Supreme caravans

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 06:47
ThreadID: 99441 Views:16992 Replies:18 FollowUps:32
This Thread has been Archived
We are going to view our custom made Supreme this weekend to make sure it's all ok before we ship it to tassie next week. We have read many reviews both good and bad on supreme caravans. Is there any common faults with this van that we should be really looking for before we give the final ok. (hope this makes sense)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 08:19

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 08:19
I guess these are questions you should have asked before going ahead with the build. I have no knowledge of the Supreme vans but have met many people unhappy with their van purchase just through lack of research
B-T
AnswerID: 500165

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 08:48

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 08:48
Well thankyou so much for your ever so useful feedback. I will be sure to turn back time as soon as I can.
As I stated above we did research supreme caravans (extensively)along with many other brands. Each and every van within our price range had many reviews both positive and negative. Not everybody, paticularly those with a young family, can afford to buy a top of the range Kedron with little or no faults. There were no reviews on the particular model of caravan we have ordered however. We would therefore like some USEFUL feedback please on Supreme caravans in general and the things we may need to look for on inspection.
Maybe you should try and find something more useful to do with your time than making useless, time wasting comments like above.
FollowupID: 776170

Follow Up By: MUZBRY - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:19

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:19
Gday Rebecca
My daughter was Rebecca H as well ,and she would have said the same as you. Now that makes me wonder if all Rebecca H's are the same.
I hope the new van is good in all respects.

FollowupID: 776198

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:56

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:56
Haha thanks...I hope that's a compliment :)
FollowupID: 776204

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 13:13

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 13:13
Rebecca,
Just by coincidence my 1st daughter is a Rebecca too. Although she can be a little on the argumentative side now and then she doesn't have quite the amount of vitriol in her personality that you appear to have judging by your first reply. There are a lot of people on this and other caravan fora that have a store of knowledge which can be quite helpful.
Most are willing to share if approached in the right manner. Maybe that first answer hit a raw nerve.
Now if you are interested in reading further, yes, I own a Supreme, the on-road Spirit model. We have had this van for some four years and have just returned from a 3 1/2 month trip. Did we have any problems? A few, in my opinion, minor ones, a couple of light fittings (fluoro) need replacing and the fans in the ensuite are getting very noisy. Would I buy another Supreme? Yes, we are looking at a new Territory model simply for better road clearance and a better suspension (Simplicity). It will not, in my opinion replace a Bushtracker, Kedron or the like but for the dollar value will be all we will require.

Happy vanning
Pop
FollowupID: 776206

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 14:32

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 14:32
Your advice alone would have been lovely thanks "Pop'. My personality is far from acidic and argumentative. I wouldn't have posted here if I wasn't aware of the amount of knowledge on this site. I am simply after advice, not judgement. Thankyou
FollowupID: 776210

Follow Up By: Member-George (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 15:03

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 15:03
Hi Rebecca, we have a Supreme caravan, 5 yrs now. We are not unhappy with it, however, the fitt out inside like cupboards leave a lot to be desired. Check for loose panels inside the cupboards and big gaps between cupboards. Have a look inside the cupboard where the Suburban HWU is fitted, ours had gaps everywhere. Also check the sealing of pipes coming through the floor. On our first trip on a gravel road, dust came in everywhere due to sloppy sealing of gaps
The shower recess developed leaking water pipes. I finished up fixing all these problems myself in a proper workman like manner. I think Supreme employ cheap unskilled labour. My advise, go over it with a fine tooth combe before you accept delivery. Unfortunately we were not able to check ours before it was shipped to WA. Good luck. Cheers
FollowupID: 776213

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 15:16

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 15:16
Thanks very much for the advice. I will write a list of all of these points and take them with me. Which model is yours?
FollowupID: 776214

Follow Up By: Member-George (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 15:58

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 15:58
Hi Rebecca, ours is a Territory, 22 feet, with a Hyland tow hitch and Simplicity suspension. Cheers
FollowupID: 776216

Reply By: disco jim - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 08:59

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 08:59
Well said !!!
AnswerID: 500169

Reply By: garytee - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:18

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:18
Good on you Rebecca.
Yours is one of the best 'replies' I have read.
I too have received several 'unhelpful and time wasting replies' on this forum over the years.
I always thought if you had nothing nice to say - say nothing!
AnswerID: 500170

Reply By: hamo - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:48

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:48
I've owned a 24' Supreme territory for just over 12 months now, But i havnt used it much.

I did return it to Supreme for its 1st service & a couple of small warranty issue's.
Like draw latch's sticking a plastic trim had come unglued & a leaking 4 seasons hatch.

The hatch was a problem with camac changing to a plastic hatch & the sealer previously used was no longer compatable.

Although i arrived at Supreme un announced the guys at the work shop where very helpful & i would rate the service i recieved a 10 out of 10.

Hamo
AnswerID: 500173

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:04

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:04
Ok thanks. We will be going over all this stuff with a fine tooth comb before it leaves and giving it a good shake down over summer before the big trip.
FollowupID: 776182

Reply By: Lucko - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:49

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:49
I would suggest insisting on a weighbridge certificate of your van as a part of pre delivery. We have looked at quite a few Supremes in the local distributors yard and they all seem quite well finished. We have spoken to several owners out on the road and both were surprised that the actual weight (empty) was higher than the compliance plate. They both had plenty of room to move with the allowable tow weight with their tow cars so no dramas. Hope this helps.

Mark
AnswerID: 500174

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:09

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:09
Thanks we have already got that sorted. We upgraded the suspension so they upgraded the gvm to 3.5t I think the tare was only just over 2.5t so plenty of room to move there. Thanks!
FollowupID: 776184

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:27

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:27
From our experience with ANY new van have a good crawl through cupboards and underneath to check that all entry points for gas, cables and plumbing are properly sealed eg Can you see light from above if a torch is shone from below? If sealing has been careless (or non existent) dust will pour through these gaps once you are on a dirt road.
Make sure you get a careful and detailed handover so you are confident that you can work everything and have a good sized folder of warranty info and instructions for all the equipment like awning, fridge, radio etc. Check that everything that needs a remote actually has one!
Make sure you are satisfied with the finish on the inside and edges of cupboards and drawers and that all the latches work smoothly.
Check whether it has a suitable jack and that you know how to use it on that particular van and change a tyre.
Then, after driving it home, go away for a short trip as soon as possible and try everything out carefully. You will probably still have a few questions or small things to get fixed or altered.
Buy a good fridge thermometer and check that your fridge works properly on electricity and gas if it is a 3way.
Enjoy your new van! We have met many happy Supreme owners. Lynne
AnswerID: 500175

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:50

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:50
Thanks Lynne!
FollowupID: 776201

Reply By: 410 - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:05

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:05
Hi Rebecca
Just read about your tare weight, what are you towing it with? You may have plenty of GVM of 3.5, but if you get to around 2.8 tonne this is getting heavy and check the ball weight.
Rich
AnswerID: 500178

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:55

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:55
Hi, We have a Landcruiser to tow with so all good. Have put a new tow ball on and have the right stickers etc for that. Our boat weighs around 3 tonne so we are pretty well set up for towing large items. Thanks :)
FollowupID: 776203

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 13:04

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 13:04
I just realised you were the Richard I was emailing a month or so ago (I think). How are your plans coming along? We are leaving in April now and will be back home about this time next year.
FollowupID: 776205

Follow Up By: 410 - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 13:16

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 13:16
Hi Rebecca
Hopefully we will get away around March. We have got the children all set up for Distance Education, so all on track hopefully.
Richard
FollowupID: 776207

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 14:33

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 14:33
Good to hear! Have a great trip....we might cross paths at some stage!
FollowupID: 776211

Reply By: Member - Ian W1 (QLD) - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:17

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:17
Hi, friends have the Supreme Getaway and had a few issues with door catches NOT staying closed when they went over the GRR. Also the microwave wasn't secured firmly and the shower door fell off. No major issues but very annoying little issues so I guess you will need to check that everything closes and is secured firmly if you are considering taking the new van over corrugations. Overall, friends are happpy with the van. Good luck on your travels and enjoy the van.
AnswerID: 500179

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:52

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:52
Thankyou. The shower door was certainly on my checklist I have heard of a few vans have this happen.
FollowupID: 776202

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 15:22

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 15:22
Hi Rebecca,
We have a small camping group that is made up of couples that have been friends in excess of fifty years, amongst the vans there has been a Lotus Trooper (ours), a Bushtracker, Kedron, Concept and a Supreme Slide on.
Everyone has had something wrong, nothing serious, just small things that should have been picked up by the manufacturer before it left the factory, or the dealership at least.
I've read stories on other forums where purchasers have had anything up from 15-20 faults which have had to be attended to.
I hope i'm wrong, but i will lay London to a brick that you will find something wrong, just hold your cool, and work your way through them with the Dealer/Factory.
Go for a short trip asap, that's when things tend to show up.
Enjoy the new van and safe travels, and have a merry Christmas.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 500180

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 15:33

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 15:33
Thanks. I hope there's not too much wrong we are looking at it on Saturday and it will be shipped on Monday :/ I am thinking about contacting the dealer and asking them to go over things thoroughly as well before we get there. We will be using it most of summer so should be able to get a good idea of everything then. We will be on the boat in April so any problems may have to be fixed at the start of our journey then. Thanks merry Xmas to you too!
FollowupID: 776215

Reply By: Member - cherrywipe - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 15:39

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 15:39
Hi Rebecca,
We unfortunately have an Outback find it hard to call it Supreme,we bought ours at a camping show and admit we're very green to caravans.
First night the radio cd played smoked out, so back to dealer lucky only 100 ks out of town. Van was in storage for 18 months then we went on holidays,started raining in Toowoomba,all the widows started leaking,another Supreme next to us in the park had same problem.
Door leaks,and ply coming apart inside the van,on closer inspection under the van where there should have been a metal over the lining there was a smear of silastic,hardly waterproof.
To top it off this year ,I managed to steer too close to a gate post and tore the van open.
Took van to a repairer after the insurance ok d repairs,couple of days later got phone call from repairer telling Me to come in and have a look see ,dry rot all through the damaged side,suggested he looked at the other side also. Guess what exactly the same problem.
Can show photos if interested.supreme shore weren't .
Best thing about the van ,,,,it tows Great
Good Luck with Yours, Cherry.

AnswerID: 500181

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:25

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:25
Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed we don't get a lemon!
FollowupID: 776281

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 18:11

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 18:11
Hi there, for what its worth all brands can fail at some stage all due to one person not doing their job properly. With that said our van different brand but can happen to any, fridge and battery not hooked up to anderson plug , shower not hooked up which caused the water to drain down the wall and on the floor and Camtec window cracked. Use the water with 240 and battery before driving out. Install a battery monitor its easeir to see if the battery is charging or not.
Enjoy
AnswerID: 500188

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 18:14

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 18:14
Good advice, will do! Thanks
FollowupID: 776223

Reply By: graham B9 - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 20:02

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 20:02
Hi Rebecca,

I work for a caravan manufacturer but not Supreme.

You will almost certainly find something wrong somewhere.

The first thing I would do is park the caravan on some level ground and then make sure the van is exactly level. The place a sprinkler on top of the van and will all the hatches and windows closed, run the sprinkler for an hour or so. Stay inside and looks for water leaks.

You want to find them before heading off and spending the night in the middle of storm somewhere running around with towels. Almost every van will have a leak somewhere. Pay attention to the front boot and if you have a front bed, the area around the bedhead.

If it has a 3 way fridge then cleck each way it operates.

Look at your electric brake wiring. There should be a wire running from a main wire to each brake and not just on one loop circuit. Check the sealing of the wires and not that they are just joined with a cap.

Fill the water tanks and check the pump or pumps.
AnswerID: 500193

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:26

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:26
Thanks for the advice!
FollowupID: 776282

Reply By: Member - Steve & Cecily W (QLD - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 20:31

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 20:31
I don't like to relay unsubstantiated "stories" but this is not third hand. My wife had lunch today with the owner of a 2 yo Supreme which has a broken chassis. It is going back for repairs but apparently the wall thickness on the imported chassis is not as per specification. I'm not sure how one would check this unless there is a section of the chassis which is not capped.
Haven't stopped smiling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 500196

Follow Up By: Kyle H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 21:02

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 21:02
Strange considering Supreme chassis are made by G&S an Australian manufacturer.
FollowupID: 776231

Follow Up By: graham B9 - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 21:47

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 21:47
I think G&S make the chassis for almost every caravan manufacturer in Victoria.
FollowupID: 776236

Follow Up By: Member - Steve & Cecily W (QLD - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 05:41

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 05:41
Graham, yes G & S do make the majority of them. The chassis on our van for instance has a G & S plate.
Kyle, I'm simply relaying what the owner told my wife, even stated the specified wall thickness and that of the one delivered. Perhaps they did import for a while? This van is 2 yrs old and is being collected by Supreme here in Brisbane and freighted to Melbourne for repairs.
Haven't stopped smiling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 776254

Follow Up By: Member - Steve & Cecily W (QLD - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 05:47

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 05:47
I meant to mention, its great to see that Supreme are standing by their product and fixing the issue for these people.
Haven't stopped smiling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 776255

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:28

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:28
The chassis wasn't imported I know that much.
FollowupID: 776283

Reply By: Geoff K4 - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 21:19

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 21:19
Hi,
We had an older Supreme 17'6" 1999 I think, (spirit) we couldn't fault it, darwin & back twice without any issues & lots of other long distance trips. Ours was made in Melbourne.
we sort of regret selling it, a real solid van, in my mind built heavy duty. We probably overloaded it a bit as it didn't have much capacity weight wise, still no issues. I think there is a off road group in NSW somewhere that use Supreme Offroad exclusively. We still think it was much better than our current Jayco. (waiting for the responses here)
Enjoy it.
Geoff
AnswerID: 500198

Reply By: Kyle H - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 21:21

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 21:21
Hi Rebeccah
We have a 2008 21'6" Territory and it has seen a lot of dirt road work. It has been to Innaminka, then to Birdsville via walkers crossing, down the GRR then home via the Tanami Track in 2008.
2010 we took it to Tassie and saw much of the out of the way tracks. 2011 took it to Cape York and parked it at Barmaga while we did the Old Telegraph track. It has never let us down and is still in very good condition. After the 2008 trip there was some warranty work that had to be done and it was completed with out question or problem at Supreme caravans in Campbellfield.
We have been considering updating but can't see a reason to as the current van still ticks all the boxes and is still in very good condition.
You will often get people referring to a friend of a friend had this and that problem well I have never had reason to be anything but very happy with my van.
AnswerID: 500199

Reply By: Skulldug - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 22:37

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 22:37
Rebecca H,

Once you begin your trip, I suggest you have a sniff in the cupboards regularly. Early warning of moisture without dismantling the van.

I have met folk on the road who are more than happy with their Supremes. Can't remember an unhappy one.

Thanks for the post. There is good advice on this site but unfortunately, there is currently a group that make it unpleasant.

Skull
AnswerID: 500207

Reply By: hopscotch - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 22:47

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 22:47
Rebecca H

Check all fixtures and fittings for correct operation along with checking for and defects or damage to interior and exterior surfaces.

Ensure that you receive a current weighbridge docket showing the actual weight and that it agrees with the compliance plate.

Ensure you have clear certificates relative to electrical/gas installations.

Ensure that the terms and conditions of warranty are clear and concise and in writing. eg in the event of a major failure will you be responsible for costs of returning van to factory.

These are issues which should apply to any van purchase.

If the van is being shipped to Tassie who is covering the risk of damage in transit?

.Suggest you contact me on hopscotch@flexinet.com.au
AnswerID: 500208

Follow Up By: GEMAC Solar and Power - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:21

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:21
I agree with Hopscotchs remarks on the electrical and gas creticicates.

Another thing worth having or getting someone to chech is the 12 volt system
Van manufacturers do not size the cable to allow for volt drop etc.
In my van the cable from the solar controller was les in cross sectional area than the cable from the solar panels.
I had about 1.3 volt drop from the controller to the batteries.
No wonder it took a while to charge them

Now been remedied by me as were a number of issues too numerous to mention.

The final straw with this manufacturer with a warranty issue was the steps.
When asked if he was going to replace them (reattach) after their removal, his comment was "don't you think we have done enough for you"

Noted a comment about sealing. Most manufacturers use split conduit to run cables below the van. Ensure the conduit is sealed on the outside as well as inside the conduit. Water will get in and stay where the penetration is.

Another issue I have seen on vans is if there is a lift up bed base.Check the fixings at the end of the gas struts. There is a lot of weight placed on these and most wooden structures will move over a year or so with this stress.
We had to "beef up" considerably the end of the bed base at this point

Not too sure who commented on manufacturers but they listed a couple of top end models and they too have issues.

It astounds me just how they manage to get away with it. These are not the first vans they have ever built.
I think there is NO Checking or followup on work and stages of work done at all.

Any way Becs all the best with the new van.
I do hope this has not put you off at all but the comments here are all valid and come from more expertise and experience than you can poke a stick at.
Maybe ExploreOz should start manufacturing caravans????

regards

Geoff

FollowupID: 776276

Reply By: Rebecca H - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:37

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:37
Thankyou to everybody that has given useful feedback. I appreciate the fact you have taken time out of your day to help me out. I will let you know how we get on on Saturday and then once we have a chance to test it out over xmas. Merry Christmas!
AnswerID: 500231

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 18:54

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 18:54
Good luck! We all look forward to hearing how yougo! Lynne
FollowupID: 776299

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Thursday, Dec 13, 2012 at 16:20

Thursday, Dec 13, 2012 at 16:20
Rebecca,
I hate to have to say this but, the early model Supreme Caravans were much sturdier than the new models. This is the reason for keeping it in this price range. The cost & keeping it in the price range has made them have to compromise. I was told that they tell new buyers this. We aren't into the new market so we aren't worried.We had a look at a brand newie just quickly inside .
We have looked at both old & new second hand Off Road vans. We noticed that to go really off road that the new ones undercarriage isn't as tough as the old & the door didn't seal properly but this newer model was second hand too. The people there on the day we visited were very good.
Don't know about after sales.
Even the top of the market Vans can have things go wrong. Supreme used to have a terrific reputation.
Good luck with it & enjoy Christmas.
Take care, safe travels
Bye for now, Ma.
FollowupID: 776339

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Thursday, Dec 13, 2012 at 17:05

Thursday, Dec 13, 2012 at 17:05
Back again, Rebecca,
What have you bought? On Road or Off Road rated & what Model?
Some one mentioned an Outback, I didn't know Supreme made one.
We were looking at the Getaway model.
Bye again Ma
FollowupID: 776341

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 22:14

Saturday, Dec 15, 2012 at 22:14
We had a classic custom built with offroad independent suspension and stacks of extras such as more solar panels and water tanks etc. we had a look today and the structural side of things all looks pretty good. Few concerns with some finishes and they forgot to do a few things so fingers crossed they sort it out before it is shipped next week.
FollowupID: 776484

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:36

Sunday, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:36
Hi Rebecca,
That's good news. Which dealership made yours, for further reference for us, If they're good to deal with. Hope they can get the Problems fixed in time. Have a great Trip.
Take care, Safe travels.
Bye for now Ma.
FollowupID: 776524

Follow Up By: Rebecca H - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012 at 08:49

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012 at 08:49
It was made in Melbourne. My email is rebecca.harding@education.tas.gov.au
I'm happy to run you through pros and cons if you want to get in touch.
FollowupID: 776686

Sponsored Links