Warn M8000 Winch - What oil?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 16:11
ThreadID: 9953 Views:2733 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've just dismantled my M8000 winch after it failed pulling down a rather large pine tree in the back yard. It has always been dificult to unfurl and after looking at the solidified green gunk inside I can see why. The problem was caused by the previous owner(s) re-assembling it incorrectly causing the drum spline to disengage from the final planetory gear. I filled it up with 80W/90 gear oil as an interim measure. Warn don't appear to have any info on maintenance.

I'm glad the winch failed where it did and not when it was pulling frankenstein up a hill.
The pine tree finally gave way with the cable doubled up and tied some 15 metres up the tree with the 4wd sitting behind two logs burried in the ground and the winch almost stalled.

Alan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 20:21

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 20:21
I contacted Warn (USA) about 12 months ago with the same question when I asked them about servicing mine.

The answer was 'don't'

The reply indicated that everything inside was designed for 'life of winch' and it should only ever be pulled apart in event of failure (which applies to you).

So getting official info from them may not be easy, they may point you towards an 'authorised' repairer.
AnswerID: 44021

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:59

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:59
Any oil will work fine, the 80W/90 oil is a good choice.
Beware NOT to fill it up, it requires only a small amount in the bottom, as long as the bottom gear picks up the oil. Have read the warn manual on how much you should put in, cannot remember the exact amount but when I measured it out it was a very small amount and far less than what you would expect, in the order of 20-30ml. Definately do not fill it so that the oil level is above any off the seals.
AnswerID: 44043

Sponsored Links