Cruise Control with Manual Transmission

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 23:49
ThreadID: 9934 Views:3873 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any good/bad experiences with using Cruise in a manual vehicle. Is it just a case of having to change down yourself when you hit an incline and the revs drop.

I've driven auto cars with cruise but never a manual.Prado GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 00:31

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 00:31
I currently use on on my manual GU 4.2TD (turbo), and it's great. I had one on my old GQ 4.2 naturally-aspirated diesel, and it was lacking a bit on hills, but fine on the more gentle undulations. Still worth the while. If the CC doesn't come with a cutout switch on the clutch (like the one on the brake), it's a good idea to fit one so the CC doesn't get confused while changing gears.
Gerry
AnswerID: 43899

Reply By: Mike - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:13

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:13
Hi Steven. The cruise control I have fitted to my GU 4.2td is excellent. Its the one you can get from Kmart for under $200. Mine automatically drops out when the vehicle speed drops 10k below what it has been set. If I anticipate a decline in speed (eg large hill ahead) I can either speed up a little to get more momentum or I touch the traler brake controler manual override at the appropriate time. I agree that a cut out switch on the clutch would be good, but there are other ways. Personally I don't have any problems at all as it is..
Happy camping
Mike.
AnswerID: 43905

Reply By: Moneypit - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:14

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:14
I've had one on 3 manual 4WD's before the current one [an auto] and I've had the AP50 Command type from Kmart [I think thats the model]

I never fitted the cutout to the clutch because I didn't have the know how but I just changed my driving style to a way that made sure I didn't hit the clutch without just touching the brake pedal [not enough to slow the car just to activate the switch].

Never had any problem over about 10 years of doing it.

Dave
AnswerID: 43906

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:22

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:22
Thanks for the replies.

On the new prado that I have ordered cruise comes standard (auto or manual). I presume it will have the clutch cutout. The dealer only had an auto for the test drive which went well, but I prefer the control of a manual tranny. I'll just have to see how it goes when I get the vehicle.

StevenLPrado GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
AnswerID: 43907

Reply By: Phil G - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:15

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:15
Steven,

I have the 90 series Prado TD manual with cruise control. It works very well. It cuts out when you touch the clutch or brake, so if you change gears, you'll need to give the lever an upflick to "resume". But the TD has so much torque that its not often required on the open road. Also, it only works over 40kph, but works in any gear.

Takes a bit of getting used to. I turn it off when in undulating country or on roads with a few curves. Just use it on the long straight runs, and around town to avoid the speeding tickets.
AnswerID: 43940

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:25

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:25
My Manual Paj had cruise on it. As others have said not a problem.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
AnswerID: 43941

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:36

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:36
Just have to make sure you dont allow the engine to labour when going up an incline....otherwise they should work ok on non turbo.
Manufacturers dont like fitting them to manual ( not sure if this includes turbo manual or not) for this very reason.Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 43943

Reply By: jeff-wa - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:19

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:19
I only ever had a manual cruise on a sedan, my 1994 Nissan Bluebird 2.4 Perrol, but it was fantastic and it kept the speed in check better than most other cruise controls on Autos, the only one that compares to it is my current electronic 3rd part cruise on my 3.0TD Surf which only varies 3 kms tops under normal highway conditions.
AnswerID: 43947

Sponsored Links