Scott_G - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:12

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:12
mate we use hankook tyres at work and give no trouble
17 vehicles fitted always off road everyday
may not last as long as other tyres but grip is good on bitumen and off road
mate go get em you will like them and value for money
AnswerID: 43914

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:57

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:57
Hankooks were on my Rodeo when I purchased it, still there. Like others have said not a problem. NI may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
AnswerID: 43919

Reply By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:34

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:34
Like Mad Dog, Hankook tyres were on my Rodeo when I bought it, nil probs, very happy with them.
AnswerID: 43950

Reply By: phil - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 14:31

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 14:31
Hi Shorty,
Hankook have quite a wide range of tyres in 205r16 size which I guess is what you need.
I have recently bought a set of Hankook Z36 for my Mazda Brave because people around here seem to have had a good run with them on farm/work utes. Price is certainly good. I paid $148 each fitted/balanced/new valves here in Armidale NSW. I was looking for tyre with a not too agressive tread because most running is, as usual, on bitumen. I notice no extra tyre noise compared with the Bridgestone H/T tyres that they replaced.
Our fire truck has the M/T variety on it.
Phil
AnswerID: 43969

Reply By: snow - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 15:52

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 15:52
I also have Hankookies on for couple of years, 31 x 10.5 , no probs and at 145 each wont complain. Have seen plenty of beach and rough dirt roads/tracks and are wearing quite well.
Rgds
AnswerID: 43980

Reply By: rads - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 16:42

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 16:42
Worked on a mine site for a while. The cruiser traybacks we had ran Hankooks over very rough roads (nil bitumen). Lasted very well. Very rare to get a puncture.
AnswerID: 43990

Reply By: shorty - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 19:49

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 19:49
Like to thank everybody for their responses. Will give them a go,as you said for $145 they are good value .When I bought the Rodeo it was fitted with Diamondback a/t tyres which nobody seems to have heard of. They have been really good tyres, no punctures,have worn evenly & are very easy to balance, & I would have been happy to have bought them again . Only problem is nobody seems to sell them.
AnswerID: 44018

Follow Up By: AndrewX - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 22:53

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 22:53
Looks like I was the only unlucky one Shorty so you should be right! From memory I didn't buy them because they were cheaper (but they may have been) but because they were the only ones with white lettering available in my size at the time. I still wouldn't use them as I don't believe in giving manufacturers a second chance but good luck with yours!
FollowupID: 306280

Sponsored Links